Thread: shot a team fclass match today and was told buy someone that my rifle is illegal

Basic Member

shot a team fclass match today and was told buy someone that my rifle is illegal

like it says specs on the gun:

mod.12 lrpv rblp
    stock hs precsion stock
    stock red blade trigger
    sinclair gen 3 fclass bipod
    30" shilen select match bull barrel 308win 1-10
    barrel mirage shield
    egw 20moa base
    burris extreme rings
    sightron III scope--- 10x50x60 lrirmoa-2 scope
    kydex cheek piece

total weight 17 lbs 3 oz

was told told today by a guy i beat regularly (very) that my rifle should be illegal to shoot becuase it takes away from what f t/r is meant to be (he told me is was started for hunting use guns only). i asked him what is illegal on it he pointed out that i have a mirage shield and the bipod is wrong he also corrected me in telling me that a harris bipod is the only acceptable bipod to use.
    he then went on to tell me that my 155gr. bullets are to light and should be in the 175-210 range to shoot in this class.after he said his piece i brought up his concerns to the match director who inspected the rifle(he already knew it was good ) and said it made all specs for f t/r . have you ever heard such bull crap before i also informed him that per fclass rules you can not take the legs and tuck them under the slits in his mat to preload his bipod ...boy did that set him off.

just venting alittle

larry

Basic Member
    Sounds like an idiot.

Basic Member
    Good Morning,

I have basicly the same setup and am shooting the Berger 185's out of it with good success at 600 yards. But on Friday I tried the same load at 1000 yards and ran out of scope adjustment. My 185's are only shooting at 2650 FPS and must be dropping like a rock at 1000 yards. Would you mind sharing the load data with me that you are using on the 155's? I have a few laying around that I might try. Hopefully with the faster 155's, my scope will have enough elevation to work at 1000, if I can get them to shoot at 300 yards. Of course if you are shooting a hot load, I will work up to it.

Thanks, Ken

Sounds legal to me. Also sounds like he needs to improve his shooting skills.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Would you mind sharing the load data with me that you are using on the 155's? I have a few laying around that I might try.
    My rifle load for 155's is 44.9grns Varget with WLR primers.

Please work up to this load.

I personally have better luck with 168's and 185's.

Basic Member
    mine are a full grain hotter like dennis said you need to work up your load watching for pressure signs as you go.

lapua cases (large primer pockets) neck turned primer pockets uniformed and sized with a bushing die w/ a .334 bushing
    fed 210m primers
    155 gr. amax heads sorted by ogive
    46.0 gr varget
    seated 2.218 ogive or for MY rifle .005 off the lands using a micrometer seating die
    then check for bullet run out and adjust it accordingly(hornady checker)
    i anneal the brass every 3rd firing
    i also ultrasonic clean the case then tumble in dry media to get all the crude out of the cases

@ delaware ken this load has no problems getting out to 1k just remember with the lighter bullet wind reading and waiting for that right wind is a must i have waited what seems like forever for the correct wind inications to come then put as many as i can till it changes. i spot for my son using my .223 and i'll tell him to hold then when i tll him to go for it he'll real off a 5 shot group like its nothing using 75 gr.or 80gr amax heads.

for me this load chrono's @ 2925 fps

but again like dennis siad start and work up then start seating the bullet in and out to get that final load
    Last edited by lal357; 04-28-2013 at 09:16 AM.

ODA 0121
    "by a guy i beat regularly (very)"

There it is!

RStewart
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbro View Post
    Sounds like an idiot.
    That says it all!

getting out to 1k just remember with the lighter bullet wind reading and waiting for that right wind is a must
    +1 on the above

stangfish
    8.25 Kilos is max, you are at 7.8.

