Thread: Model 10 Firing Pin Problem

Bamaal

Model 10 Firing Pin Problem

I have a model 10 FCP McMillan and over the last two trips to the range a problem has developed. The last trip 2 out of 60 rounds were misfires. Today 9 out of 60 were. It appears I am getting light strikes. 3 of the 9 today were no strike. There are just under 1000 rounds on the rifle and it has been very well maintained.

So on the way home I stopped by my gunsmith and he took a look at it. The pin has backed out significantly. He fixed it on the spot but asked to keep it so he could try to figure out why it did it it and try to keep it from happening anymore. Have any of you experienced this and do you know why it would be backing out? I do not shoot hot loads ever. There was no buildup inside the bolt at all. It was oiled well with no crud to speak of at all.

Thanks in advance.

Unless I've lost my mind, the only way for the firing pin to "back out", is if the nut that holds the bolt assembly together is backing out. If that is the case, you should have noticed that a long time ago.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    the only way for the firing pin to "back out", is if the nut that holds the bolt assembly together is backing out.
    ..and then only if the lock washer is missing or somehow its allowed to turn on the firing pin.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

thomae
    Your firing pin backed out how much? What was the actual protrusion measurement?
    Even though your gunsmith said that was the issue, I'd at least check one other thing:
    Did you check your dies? Perhaps you resized the cases too small/short. Unless I am mistaken, that might cause the same type of symptoms.

stangfish
    Do you reload? Have you ever worked on the bolt? Which "pin" are we talking about?

I don't know of any pin that can easily "back out". If the BAS backs out then it is a simple fix. Tighten it securely. The bolt head cross pin cant move due to the firing pin holding it in. The possibility of the firing pin spring releasing tension is not probable unless parts were missing from the factory, and remains unlikely that it would back off.

dondick
    I am also having a problem with light primer strikes . I have a little over 1800 rounds through it . I thought it was my dies but the wilson gauge ses they are good . My remy shoots em , but the savage don't . As soon as this xmas madness is through Im gonna figure it out .

I had a problem with my .308 FCP-K that I fixed by readjusting the pin protrusion to 0.055", I think. Mine came from the factory set a little shallow, I believe it was 0.039", which resulted in a misfire maybe 1 round out of 20 of box ammo. From what I remember, that was only 1 or 2 flats on the lock washer. No problems since.

Joe
    Savage 10 FCP-K with Bushnell 3.5-21x50 scope, lots of SIG Pistols.

dondick
    I have adjusted mine from 50 to 62 and still same results.

Bamaal
    Sorry guys. I've been swamped at work and just got a chance to look at your replies.

I do reload. It's not a problem with the dies. 1000 + rounds with these settings and no issues until the last 120 rounds. Primers are seated properly. I do not know what the firing pin protrusion measurement was. What was very strange were the couple of no strike misfires on my last trip to the range this week that were followed by a couple of light strikes. I've never had a single misfire until the last two trips to the range. The pin I'm talking about is the actual firing pin. I have never taken apart the bolt or adjusted anything on it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaal View Post
    I have never taken apart the bolt or adjusted anything on it.
    Well, its probably time to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. The accumulation of oil mixed assorted gook tends to pad the pin fall or stop it altogether especially when the temperatures drop later in the year.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.