Thread: No 7-08's

No 7-08's

I've been looking for a 7-08 that isn't an axis model to use to build a silhouette rifle. I know the 7-08 is a popular white tail caliber and I live in white tail country.

Where are the rifles? I can find Savages in most other cartridges.

Basic Member
    Have you asked your LGS to order one?
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

just look on gunbroker. there are plenty on there.

FYI, just in case of anymore responses to your original post, one must have a paid membership and use the classified section to buy or sell on this forum.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    I see them on Bud's all the time, right now they have the model 11 in 7-08 with scope for $430 and get a barrel from Gunshack or NSS.

Bruce

I was asking about new ones. I wasn't trolling for a used one. Not trying to skirt the rules.
    Last edited by Szumi; 12-23-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    Have you asked your LGS to order one?
    I've looked at gungenie along with buds and came up empty. Not interested in Axis offerings.

I wonder if Savage runs a production cycle and 7-08's are not up for their turn.

7. 12-23-2013, 09:47 AM
    Reason
    Cleaning up the mess

8. 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM
    Reason
    Cleaning up the mess

Basic Member
    Hmm. Now that you mention it other than Axis in 7mm-08, which seem to be most of what I find those in, I really don't see any other rifles in 7mm-08. To be honest, I can't say I've ever seen any others in 7mm-08 in my area.

You could always pick up another caliber with a 308 bolt face and switch the barrels, if you can't find what you want in stock anywhere.

I dont know where you live but try Dicks sporting goods.Google it.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Cycler
    The current Savage web site lists the model 16FCSS, model 14 American Classic and model 11FCNS all as available in 7mm-08.

RiverSink
    I was on the Savage site the other day looking for what model's were available in 7-08 and there were none. Now I did not look at the axis mod's, you may can get one of those. I would just buy what ever model you like then buy a barrel. Alot of the 7-08's had like a 1-11 or 1-12 twist anyway and would not stabilize the bullet's I would be shooting anyway. Good luck

bionicbob
    Szum. I have a new take off 7mm 08 barrel off a stevens 200. I will never use it. If you find a rifle in another caliber and want to change i will give you this barrel if you pay the shipping cost. I hope this offer does not violate the rules..

And there ya go.........

look for a Stevens 200.

Basic Member
    If you really want a 7-08 and plan on shooting the heavier bullets then i would suggest getting a 308 or something with that bolt head and replace the barrel as factory twist is geared more toward light for caliber bullets for some reason.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    If you really want a 7-08 and plan on shooting the heavier bullets then i would suggest getting a 308 or something with that bolt head and replace the barrel as factory twist is geared more toward light for caliber bullets for some reason.
    Didn`t savage go back to the tighter 9.5 twist?

Basic Member
    It looks like it. According to their website all the 7mm-08s are 9.5 twist.

Cycler
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverSink View Post
    I was on the Savage site the other day looking for what model's were available in 7-08 and there were none.
    You didn't look very hard. See my post just above yours as I found at least three 10/110-based rifles in 7-08 on the current web site's listing. And Savage went back to the 9.5" twist a few years ago.

RiverSink
    I missed your post I guess but I did look and did not see any for some reason. I just went and looked again and there they are, FANTASTIC. Thank's for bringing it to my attention.