Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspect your 17wsm ammo

Basic Member

Inspect your 17wsm ammo

This could have been bad for someone not paying attention ! Like our kids .... There was little to no powder in this round.
    I have contacted Winchester.

Basic Member

n4ue
    Wow, I'll bet the QC inspector was "texting". ha ha
    Not really funny, since texting and driving is a national epidemic......

ron

Basic Member
    gsperaz, I see you wrote on the box flap, Cab 12-23-13 and the lot # looks to be 3GM63. Did you just get this from Cabelas ? I received one of two boxes today that I ordered from Cabelas and my lot# is 3GN50. Appear to be ok. I'll post when the other gets here. That's not good. These people (Winchester and Savage) need to get their stuff together or their little project is going down the drain.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonboy View Post
    gsperaz, I see you wrote on the box flap, Cab 12-23-13 and the lot # looks to be 3GM63. Did you just get this from Cabelas ? I received one of two boxes today that I ordered from Cabelas and my lot# is 3GN50. Appear to be ok. I'll post when the other gets here. That's not good. These people (Winchester and Savage) need to get their stuff together or their little project is going down the drain.
    Yes, from Cabelas. I have learned to inspect and weigh all the 17WSM ammo I receive.

Basic Member
    Hey gsperaz, hope all's well. Got my other box of 25gr on the 24th, same lot # as above, all seem to be ok. However I was on another rimfire forum today and saw pics of a 17 WSM 25gr round with no neck brass. The lower brass was there and the bullet was there but looked like the neck brass was shoved down into the case. Not to computer adept so I don't know how to bring the pics over here, but seen you'd been there and thought you might like to know. Good New Year to all.

Downunderimfire
    Actually, it appears to be a .17HMR round that looks to have gone through the .17 WSM process. here is the link http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...04#post4844304

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonboy View Post
    Hey gsperaz, hope all's well. Got my other box of 25gr on the 24th, same lot # as above, all seem to be ok. However I was on another rimfire forum today and saw pics of a 17 WSM 25gr round with no neck brass. The lower brass was there and the bullet was there but looked like the neck brass was shoved down into the case. Not to computer adept so I don't know how to bring the pics over here, but seen you'd been there and thought you might like to know. Good New Year to all.
    Thanks Oregon, I saw that image ........Geez.
    Poor quality guns and ammo.....does not look like a promising future for the WSM.
    Happy New year to all !

Basic Member
    Wow, that's amazing. If I did my job like that, oh well, always check your bullets, it's a good habit. Thanks Downunder.

Birdieshooter
    I just lucked out and found 6 boxes of 25g at my local Gander Mountain for 17.99, which is the same as a couple of local mom n' pops who have a reputation of toeing the mark up line. So far I have obtained a total of 9 boxes of 25g and 2 boxes of 20g tipped. The closest thing I can find to "lot numbers" would be inside the left end flap. Has anyone been paying attention to these numbers in respect to either visible or percieved ammo problems? I am going to start watching for differant results from differant lots and I might order up a Gempro 250 tomorrow to weigh with.

So far I have no visible problems with any of it. The lot numbers are as follows:

Gander Mountain: 4 boxes 2GN40, 2 boxes 3GM72. These were all packaged with RFID security tags inside and tape on both ends, differantly than any others I have bought, would seem that GM has enough buying power to specify packaging.

Local mom n' pops: 2 boxes 2GH12 and 1 box 1GH62, all 17.99

Dick's Sporting Goods: (20g Polymer Tip) 2 boxes 2GK52, suprisingly the cheapest at 14.99, I can't imagine thats because of the 20g being lighter?

If I get a chance to weigh them I will post results and if anything shoots bad I will bring that info back here also.

Crockett
    Everything I just got from Gander Mtn is 1GN40 and appear to be no defects.

Basic Member
    Hey Crockett, I got 5 from gander same lot # as yours. 1 defect, same as the one pictured in this post.

Crockett
    Quote Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
    Hey Crockett, I got 5 from gander same lot # as yours. 1 defect, same as the one pictured in this post.
    I got 10 and will check mine closer again!

Crockett
    After closer inspection I have one out of 500rnds that has the same defect just not quite as severe as some.

Basic Member
    I have spoken with Winchester about some of the issues (FTF, split cases and manufacturing defects). Winchester was very interested in the problems. They quickly sent pick-up tags for the spent and remaining unfired rounds.
    They also said they would send me some replacement ammunition and apologized for the inconvenience.
    I think if they get a steady stream of complaints, we will see improvements with the 17WSM. Again, if they are not made aware of the issues the cannot get resolved.

danjurista
    I have 11 boxes of 20 grain lot# 1gh92 3 boxes 2gg42 5 boxes 3gm22 3 boxes no defects found. I have 12 boxes of 25 grain 2gn30 4 boxes 1gh22 5 boxes 1 defect lead is pushed back flush with the jacket 1gh32 3 boxes found 1 defect in 23 boxes and it was in the 25 grain lot# 1gh22

danjurista
    Got a call from Winchester today, they want the defective round that I found . They are having ups pick it up on Tuesday. She said something about sending me some ammo for the defect? will see if I hear anything back from them once they get the bad round?

Basic Member
    I have sent back 2 boxes of ammo with split cases, FTF, and bad factory loads. Still waiting on any replacement ammo to arrive.

Just bought 3 boxes from local wally world today. All 3 were red tip 20 gr rounds. Open 1 box and found a bullet without the red plastic tip. Next to it was what I guess is a 17HMR hollow point round. What a surprise. Sent Winchester an e-mail to let them know about their error. All 3 boxes were lot # 1GM02.

Basic Member
    They may ask you to return them to Winchester, they will replace them. Just takes a few weeks. Your lucky to find any ammo we are high and dry for WSM ammo. Our local walmarts have never carried the WSM ammo. Im running low, hope they show up soon.

I live in northwest TN and have had pretty decent luck at the walmarts. $14.77 + tax for 20gr or the 25 gr. Not too bad vs. some of the on-line sites. I just haven't had the opportunity to attempt any accurate shooting- to **** cold. I will be looking at the Boyd's stocks.

danjurista
    I got a check from Winchester this week for 16.00, I only sent them 1 bad round. Has anyone else that sent in ammo got a refund?

Basic Member
    They gave me the option for a refund or replacement, I chose replacement ammo (2 Boxes ).

n4ue
    I'll bet that they (Win) has rethought their early statement of offering .22 WSM and .25 WSM ctgs!!

ron

I got a call from Winchester yesterday. Woman said she was sending UPS with a label today to pick up my faulty round along with the .17 hmr round that was in my box of ammo. Winchester told me that they would reimburse me for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast