I just took possession of a Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. The grain pattern of the stock is incredible, with intense figuring and tiger striping throughout the buttstock area. However it appears as though the stock was stained pretty dark, and the finish looks rather dull. There is treasure there beneath the funky Savage finish, and I want to bring it out..

So a refinish is in order. I usually use Piņata Colors Alcohol Ink as a stain if needed, On some stock refinishes I have also used Magic Maple Stain, a chromium trioxide acid treatment that is usually used, for high end tiger maple muzzleloading rifle stocks. This is followed by Linspeed as my final finish. Linspeed really brings out the warmth of the wood color and accentuates the grain and figuring of the wood in remarkable ways.

I am wondering if anyone knows what Savage uses to finish their wood stocks and whether they are indeed stained or not. I just want to have a clearer idea of what I am getting into if I decide to go ahead with refinishing the wood.

Happy Holidays to All,

Kevin