Thread: Left handed action for right eyed shooters?

Maxxwell86

Left handed action for right eyed shooters?

First off let me say I am cross eye dominant. Left handed and right eyed. I have been shooting right handed for 50 years even in competition so I have no problem with it, but have been thinking about experimenting.

Any right eyed lefties (not the political kind) out there who have tried shooting a left hand action? It can't be all that different than a dual ported, left load, right eject can it?

I'm sure everybody has an opinion but I would like to hear from you lefties who have actually tried this. What are the pros and cons you have experienced?

Basic Member
    If you want a rough idea, just get on the other side of your right handed gun and cycle it a coupla times. It would be about the same scenario only a mirror image. I tried to shoot a left bolt gun right handed once to see for myself......it didn't work for me.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Been shooting leftie and rightie actions since i was a kid. It's not that big of a deal. I am also lefthanded and right eye dominant
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

thomae
    I have taught folks who were right handed and left eye dominant. I encourage them to use, and they seem to work well with, left handed rifles. It is far easier to teach your muscles to adapt to an off-side rifle than it is to get your eye to switch dominance.

I knew one fellow who had the strangest rifle hold: He shot a right handed rifle but leaned his head way over and used his left eye through the scope. I don't know how he did it, and not get scope eye.

That said, if shooting competition where an eye patch is allowed, covering the eye that is not looking through the sights solves the problem. The only issue is that it is not very practical when hunting.

pitsnipe
    Left handed and right dominant. Shoot left action left handed. I just position the ocular eye piece cover (Butler Creek) so that when open, it "blocks" my right eye. My left eye then can see through the scope and no right eye squinting. Much like off dominant trap shooters "haze" out a spot in their shooting glasses to do the same.

Snipe

Basic Member
    I'm right handed, and shoot rifles and shotguns left handed... easy pizzy...
    Forgive My Sins.... Jesus .... Save My Soul

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    I have taught folks who were right handed and left eye dominant. I encourage them to use, and they seem to work well with, left handed rifles. It is far easier to teach your muscles to adapt to an off-side rifle than it is to get your eye to switch dominance.

I knew one fellow who had the strangest rifle hold: He shot a right handed rifle but leaned his head way over and used his left eye through the scope. I don't know how he did it, and not get scope eye.

That said, if shooting competition where an eye patch is allowed, covering the eye that is not looking through the sights solves the problem. The only issue is that it is not very practical when hunting.
    My 12yr old does this and for everything I'm my power couldn't break it but he shoots excellent so I'll just leave it alone. I have even put him on a left handed gun and he doesn't like that at all

Basic Member
    I had a buddy that was like that too. He just bought a right hand run and just forced himself to do it. He finally got past it and now the muscle memory is there and he doesnt think about the left hand shooting now. Im left/left and I shoot both eyes open. I can't stand having one eye shut.

Team Savage
    If it counts, I'am right handed and tried shooting a left hand actioned rig in an ambi stock to get the feel. I liked it!
    Finally modified a right hand thumbhole stock for the left hand action. It's set up for bench shooting and I'am liking it more than my right hand rigs. I wasn't doing anything with my left hand anyway so why not operate the bolt and feed ammo with my "free" left hand? Works for me!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Maxxwell86
    I may have not been clear in my first post (figures). I want to shoot a left hand action on my right side with my right eye and use my most dexterous hand to operate the bolt, keep my right hand grip, cheek weld and stay in the shoulder pocket for more consistent followups.

Like pitsnipe, I use my scope cover to block my left eye and then I can shoot either both eyes open or left eye closed.

Sorry if i wasn't clear

Team Savage
    As far as I'am concerned, you made yourself crystal clear. Hope I didn't throw anybody off with "my" post.
    Let's see, left hand rifle being shot right handed. Sighting with your right eye? Operating the bolt with your left hand? Don't see any problems with that setup.
    Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 12-27-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.