Thread: Coyote

Basic Member

Coyote

Just doing a drive by to let you know that I'm still around and still shooting my Savages

I went out early this morning on a friend's ranch and set up on one of my favorite places. I put my FoxPro at the bottom of a dry wash in a clump of sagebrush and set up on a side hill over looking the usual approach area about 70 yards away. I was sitting behind a big sagebrush clump with my Savage Model 11, (heavily modified with a Choate stock, PacNor barrel and SSS trigger, bolt handle, etc.) in 22.250 using a set of Stoney Point shooting sticks to elevate me over the brush.

I started the jack rabbit distress call and after about 10 minutes saw a nice coyote come over the ridge across the valley. He worked down the side hill and stopped about 75 yards above my caller for an easy 150 yard shot.

The nice thing about the heavy barreled 22.250 with the 50 grain Varmint Grenades is that I can see the impact and he was dead right there.

Last edited by Fjold; 12-28-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Things are looking up for us in Pa. as coyote's will soon be worth $25 dollars

Team Savage
    Lets see, $25.00 will almost buy you another box of bullets? Well worth the effort and breaking close to even? Not counting the fun of being out shooting.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

tbartley
    Ahhh...the always reliable Choate Ult Varmint still being used. I love those stocks. They can get a bit heavy if ya have to lug em around for long, but they are great stocks. That is a nice yote and it looks like it's an XL in size.

ShawneeB
    Very nice, both the rifle (like real nice rifle) and the coyote.

I think sticks are pretty darn handy not to mention versatile. Even saw a guy used his to hang the coyote for skinning in the field. Got a long pair, offhand sticks I made from oak octagons long ago, bout 3/4 stock. They are more a blackpowder plains hunter style. I'm going to make a pair sitting size for my calling rifle.