Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Weight Hunter weights

brasse

Light Weight Hunter weights

Can someone with the Savage light weight hunter pull out the bolt assembly and digitally measure it's weight?

I read somewhere the twisted fluting cuts 3 ounces. A stock Savage bolt assembly weighs 12.75 ounces. I have the fishnet fluted bolt body that cuts 0.75 ounces. So 3 ounces seems a lot.

Hope beyond hope if someone with a Savage light weight hunter could weigh the stock? I am guessing it weighs about 24 ounces, maybe 26 with trigger guard and DBM surround plastic.

If you could check on Savage parts finder and post the stock part number and price.

I am thinking the following will produce a lighter Savage rifle for hunting

1) Savage light weight hunter stock, or Boyds laminated heavily routed out
    2) DBM and trigger guard in Savage plastic
    3) shorter barrel 20 inch with thin profile
    4) Talley LW Savage rings
    5) Leupold 2-7x28 VX-2 Ultralight weighs 8.1 ounces, half a pound less than most scopes or the Leupold 3-9x33 VX-2 Ultralight at 11 ounces.
    6) Modified bolt handle with aluminum knob, perhaps 0.5 to 0.75 ounces less
    7) fluted bolt 0.75 ounces or more.
    8) precision ground recoil pad that is thinner not thicker than stock.

Goal would be a Savage or axis rifle at about 6 pounds and less than 7 with scope.

Mine will be in 6.8 SPC II. Have a 24 inch Douglas sporter barrel that shoots 0.5 MOA now. Savage stainless trigger guard and DBM, heavy tactical bolt handle, 17.6 ounce Nikon 4.5-14x40 scope with heavy rings and pic rail. Have the plastic parts and the stock bolt, and Savage MC stock from a model 14. Lightest scope I have is a Nikon P223 that weighs 15 ounces.

Note Nikon dropped their advertisement on the P223 having 98% light transmission BECAUSE it was better than the 95% of their older Monarch M223. I verified it from Nikon and shortly after they stopped the ads.

brasse
    Just found photos of a stock bolt, weighs 4.25 oz so no way savage could have cut 3 ounces. My SSS fluted bolt weighs 3.55 ounces.
    Stock bolt assembly 12.75 ounces, with receiver 29.20 ounces for short action 4.4 inch

brasse
    Spent some time on SWFA website as they list all the weights for the scopes. I figure most people want something close to 3-9 power, the small the objective the lighter the weight.
    8.5 ounces Leupold 2-7x28
    9.3 ounces Leupold Ultra light VX2 3-9x33 $349
    9.75 ounces Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32 $170
    9.75 ounces Weaver Classic V 2.5-9x32 $170
    11.0 ounces Weaver Classic V 2-10x38 $190

All of these scopes will get the job done, the Leupold Ultra light VX2 stands out as quality and very light weight. With Talley LH scope rings it would weigh half of what my Nikon P223 scope, rings and EGR pic rail weighs, cutting 12 ounces.

I have decided to take my 24 inch Douglas barrel off and get it cut to 20 inches. Going to work on my spare Savage 14 walnut stock and see how much I can cut the weight, and get a lighter bolt handle threaded for aluminum knob.
    Weighed the rifle with my Nikon Buckmaster scope and stainless DBM and trigger guard, 8.8 pounds. I have the plastic DBM stuff so that cuts 10 ounces. Figure 4 ounces for the barrel cut, almost 5 ounces for going to the Talley LH mounts. Maybe 4 ounces for the stock cuts. The Leupold would cut 8 ounces more, bringing cuts to 31 ounces. That would bring my Savage 6.8 SPCII with scope to 6.8 pounds.

Got to go, ordering the Talley rings now.
    Just weighed everything, the plastic Savage trigger guard, DBM surround, magazine and one bolt screw weighs 3.95 ounces. The same in stainless weighs 11.25 ounces so not the 10 ounces people have claimed. Still 7.3 ounces savings.

My Savage Monte Carlo walnut stock weighs 36.55 ounces, the regular walnut stock 33.4 ounces. Lots of wood in the fore-arm and butt area to drill out.

Checking my Nikon Buckmaster weighs 17.6 ounces, the pic rail 1.60 ounces and the Burris signature rings 4.1 ounces. Total 23.6 ounces. A lighter scope and tally rings could cut almost 12 ounces
    Last edited by brasse; 12-24-2013 at 01:00 AM.

brasse
    Just ordered the Weaver Classic 2-10x38 as it was on sale at Natchez, and the Talley LW scope bases/rings. That cuts 9 ounces from what I have been using.

