Thread: 2 coyote morning

ShawneeB

2 coyote morning

Coyotes got my chickens, then ate my cat. That was it.

Fur season started and put out out 8 snares a month ago. This morning paid off, 2 in snares when I checked early AM. $30 for the pair from a local, he skins them out and sells them to a buyer.

Call rifle is a Howa 1500 in 223, suppressed. Of course the Stevens 200 243 I found NIB will get to go too. Turbo Dogg, Sit and spin. Been so busy I haven't had time to make stands but now they are getting active, I'll make time.

Night shotgun with lights starts in KY Feb. Got some "Dead coyote" #4 buck on the way.

Rupe
    You have coyote seasons there? We get to blast them anytime here. I need to get out there and call some in soon. There's a bunch of them around.

Congrates on the coyotes and for selling them too!

Rups

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    You have coyote seasons there? We get to blast them anytime here.
    Here in KY, there's a little variance in coyote hunting and trapping laws, and more may be changing soon(for the better IMO).

You can hunt coyotes year-round during daylight hours. Basically just your standard grab a rifle/shotgun, calls, and go hunting. There is no bag limit for hunting coyotes.

Trapping has a specific season and rules.

And, the last I heard it's still being discussed but hasn't been decided on, but KY may soon allow night hunting of coyotes as well.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

I headed out this afternoon to do some calling, came around a corner and saw 3 logger crew trucks coming down the hill, I pulled to the side of the road and stopped to let them by and the lead one didn't see me - plowed into my truck at about 30mph. Serpentine belt gone, radiator into the fan, truck is 22" shorter now. Totaled. Drove it home with no water pump, alternator, or power steering hit 260* as I pulled into the driveway. I'm done hunting for a bit until I can get another truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I headed out this afternoon to do some calling, came around a corner and saw 3 logger crew trucks coming down the hill, I pulled to the side of the road and stopped to let them by and the lead one didn't see me - plowed into my truck at about 30mph. Serpentine belt gone, radiator into the fan, truck is 22" shorter now. Totaled. Drove it home with no water pump, alternator, or power steering hit 260* as I pulled into the driveway. I'm done hunting for a bit until I can get another truck.
    Sorry to hear about your truck Hotolds - I'm sure you had a few choice words for the driver of the logging truck.

As for coyote hunting, for you guys in Kentucky (and anyone else here in the midwest region) how well does calling work for you? Calling out west is one thing - they'll come running from miles away, but here in the east it seems to be a totally different ballgame.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

ShawneeB
    Rupe, Yup we can hunt them year round any weapon (cept atlatls, so far) I heard you Orgonites tie them to fence posts with snares and use shotguns so's ya can hit em

Hot, that stinks! I had the side of a pickup wiped out in WA state by loggers too.

Squirell they changed it couple months now but it's tricky to read but read the new law word for word and it's cool, hence night shotgun is now legal at night year round, night shotgun "with lights"' Feb 1-May something. Got my red eyes night light both gun and headlamp (night eyes, good stuff). Trapping has to be fur-season Nov 9 or so till I think 31 MAr, $5 trap lic, trap tag with address/ID or a free KY wildlife ID#.

I had a couple gray fox too but slipped the "relaxed lock" snares. One coyote pulled up 2 pieces 16" rebar T's driven all the way in at an angle, took rebar, trap and all.

J Baker. I haven't called yet but am ready now, caller and decoy. I am sure it works here, I can hear them so think a locator will get them yapping back and tease them in with distressed rabbit or kiyi maybe, just have to try. I know we got a buttload of them, and fox too. I am meeting more coyote people now though and some interested in trying calling with me. Went to the grain and feed with both in my truck on the way to the fur guy and an old cattleman offered his place for me to hunt too.

Here's my calling rifle. Howa 1500 .223 suppressed. Light is on there just to try. I can ID with crosshairs 100 yards easily. Got a Nutmeg Prairie with #1 strippling (like Steves strippling) coming in a few says. The scope is OK but going on a MK2 FV SR which I'll order Mon along with a 22 hornet for a customer. I got a Leupold 3-9 x 40 VX2 CDS for the Stevens 200 243 and a leupy fan but just may do a Vortex Viper 4-16 for the Howa, or a similar power Leup. Just curious what all the hoopla is on the Vipers.