(b) F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR) - A rifle restricted to the chambers of unmodified .308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO
    or unmodified .223 Remington/5.56mm x 45 NATO cartridge cases. The rifle must be fired off a bipod, rigidly
    attached to the rifle’s for-end, and/or a sling. Any bipod, meeting the definition of a bipod, may be used but its
    weight must be included in the rifle’s overall weight. Any safe, manually operated trigger is permitted. Any
    sighting system is permitted, but it must be included in the rifle’s overall weight.
    (1) The rifle’s overall weight, including all attachments such as sights, sling and bipod, must not exceed
    8.25 kilograms (approximately 18 pounds). An “attachment” also includes any external object, other
    than the competitor and apparel, which recoils or partially recoils with the rifle, or which is clamped,
    held, or joined in any way to the rifle for each shot, or which even slightly raises with the lifting of the
    rifle from its rest/firing point.
    (2) The rifle must be fired in the prone position from the shoulder of the competitor using rifle as defined in
    3.4.1(b).

(b) F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR) Rests - A bipod and/or sling are the only allowed front supports for the F-TR
    rifle. The rifle may be supported by a bipod and/or sling and a rear support which provide no positive
    mechanical method for returning it to its precise point of aim for the prior shot. Subject to:
    (1) The bipod and/or sling and rear support may not be attached to each other.
    (2) The use of any form of a table is prohibited. Separate flat boards or plates not exceeding the
    dimensions of the individual rests by two inches are allowed to be placed under the front and/or rear
    rests. In the case of a bipod, the board or plate may not exceed the width of the bipod by 2", nor be
    more than 12" front to rear. See Rule 3.4.1(a)(1).
    No leveling screws or protrusions are allowed on these boards or plates. They must be flat on the top
    and bottom.
    (3) A bipod is a device with no more than two legs that touch the firing point. It must be rigidly attached to
    the forend of the rifle. The bipod may have rigid or folding legs, and may be adjustable to compensate
    for the uneven surface of the firing point.
    (4) No portion of the rifle’s butt or forend shall rest directly on the ground or any hard surface. A rear
    rabbit eared bag, small sandbag or a gloved hand may be used to support the rifle’s butt. Any rear
    support employed shall not be attached, clamped or held to the rifle in any manner. The rear support
    may not be fixed to or protrude into the firing point. Mechanically adjustable rear support is not
    allowed.
    (5) Any number or type of objects may be placed beneath the bipod or rear support, to compensate for
    variations in height or slope of the firing point.
    (6) The bipod and rear rest may be adjusted after any shot to compensate for rest movement or settling.
    A sling may be used in conjunction with the rest(s), but its weight will be included in the rifle’s overall
    weight (Rule 3.4.(b)).
    Last edited by stangfish; 04-28-2013 at 12:46 PM.

SWGC JBMIII
    If he got in ur head and effected ur score,maybe it worked ? I've been known to do stuff like that (not as director),sometimes all it takes is one word. Its a competition people... LOL. Yes, I love to talk Smak.

Basic Member
    naw its hard to get in my head when i'm shooting this was before i started the match i was just getting my gear set up one. one thing is the club matches are non sactioned matches but they still follow the f class rules. but since i shoot sactioned matches from time to time i make sure my gear is legal.

SWGC JBMIII
    Good...It is a two way street,might have gotten into his. Long range Shooters mostly are obsessive compulsive individuals, hard for most to control direction of the brain in the moment. Can be a advantage.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the load info on the 155's. I really appreciate it. Before I drop the 185's, I'm going to go to a 30 MOA scope base instead of the 20 MOA. If that doesn't get me there at 1000 yards, I guess I'll be forced to go to a lighter bullet.

Thanks again, Ken

Bamaal
    The guy is a putz and doesn't know what he is talking about. Ignore him.