Ordered an aluminum bolt handle knob, it might cut half an ounce but I get to play with my stainless Savage bolt handles. Lots of Dremel work and some use of my dies.

Now if I could only get the Savage light weight hunter stock.

Going to take the barrel off this week and take it to a gunsmith to cut 4 inches.

You're on the right track, but there really aren't many places you can save weight on a Savage. They just weren't ever designed to be a super lightweight runway model-type rifle. lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

brasse
    The goal would be just a little heavier than the light weight hunter model, using my 6.8 SPC II barrel. I figure my Douglas 24 inch sporter profile barrel weighs about 2.25 pounds with recoil lug and SSS barrel nut. Hopefully 2 pounds after cutting to 20 inches. The 6.8 SPC II usually works great in 16 inches, 20 inches is a long barrel for 6.8.

I have decided to cut on the Savage Monte Carlo stock just because the stock works better with a scope than the standard 14 stock. Already know I want to cut 1/2 inch in stock pull length, and will use a kick ease pad, which will add a couple of ounces. Figure to cut a couple of inches off the fore arm and holes in the butt.

Also found a web article on the light weight hunter that has MUCH better information than anywhere else.: http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/16/gu...hunter-rifles/

The savings in weight in the Model 11 is 1.6 ounces for the receiver cuts, not worth enough to bother.
    "The flutes remove 0.8 ounces of steel from the Model 11 Lightweight Hunter, same for the fluted SSS "fishnet flutes". Worth the $99 for the looks alone!
    Measuring 1.75-inches tall, 1.25-inches wide and 0.195-inches thick, the recoil lug, which is secured between the newer, smooth barrel locking nut and receiver, has a small tab that corresponds to a like-sized notch at the receiver’s front. Sounds like the accustock recoil pad?

Absent the plastic furniture and Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, the latter an excellent choice on such a lightweight rifle, the stock weighs a mere 1 pound, 6.8 ounces. Interestingly, the recoil pad with integral black spacer and two screws weighs 3.6 ounces.

With the stock at 30 ounces, barrel at 32 ounces, the rifle with scope would come in at about 109 ounces, about 6.7 pounds. Thankfully the 6.8 doesn't kick much, and the Kick-Ezze cuts recoil better than anything else.

Pity the guy that has a 300 Win Mag rifle at 6.7 pounds.
    Last edited by brasse; 12-24-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Team Savage
    The 3 oz reduction in the Savage LWH action is a combination of removing metal from the action and spriral fluting the bolt. In my other post I did not mean to imply spriral fluting the bolt droped the weight by 3 oz. The plastic DBM assembly with metal magazine box and follower weights right at 9 oz verses 12 oz for the metal version. The LWH FW 20" barrel is right at 2.0 lbs.

brasse
    Not sure how you got your numbers, each group was weighed three times, photo taken of each. Plastic DBM surround, trigger guard, magazine which has a plastic bottom and metal guts, and one screw. Same group in stainless was 11.25 ounces

brasse
    Checked the weight of the Savage stock from my model 16 Creedmoor. Weighed 27.25 ounces. The tuberware stock is something t play with, if I screw it up just throw it away. So far I have cut 0.5 inches from the pad area as I like my stocks slightly shorter. Drilled some holes in the forearm like the light weight hunter. Not finished yet but has the same strength as before. Got to measure closely to see what Kick-Eez pad will fit.

If I can keep the total stock weight the same using the Kick-Eez pad
    Rifle components:
    Barrel& Nut & RL 32 ounces (after 4 inch cut to 20 inches)
    DBM + trigger guard 4 ounces
    Reciever & bolt 28.5 ounces ( maybe half an ounce lighter with aluminum knob on bolt handle
    Stock and pad 27 ounces
    Scope and receiver 13-14 ounces ( getting the low Tally LW and the Weaver Classic V 3-8x38 & 11 ounces)
    That comes to 105.5 ounces or 6.5 pounds with scope.

Looking at the Savage Monte Carlo walnut stock, I am getting ready to cut 0.5 inches from the butt pad area. That cut is easy with the correct saw.

Got to go slow drilling out the wood as I am not set up for wood working. It will mostly be hand work.
    It weighs 33 ounces (rechecked it) would like to get it to below 30 ounces. Maybe even 27 ounces with a Kick-Eez butt pad.
    Last edited by brasse; 12-24-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Savage6x284
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    You're on the right track, but there really aren't many places you can save weight on a Savage. They just weren't ever designed to be a super lightweight runway model-type rifle. lol
    One of my Savage rifles weighs in at 7# 3oz and it sports a long 116 action, an aluminum 700 TG, a 24" long #2 nutless Rock in 6mm, S&K scopemounts, a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX-3, a 5/8" Stockade BH, no fluting anywhere, and a McMillan Hunter's EDGE stock with two swivel studs.

