Thread: Is this a good scope for 700+ yards?

sephlaire

Is this a good scope for 700+ yards?

Osprey Long Range Tactical Scope. 10 - 40x50 mm.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=453841

I am a little skeptical because of the low price ($150.00), but all the reviews seem to praise this scope so I wanted to get a second opinion from a more reliable source (YOU).

This would be mounted to my Savage 10 FLCP-K .308 Win

pa hog

Re: Is this a good scope for 700+ yards?

I'd pass, you get what you pay for in optics!! Try looking into a modest priced fixed power like a Bushnell 10X Elite 3200. I've seen guys tag groundhogs at 800yds plus with them. Or there are scopes in the $250.00-350.00 range that are reliable and work well, Like the Elite 3200 5-15, The Vortex Crossfire 6-24, Nikon Buckmaster and some of the Millets. Big, long cheap tacticool 150.00 scopes with target knobs and 15" of sunshade may look cool but are best left alone they can frustrate you more than their worth. Save your money get the best you can to start.

sephlaire

OK so i will admit, it did interest me because of how cool I think it looks... and I like the 1/8" M.O.A. adjustments.

Thanks for the advice though I'll keep looking for something better.

Take a look at the SS10x42,16x42 or the 20x42. Made for and sold by SWFA only made to military specs, and sell for $300.I own 3 of them and will undoubtedly have more. These are scopes that should or could sell for more but because there are no middlemen the price is kept down. Best bang for your buck on fixed power. If you want a variable look at the Vortex line I don't have one but they get great reviews.
    Try www.opticstalk.com and search or ask away like here many knowledgeable guys who spend time with optics.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Never owned one but after reading this I would not get one. Why not just go with a Mueller and be done with it?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=367942

lwink

I kind of like the idea of 1/8" adjustments too, but how beneficial is this as the rifle you will be putting it on will most likely be a 1/4 - 1/2 moa gun if you handload and do your part, maybe not quite that good in many instances (with factory ammo, etc). After thinking things through I didn't see the need to move my bullet impact 1/2" at 400 yards when my gun will only hold 1" of accuracy best case scenario, with a factory gun more like 3-4" or so. Hopefully that makes sense to you, just opens up a lot more scopes if you're not sold on 1/8 adjustment. That being said I give the nod to Vortex Crossfire or any of the Bushnell Elites.

Basic Member

Another good scope that I have is the Millet BuckGold scopes. I have two and love them. My question to is: what do you plan on doing with the scope. Alot of the scopes out there that are 'tacticool' aren't worth anything. For scopes you need to spend money on them; most folks I talk to expect you to spend as much if not more on a scope as you did on the rifle. My target rifle 308 cost about $1400 to build and I don't have that kind of money to drop on a scope. Some good scopes to look at would be Millet, Mueller, Bushnell, and Vortex. Next scope I'll buy will be a Vortex scope.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

sephlaire

Well my savage 10 FLCP arrived today. :) I did find a scope that will work for me for the time being.....Sorry I didn't have time to take a picture today.

The shop owner recommended a Simmons Model 447703:

6–24x 44mm
    Sunshade
    Side Parallax Adjustment
    3.75" Eye Relief
    Matte Finish
    16ft. F.O.V. @ 100 yds with lowest magnification
    Mil-dot reticle

For only $169.95 I don't think it's a bad deal. The whole kit, which includes rifle, scope, leupold base and rings, came in at just over $1,000.

sephlaire

The only thing that bothers me right now is the elevation adjustment. I have not been to a range yet, but at a rough 25 yards in my backyard, I bore sighted the scope in.

At this 'rough' zero, my elevation knob is takes 7 1/2 rotations (463 1/8" clicks) Clockwise to stop turning, but only 2 1/3 rotations (127 1/8" clicks) Counter-Clockwise to stop turning.

Is there a way to get these closer to each other. I feel like if its this far off at 25 yards then I'm going to have problems when I take this beyond 200.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sephlaire
    The only thing that bothers me right now is the elevation adjustment. I have not been to a range yet, but at a rough 25 yards in my backyard, I bore sighted the scope in.

At this 'rough' zero, my elevation knob is takes 7 1/2 rotations (463 1/8" clicks) Clockwise to stop turning, but only 2 1/3 rotations (127 1/8" clicks) Counter-Clockwise to stop turning.

Is there a way to get these closer to each other. I feel like if its this far off at 25 yards then I'm going to have problems when I take this beyond 200.
    It the 7 1/2 rotations the way you move to put the point of impact up? That is do you have more up thatn down?

Reason I ask is that if you have that much elevation available I would leave it because you never know when you might want to try some longer shots. Also, you rarely dial down from your zero, especially if shooting at any real distances. I know I would prefer to have more "up" available that "down" adjustments.

If it is the "down" the has all that adjustment available then look at getting a 20 MOA base.

Dolomite

sephlaire

Yea it's the down with all the extra adjustment. :-(

Basic Member

If you could let us know what kind of rings and bases you have that might help out with a possible solution. I suspect it is more the rings and bases than the scope and there are a couple of troubleshooting tricks that might help without having to buy a 20 MOA base.

Dolomite

sephlaire

Leupold Standard High Ring Set (49903)
    Leupold Savage 110 LH-SA Base (55731)