Thread: Looking for action screws?? Anyone have a good supplier?

Basic Member

Looking for action screws?? Anyone have a good supplier?

It seems everywhere I look the major suppliers are "out of stock" on savage action screws. Where do you guys order your action screws? This is not really a wanting to buy question but rather I'm trying to find a good supplier. Need all sizes but specifically a couple sets for HS Precision stocks (PSV118) DBM stocks. Thanks

Basic Member
    I've been ordering mine from Savage Directly, but the stocks I'm using are built with the intent to use the same screws. A few guys on here cut and thread their own. I would like to get into that more down the road as you can make them exactly what you need that way.

buxman66
    Its a standard thread dia. so you can actually very easily make your own. I believe its 1/4-28 but not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by buxman66 View Post
    Its a standard thread dia. so you can actually very easily make your own. I believe its 1/4-28 but not 100% sure.
    1/4-28 is correct. Just go to you local hardware store and pick up bolts in 1/4-28 and grind them down to your needed length, then clean up threads with a file, and there you go.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    I just picked up a bunch at my local Ace Hardware. 45 - 60 cents each depending on the length.

I just ordered some from Savage. Put in my serial number and got the exact ones for my model, plus free shipping if you buy something from their clearance section so I ordered a Savage T-shirt as well.

IMHO the ones from savage are not as good as the ones from hardware store that you trim to size yourself
    the heads are deeper & stronger-but the heads wont work in front position of hfp rifles without trimming
    usually the rear one can be had in proper length -no trimming needed in blind ,hfp, or dbm rifles
    I keep several on hand -

I ordered some of these in a couple of lengths for my builds requiring longer-than-standard screws. They will require cutting to the correct length. Also the head diameter is a little larger than needed so they will require a little grinding around the edge to get a good fit. Otherwise great product. I ordered boxes of 25, so I'll never run out lol.
    http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com...el_p/16000.htm

buxman66
    Same place I've used for hard to find oddball fasteners.

Basic Member
    The ones from the hardware store are better in my opinion. I like to get the longer ones with more of the shaft unthreaded and cut to length. No need to be threaded all the way.

I counter sunk the action screws in my H-S stock and used regular 1/4-28 Allen head screws.

I'd much rather use TORX screws than Allen head so I'm going to hunt around for some locally. If I hadn't over torqued the front action screw I wouldn't have stripped it out and needed to replace it.

I have a 3 screw action and have the front two screws torqued to 30 inch lbs.