Thread: Choate Tactical Custom Savage Stock full adjustable

Dave Garrett

Choate Tactical Custom Savage Stock full adjustable

Choate Tactical Custom Savage Stock full adjustable... Has anyone used this stock? If you have Please reveiw its good and bad points. I need a stock for a 338 Edge with 30in McGowan barrel. The Barrel is extra heavy and only tapers to 1 inch at muzzle. Any other ideas for a heavy duty adjustable stock under $500... Thanks for any help... Dave

I have the custom sniper that I use with all my short action sf receivers. All of my barrels are light varmint but there is a ton of extra room for a full varmint or bull. It is very heavy even in the sniper configuration. I added a limb saver recoil pad, recoil sensitive. It's great for range work. Accuracy is not an issue, I have a couple of B&C Medalist and a Whidden V-block stock and don't see any difference in groups switching back and forth. Hope this helps.
    Claude

Basic Member
    I have the non adjustable one and am very happy with it. I wish I would have gotten the adjustable as a buddy has it and is very happy with it. Some that have smaller hands are not thrilled with how large the grip is. I know my buddy has ground on his and made finger grooves to help with it. My only complaint would be I wish I could come up with a good solution to have a bit more grip over the plastic.

RiverSink
    I have one and like it a lot, I can't really think of anything bad to say about it. It is a little on the heavy side but with a 338 I would think that it is a plus. Good luck

Basic Member
    The only real problem for most people is that the stock is heavier than a lot of the other stocks on the market. But, just going by the description of your barrel choice, I somehow doubt a couple extra pounds in the stock is going to be a deal breaker.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

smoooth
    I have the regular Choate Tactical and made my own drop down butt plate for a better fit. It is heavy, which is a plus for accuracy, but sucks to carry. The only real complaint I have is with the grip. I have rather large hands and there is very little room between the grip and trigger guard. I will be making a new trigger guard very soon to fix that problem.

Good luck!

Basic Member
    I have the non adjustable model myself and like it. as mentioned it is a heavy stock and not really meant for carrying in the field but it works great when shooting from a bench.

Bruce

ig25
    I am currently using a choate tac. Stock on my 300rum. It is a 30" tube that is 1" at the muzzle. The stock will be replaced as funds come available. It's a very sloppy fit at the action. At the tang the tang sets up off the stock. When righting down the action screws it try's to cant and does not run straight with the stock. At the forehand it looks like the aluminum bedding is coming through the overlay. Maybe I got a bad one. I do realize that it's a lot of weight. Right around 20 pounds. Looking for its replacement now.

Basic Member
    The tang is supposed to float btw. I love mine could be better if grip areas were stippled.

I wonder if you could stipple it with a soldering iron?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

ig25
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    The tang is supposed to float btw. I love mine could be better if grip areas were stippled.
    A bit. But not to the point you can see day light. If you flush ejection port with stock day light through trigger also.
    Just sloppy

CHymen
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I have the non adjustable one and am very happy with it. I wish I would have gotten the adjustable as a buddy has it and is very happy with it. Some that have smaller hands are not thrilled with how large the grip is. I know my buddy has ground on his and made finger grooves to help with it. My only complaint would be I wish I could come up with a good solution to have a bit more grip over the plastic.
    I contacted Choate one day about their adjustable stock. I told him I had the non-adjustable one. Mr. Choate told me I could send it in and they could convert it to the adjustable model. I didn't ask how much though. There is an adjustable butt plate available for the non-adjustable stock that allows up & down adjustment. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will find the web site for you.

Basic Member
    I think it's like $250 to convert them. The parts are like $150 I'm not brave enough to try to put the cheek piece on my self. I just built a riser for it, I may put the adjustable pad on. I need to finish some of my other projects first though. The new Tacticool needs a better recoil pad and put the anchuntz rail in it. I still want to stipple it or find something to make it grippier.