Thread: Stocks?

varanid

Stocks?

I know Boyds has started making replacement stocks, but was wondering if there were other options? I was given a Savage Axis for Christmas and it seems like a good shooter but I *hate* the stock and would like to replace it.

Also, has anyone used the Boyd's stocks yet? I know they're recent, would love some reviews from users....

varanid
    $225? Owch.
    I'm leaning towards a Nikon Prostaff or Buckmaster, either the 3-9 or 4-12 (not sure yet) as far as scopes and want to add a bipod to help with stability. I'm down with spending 100-150 on a stock if it's good but 225 is a bit high, particularly coupled with the other stuff I need to buy for it. With a 90 dollar trigger and a 225 dollar stock I'd be most of the way to like a 110 or something.

Also, I'm new to rifles; how hard is it to replace a stock?

rsh4364
    Boyds has a vid. on there sight,looks very easy,my Boyds should be here Monday gonna do my .223 and .308.

kirk2022
    I have A Prairie Hunter for my Axis 223, And A thumbhole for my Marlin 60. Myself I am very happy with both of them. I had to open up the bolt release slot just A small bit for it to release all the way on the Axis stock. The Marlin stock was A drop in and shoot. Check A couple posts down and you will find A lot of info on stocks

varanid
    If I replace the stock would it basically need to be resighted? With as backordered as the Boyd's are I'm debating buying and zeroing in a new scope while I wait for them to get in stock, but if I'd have to totally redo it after replacing the stock I might as well save my ammo...

rsh4364
    Read the posts 6 down from this one,should get your ?s answered.ordered 2 axis stocks and 1 for 17hmr on 12-19-13 all shipped 12-23-13...

kirk2022
    When you mount the scope it will be bore sighted to the barrel. The action and barrel will still be floated in the new stock. Any scope adjustment will be very minor, 1 group and you should be good to go.

steveNChunter
    I know Boyds has started making replacement stocks, but was wondering if there were other options?
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ - These guys do, but their stock is $225, whereas the Boyd's starts at $99. I see no reason to consider anything but the Boyd's. Easily the best stocks for the money IMO.

Here's my Axis stainless .223 in a Boyd's Prairie hunter, pepper color, stippling pattern #1, stainless trigger guard also from Boyd's.

I have done a review of sorts in this thread: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538478

There is a difference between a $100 Boyds Stock and a $225 stock from SSS.

The inletting on the SSS stock is CNC machined, and provides a glove-like fit for the barreled action. In fact, the two I have fit so snugly there's no need to even think about glass bedding it. The SSS stock also has metal inserts (not really pillars) in the action screw holes to prevent any chance of compressing the wood when tightening the screws.

The inletting on a Boyds stock is a little loose fitting meaning you'll likely have to glass bed it to get a proper snug fit. This is because they use a multi-head pantograph-style duplicator for the whole process (outside and the inlet) and the stylus of the pantograph just can't be as exacting as CNC work. If you pay someone else to do the glass bedding you're usually looking at at least $100. If you do it yourself you'll have $20-40 in materials and a couple hours of your time, so about the same ($100). That puts it at about the same price as the SSS stock.

The one advantage Boyds offers is that their stock comes pre-finished where the SSS stock you will have to finish yourself.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

steveNChunter
    The SSS stock also has metal inserts (not really pillars) in the action screw holes to prevent any chance of compressing the wood when tightening the screws.
    My Boyd's stock has this as well.

The inletting on the SSS stock is CNC machined, and provides a glove-like fit for the barreled action.
    Just because a stock has been CNC machined does not mean it's perfect on every stock or for every action. My stock could be a little "snugger", and if I can't get under 1/2 MOA after load workup I'll probably bed it. This is copied and pasted from Boyd's website:

All finished parts have been CNC inlet to Boyds' House Action. Variations may exist from firearm to firearm, minor fitting may be required to get that perfect fit to your firearm.

varanid
    OK. I'll wait for more people to have more time testing them before I decide; heck they've got a month lead time right now anyway. I'll get my other stuff first. Picked up a scope today (Redfield Revenge on close out for 119) and I'm trying to find a decent bipod since I frankly can't hold the gun stead worth a flip. I guess shooting sticks would be another option but I like having *one* thing to keep track of instead of several seperate things.

rsh4364
    varanid,I don't think they are 4wks behind,just their website is.I ordered 2 axis stocks and 1 17hmr stock on 12-19-13,all shipped on 12-23-13,order on line or call them,you might be pleasantly surprised,I received mine 12-30-13,installed and love them.

SteveNChunter that is the best looking axis I've seen yet!

Anybody make a new synthetic stock yet?

steveNChunter
    SteveNChunter that is the best looking axis I've seen yet!

Anybody make a new synthetic stock yet?
    thanks for the compliment but it's really nothing special since they make those stocks every day now. I like it though and I believe I'll get another Axis in the near future and slap a Boyd's stock on it. For the total investment it can't be beat. Can you buy a brand new stainless laminate rifle anywhere for $429 ($329 for a stainless Axis + $100 for a basic Boyd's stock)? Not anywhere that I know of. I don't know of an aftermarket synthetic stock for the Axis yet but I'd say there will eventually be one. If Bell & Carlson would make their Medalist stock to fit the Axis that would be a great choice. Maybe they will someday.