Thread: Lee turret press and deluxe die set ?'s

Basic Member

Lee turret press and deluxe die set ?'s

So I tried to reload my first .308 rounds. I ran into a few issues. Im using a lee 3- hole turret press and the lee deluxe rifle die set. I set up each die according to instructions. I lubed the cases properly with Lee case lube.

1. When I ran the casing up into the full length sizer it just stopped without going all the way up. It actually jammed up and I had to really smack the arm up to break it free. Is this normal or should the ram/ rod go all the way up and the arm all the way down? Why would it stop mid stroke? Not sure if this was ok or not so I moved to step 2.

2. Next I ran the case up into the collet neck sizer. No problem noticed here and the primers popped out during this step.

3. I then checked case length, which was good. Cleaned primer pocket, chamfered case neck. Then primed the cartridge. No drama here.

4. I then measured and poured 41.9 grains of IMR 4046 into each case. No drama.

5. I then placed the primed and powdered case back into the press and ran the ram/rod up into the dead length bullet seating die with a 175grain Sierra match king bullet. The projectile got stuck in the die. I had to unscrew the adjusting screw all the way in order to remove the bullet. I tried this three times before stopping and ask for advice.

WTF am I doing wrong?

Any advice, suggestions or even ridicule is welcome.

Basic Member
    1. Most probable cause is lack of lube, or die adjusted wrong. Primer should have been pushed out here

2. Collet neck sizing not required in addition to full length sizing. You would collet neck size instead of full length size, on brass previously shot in your rifle. No lube required for this setup

3. Cool

4. You mean IMR 4064?

5. Sometimes some bullets don't fit just right into the seating die. It happens, especially seems true with longer pointy ones. You might have to polish or modify the part of the seater die that actually contacts the bullet. Are there any marks on the bullet that show where it was getting stuck? Search Youtube, you will fine something to guide you on this.

Don't be embarrassed or shy about asking for help. Messing something up in this hobby can have bad consequences

Basic Member

Lee turret press and deluxe die set ?'s

Smokey,

Thanks for the response. While you were typing I went back and took a look at everything. I grabbed 5 new (once fired) casings and went back to work.

1. I added more lube and that helped with the full length sizer. Took a lot of pressure but got it. Primer popped out.
    2. Then moved to collet neck sizer. Got you on the collet neck sizer vs. full length sizer.....so on brass fired from my rifle use collet neck sizer only (no lube)? On new brass or brass fired from other rifles, use full length sizer (lube)? Not both?

3. Yes IMR 4064. I primed and charged the new (once fired cases).

4. I took a new federal 175 gr gold medal match round and ran it up into the dead length seating guide and adjusted the adjusting screw so that it matched that round for seating. I then inserted new bullets into casings and got them to seat properly. They all measure right at about 2.77 - 2.80. Any issues with the shorter ones that I need to be concerned with? I know min length is supposed to be 2.80.

Basic Member
    1. This is the best sizing lube. Takes a lot of the effort out of it and one can lasts a long long time

2. Correct, though after several firings and collet neck sizings you will probably have to do a full length resize. The symptom will be hard bolt closure due to the case becoming longer

3. OK

4. That is pretty much variation (0.030). Its still safe but I would check whats up with that. Normally you might see maybe 0.005 to 0.010ish depending on the bullet. The bullets themselves usually cause that variation. Is the difference caused by the very slight differences of the hollow point? And isn't max supposed to be 2.80, not min? For reference here what do a few of the factory rounds measure?

Basic Member
    1. Thanks for info on lube.

2. check

3. Ok

4. Five Federal GMM 175 gr that I checked were all 2.80. The chart I have shows max OAL of 2.810 and min OAL of 2.80 using 175 gr jacketed with IMR 4064.