Thread: need info axis lovers

chunk

need info axis lovers

What are the advantages and disadvantages of building an axis over a model 10 or 11? I am going to build a 450 bushy gun for pig killing and want to do it cheaply. Is there anything I need to know that id different other than the trigger?

Thanks for the help

Basic Member
    Only true difference is the recoil lug and action screw spacing. I would happily take a built Axis pig hunting. Also due to the action being enclosed I would believe that it is more rigid than the model 10.

Basic Member
    The only disadvantage (at least for me) was the lack of stock options. With the new SSS and Boyd's stocks that's changed drastically, as long as you don't have a problem with laminate stocks vs synthetic (I have a shooting buddy who hates laminate stocks, so it's still a deal breaker for him).

You can put an Accu-trigger (with some minor work) in an Axis. Timney and Rifle Basix both make replacements too.

I just did one build with an Axis, and have two more in the works. Personally, I think they're great actions to work with.

chunk
    Thanks for the info guys. Has anyone that you know of built a 450 bushmaster on this rifle platform. My main issue with rifle would be feed issues.

steveNChunter
    You will need to start with a short action, .473" case head chambering, .22-250, .243, 7mm-08, or, .308. Then I'm guessing you will have to get a mag that fits a .223 Axis, since the SAAMI max OAL for both .223 and .450 bushy is 2.26". Then you might, *MIGHT* be able to bend the feed lips out on the top of the mag and then grind them down a little to make the opening wide enough to accomodate the .450 bushy. I have never done it or even seen it done but in theory it should work and the .223 mag will fit the stock of any other short action stock. It will be trial and error but I bet it would work.