Thread: I Need some understandings of Savage Rifles

triharley

I Need some understandings of Savage Rifles

I am wanting to build a 260 Remington based on a savage Action. I have a list of Questions. Please Take it easy on a Rookie.

First, any good books on assembling and accurizing the Savage action.

Second, Please explain large and small shank to me.

Third, I don't hunt, just punch paper so I don't need a repeater action but looking at cost what are the benefits of the target action vs. the others.

Thanks and Look forward to reading and following this informative site.

Nick

fatdaddy

Re: I Need some understandings of Savage Rifles

Welcome, I dont know of a book but I'd bet there is... A membership for 12 bucks and you will be able to read the tech articles and member classifieds. I read them everyday. Large shanks come on the LRPV'S and target actions. I have 5 savages, no large shanks.... the barrel of a large shank will have a step right at the barrel nut. I dont know that the target actions would be inherently more accurate than say a model 12 action. You can always add a single shot follower and turn any action to a single shot. I have always lusted after a right bolt-left port, target action myself thou... If you need help just ask or surf the search feature, folks here glad to help... Bill

The large and small shanks are referring to the diameter of the barrel, at the threads, that screws into the receiver. The "small shank" is 1.055" and the "large shank" is 1.120". Most barrels and receivers you encounter will be small shank. The target actions, most wsm's, saum's, and rum's will be large shank.

If you're going to build it from scratch, including an aftermarket trigger, I'm not sure there's much benefit in the target action, unless you like the different port options? I have a 12F rt bolt, rt port that I'm still using the factory trigger in. If you're wanting to use the factory trigger, the target action trigger is better than the standard accutrigger.

If you're wanting an "off the shelf" aftermarket stock, there are more options avail for the standard short action stagger feed receivers than for the target actions. If you're going custom, one-off on the stock, then it doesn't matter either way.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

JCalhoun

Nick;

I recommend buying a Stevens 200 in .25-06 and dump everything but the action and barrel nut. The .25-06 barrel will be fairly easy to sell. The Stevens is basically a Savage without an Accutriger. The long action will allow you to go to a long cartridge if you ever decide to rebarrel it. You can get a Stevens new out the door for under $300. The performance difference between a long action Stevens receiver and Savage target receiver will be negligble at best.

Contact Sharp Shooter Supply for their recoil lug, trigger, stock, trigger guard, bolt handle and Farrell multi-slotted scope base. You can then add a Score High single shot follower from several sources such as Midway or Brownells. You can get a barrel from Sharp Shooter Supply, Sinman, Northland, Shilen, etc.

lwink

Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun
    Nick;

I recommend buying a Stevens 200 in .25-06 and dump everything but the action and barrel nut. The .25-06 barrel will be fairly easy to sell. The Stevens is basically a Savage without an Accutriger. The long action will allow you to go to a long cartridge if you ever decide to rebarrel it. You can get a Stevens new out the door for under $300. The performance difference between a long action Stevens receiver and Savage target receiver will be negligble at best.

Contact Sharp Shooter Supply for their recoil lug, trigger, stock, trigger guard, bolt handle and Farrell multi-slotted scope base. You can then add a Score High single shot follower from several sources such as Midway or Brownells. You can get a barrel from Sharp Shooter Supply, Sinman, Northland, Shilen, etc.
    This is some good info, I would recommend Sharp Shooters single shot follower to convert a repeater to single shot if that&#39;s the way you are going, they are very nice -- perfect fit in a centerfeed action and perfect cycling of every bullet I&#39;ve run through them.