Last edited by ShawneeB; 12-28-2013 at 08:24 PM.

tbartley
    There is a guy from KY on youtube. His ID is Adamrich11 and the name for his vids is DeadZone Outdoors. He hunts yotes in Western KY and uses both e-caller and manual callers. Very entertaining. Do a search on youtube for KY coyote hunting and there are several videos to watch and see how people bring em in.

Nice dogs Shawnee and nice rifle, too.

ShawneeB
    Thanks Tbartley for the compliments and the info. They were a nice prime fun, pretty good this time of year. Mating in Jan, hope to find some "less aware" if there is such a thing in a coyote!

I'll check them tube out see what I can learn from them. Where you at in KY? Darn good info on the utube.

ShawneeB
    Here ya go Squirel, the "revised" page on coyote as they keep moving the url. Go to KYFW and "season dates" > "coyote"

Coyotes may be hunted year-round during daylight hours.
    Coyotes may be hunted year-round after daylight hours; however, the following restrictions apply:

• Lights or night-vision may be used: Feb 1 - May 31.
    • Lights and night-vision may not be used: June 1 - January 31.

Other items of note:

• Artificial lights and night-vision equipment shall not be connected to or cast from a mechanized vehicle.
    • Only shotguns may be used to hunt coyotes after daylight hours.
    • Single projectiles (slugs) are prohibited.

Rupe
    I can see the same people that wrote your laws are the same ones.that write ours. Do this don't do that but if your going to do that then tou must have this etc etc etc :-(

Rupe

ShawneeB
    All game laws are confusing now a-days. Used to be so simple and it worked too.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info ShawneeB.

J.Baker,
    Calling coyotes here in KY does work, though it's best (for me anyway) in the more open farming areas of the state. However, it certainly isn't like it is out west. Here you may hunt several days just for one or two yotes. Out west they seem to think it's a bad day if they go on one hunt and don't at least see a yote. Due to the tighter confines in most of KY, using an e-caller with remote and a decoy is by far the most productive set-up. Personally, I like using hand calls just for the increased challenge, but my success rate reflects it too.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

ShawneeB
    I have a Turbo Dogg ecaller and the Sit and spin primos. The sit and spin supposed to work pretty darn good. I've yet to get out and try, soon! Tried out my nighteyes headlamp last night, pouring rain so just walked the yard a bit. Pretty cool.

Here in Pennsylvania coyotes will soon be a $25 Dollar bounty

Rupe
    I'm going to check and see if Oregon has any bounties or if anyone is buying pelts close by.

Rupe

ShawneeB
    Bounty money is good After the initial rush of get rich quick "bounty hunters" who will give up soon when they find it'd not so easy! KY has such a problem with them I'm surprised they haven't started one. I'm OK with the way it is though.

Rupe
    Oregon doesn't have one either. The state hires pro hunters to shoot them out of airplanes. Then some counties have contests if they have a coyote problem. That helps curb the problem some what.

Rupe

tbartley
    Shawnee, I'm over off the Mountain Parkway outside Clay City. There are yotes all over the place over here.

Just got my Sit n Spin and will try that out w/ the foxpro. I handmade some calls over the holidays n will have to see how they do. I'm anxious to try these out.

Couple years ago, in August, I was hunting a narrow hollow in Rowan County...grass in the bottom and steep up each side. The owner was having probs with yotes trying to kill his dog everytime he went for a walk on his property. About 30 seconds into the call, 4 little amigos popped out of nowhere and were walking in line right in front of me. I was in the woodline and wished I had a shotgun. Was hunting with a bolt gun and learned many lessons on that day. I'm learning all the time. After I finished that day, the remaining yotes left that property for new ground. He hasn't heard or seen any since, so problem solved, I guess.

ShawneeB
    T. Oh your way up there! I been to the fort, talked with the gunsmith there at least 2 hrs. GF never said a word. I hear them all around me at the other farms. No problem hunting them too, no one likes them around here. Friend lost several goats and a couple calfs this past spring and summer.

I like the sit and spin, many over on PM like it too as much or better than the mojo. Got a good action. What did you make for calls? I made a few when I was in Maine, split branch with birch bark reed. They make noise but never tried them to call. Up there we could rifle night hunt IF you had a coyote call with you so to cover all bases, we had calls since we always had rifles.

Wow, that's calling. I'd have a hard time figuring which to shoot first to try and get a second shot.

Rupe. Talking hunting regs I was reading AMerican Hunter on ducks in MD. You must have a MD resident in the boat with you. How can people keep up with all this stuff and who dreams it all up.