Thread: Odd Savage Target Action and Accu Trigger Question

MuleyTime

Odd Savage Target Action and Accu Trigger Question

Hoping someone can tell me what it was that I noticed today.

I have a new Model 12 LRP which up until today the Accu Trigger was nicely set at 1 lb and never locked up even with getting very aggressive with closing the bolt. It was really very nice.

When I was finishing up shooting this morning, I noticed a little clearish/white rubber pad fall out from underneath the bolt handle. I picked it up and studied it and found that it had come from a slot with a "peg hole" underneath the bolt (right where the handle starts). I was thinking that it was to buffer the metal to metal contact on the bolt area and the action.

I was able to put it back in its place, but it wouldn't stay. The peg leg wouldn't keep it in place any more. So, I put it somewhere and now I can't find it…..still shouldn't be that big of deal. I didn't think any more of it until I got home. After cleaning, I closed the bolt and sure enough the trigger locked. In fact it would lock every time if I wasn't VERY gentle closing the bolt. I checked the trigger and it was at 8 Oz….what the……..!!!!

So I took it apart and adjusted the trigger to 1.5 lbs. It's back in business, but you can lock up the trigger if you get really aggressive closing the bolt. That NEVER happened with that rubber pad.

Anyway, I hope someone can tell me what that pad is for. It surely can't be Savage's answer to their locking trigger issues……it's such a cheesy odd part.

I've heard and read about the trigger locking up issue, but nobody has mentioned the rubber pad missing. That makes me wonder if other's problems are pointing to that rubber pad. It could easily fall out without the shooter noticing…..I just happened to get lucky when I saw it fall out. It also can't be designed to be permanent as it would have just been a matter of time for it to fall out.

Basic Member
    Hi,

I have seen this little pad. A friend's recently acquired a Savage Target action in RB/RP has the pad. However, my same action (except it is RB/LP) does NOT have the pad, nor is there any hole for the peg on the pad. ??? I posted another post here about this pad, what it is for, but no replies. I was thinking of just adding a thin pad of nylon on mine, but after what you say, I am not going to if it affects the function of the rifle. Sure would like to hear more about what this pad is all about.

Phil

The bumper fell out of my first bolt too,don't know how long this one will last. They don't even seem to be glued,don't know what is supposed to keep them in there. It's just a cushion against the metal contact.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?