chuckbuster243
    Quote Originally Posted by lal357 View Post
    like it says specs on the gun:

mod.12 lrpv rblp
    stock hs precsion stock
    stock red blade trigger
    sinclair gen 3 fclass bipod
    30" shilen select match bull barrel 308win 1-10
    barrel mirage shield
    egw 20moa base
    burris extreme rings
    sightron III scope--- 10x50x60 lrirmoa-2 scope
    kydex cheek piece

total weight 17 lbs 3 oz

was told told today by a guy i beat regularly (very) that my rifle should be illegal to shoot becuase it takes away from what f t/r is meant to be (he told me is was started for hunting use guns only). i asked him what is illegal on it he pointed out that i have a mirage shield and the bipod is wrong he also corrected me in telling me that a harris bipod is the only acceptable bipod to use.
    he then went on to tell me that my 155gr. bullets are to light and should be in the 175-210 range to shoot in this class.after he said his piece i brought up his concerns to the match director who inspected the rifle(he already knew it was good ) and said it made all specs for f t/r . have you ever heard such bull crap before i also informed him that per fclass rules you can not take the legs and tuck them under the slits in his mat to preload his bipod ...boy did that set him off.

just venting alittle

larry

Which match did someone tell you this?? I have shot around several illegal guns and I have seen what you run and its not! Mine is closer to weight than you are. I have seen more illegal equipment in use than illegal guns. If you can make it on the line in Blakely your good to go. I see more problems with tucked bipods, shooting mat stops and such than anything. which I have heard numerous interpretations of those rules depending on which match your at. Dont even open the can off worms on boards under rests if you dont wanna see a controversy. Matt

Basic Member
    i need to get my arse back down to blakely soon i just put and order in for 1000 155gr. smk's palma heads should be close to what the amax's were.i'm shooting our club match this weekend should be interesting me,my son and now my wife gonna give it a whirl gonna end up with team linneman. also going to have my adopted god-son shoot my 308 he just got out of the marines i love getting more people into f class shooting.

Team Savage
    "Good Shooters" shoot subconsciously..... blow it off!
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

Basic Member
    already done getting ready for the next match saturday i been coaching my wife getting her ready for her first match for this season i'm keeping her at our clubs 300 yds matches . she still has some polishing to do just the basics then i'll move her out to the 600 yard matches its kinda cool having the whole family shooting matches now with the way i work(10hr days 6 days a week) i dont get much time with her so this is a plus.

andy221

i also informed him that per fclass rules you can not take the legs and tuck them under the slits in his mat to preload his bipod ...boy did that set him off.

just venting alittle

larry

Hi everyone, I just started shooting f-class recently and I shoot off a Harris bipod. I saw the above statement, I have seen other people do this (me included) and didn't think there was an issue. So now I question weather or not this is allowed. Wanting to do things right I looked through the rule book. I did not see mention of it saying this can or can't be done. So my question is, what section/part says that you can not tuck your bipod. Or what are people interpreting to leade them to believe this? I'm not trying to open a can of worms or start an argument so I hope this doesn't cause this. I just want to know so I can see it for myself. Thanks, Andy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy221 View Post
    Hi everyone, I just started shooting f-class recently and I shoot off a Harris bipod. I saw the above statement, I have seen other people do this (me included) and didn't think there was an issue. So now I question weather or not this is allowed. Wanting to do things right I looked through the rule book. I did not see mention of it saying this can or can't be done. So my question is, what section/part says that you can not tuck your bipod. Or what are people interpreting to leade them to believe this? I'm not trying to open a can of worms or start an argument so I hope this doesn't cause this. I just want to know so I can see it for myself. Thanks, Andy
    If nothing else when you have the rifle in position if the match director walked over and lifted it straight up the mat would rise a little with it which would make the weight of the mat included in the overall weight of the rifle which in most cases would put you way over the weight limit. Refer to rule 3.4 paragraph (1).
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    ...i asked him what is illegal on it he pointed out that i have a mirage shield and the bipod is wrong he also corrected me in telling me that a harris bipod is the only acceptable bipod to use.
    he then went on to tell me that my 155gr. bullets are to light and should be in the 175-210 range to shoot in this class...
    Translation: I lost to you so I am nitpicking your gear until I find something that can officially negate the win.

JCalhoun
    I understand that as a new competitor you feel the need to be up on all the rules, some of which can be fuzzy. However, if the match director doesn't gig you for it there is nothing that can be done afterwards. If you have any questions, ask the match director before the match starts so everyone can be on the same page.

Have you ever wondered why the NRA rulebooks are so technical and legal sounding? Aholes like these are the reason.