Could easily get it under 7# with some Talley LW's and the sweet Leupold 3-9x33 Ultralight.

It can be done, even with a full length barrel (the only way I'll do it), but you need a quality lightweight stock like the Hunter's EDGE.

Of course even at 7# it'd still be 14.3oz heavier than my lightest full sized rifle.

brasse
    The beauty of the 6.8 SPC II is 99% of rifles using it are 16 inches, getting more popular are the18 inches, 20 inches are considered just trying to get extra velocity. Very efficient use of powder. Low recoil and becoming extremely popular. Primarily used in MSR (AR15) as most of the manufacturers that made bolt guns made them in SPC, not in the 6.8 SPC II form that most factory rounds are made.

That sounds like one sweet rifle, photos??

All my Savages use stainless receivers, I may include the stainless trigger guard that weighs 2 ounces. Probably half an ounce for the polymer guard.

Taking the big knob bolt handle off as it weighs 4.25 ounces while the standard knob only 2.45. Going to cut the knob off and install an aluminum one. Might cut another 0.5 to 1.0 ounces. Plus it is something I have wanted to do for a while.

Savage6x284
    Here it is.

And here it is in the company of some of my other lightweight rifles. The black and yellow Kimber on the bottom weighs in at a very sweet 6# 1.7oz. The one above the Savage is an early 700KS (wearing a ridiculously heavy Vortex in this picture) and the top rifle is a very early ULA.

Might could say I'm a fan of lightweight full sized rifles.

brasse
    Each one of those cost more than my first car. Probably more than my first 3 cars.

What calibers? That Kimber must kick a little.

Savage6x284
    The ULA is the only one I'd consider to be expensive. The other three cost between $700-$1500 each.

The ULA is chambered for the 6mm Rem.
    The KS is .270 Win.
    The Savage is 6-284.
    The Kimber is 6x47 (.222 Rem Mag necked)

The Kimber is a sweetheart to shoot. The nice MPI stock design, the superb action, and the mild cartridge combine for a wonderful experience.

brasse
    Just cut another half an ounce, someone posted the article "Talley Lightweight Alloy Scope Bases and Rings" and like me he weighed them, only 2.5 ounces. I was thinking 3 ounces. Of course watch the weaver scope come in heavier!

brasse
    Made my goal. Had 6 inches off the barrel, was 24 inches and 40.3 ounces. Now 33.4 ounces and 18 inches long.

Loosely assembled rifle, without butt pad (~3 ozs.) came to 5.88 pounds. Still need to get the lighter weight recoil pad and the aluminum bolt handle knob. Figure that will bring it down to 93 ozs. plus the 3 of the pad coming in at 96 ozs. or 6.0 pounds

With scope and rings 6.84 pounds, with magazine no rounds.

Last edited by brasse; 01-02-2014 at 06:52 PM.

brasse
    Sweet, every couple of minutes someone knocking at the front door with a delivery.

Got the Weaver Classic 2-10x38 and the Talley rings. Both came in slightly LESS than what I was expecting. Scope at 10.95 ounces and rings at 2.10 ounces. I was expecting 13.5 and total was 13.10.

Then Midway got here with the thinner PTG recoil lug. The standard precision 0.250 inch thick lugs comes in at 1.30 ounces, the thinner 0.20 thick comes in at 0.80 ounces.

Total weight of rifle with scope and no butt pad is now 6.680 pounds.

Sundodger
    Great thread, great build. I have been throwing around a similar project.

Here is my thread:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...highlight=nula

Here is my current plan:

Start with a 16FSS (short action blind mag stainless steel, prob a rem .260) that Savage states its 6.5lbs.

Aftermarket carbon fiber stock: about 11oz savings (McMillian edge fill 24ish oz vs a factory Tupperware stock 35ish oz). I hear there are some lighter aftermarket options, but I have not looked into them yet.

Helical flutes on the barrel or lighter weight 20-22" barrel: 5oz ish savings

Action: 1.8oz (assuming what was done on the LWH can be repeated on the SS action)

Helical flutes on the bolt with sketonized and trimmed down bolt handle: 1oz

Total weight savings: 18.8oz or 1.175lbs

Assuming savage’s gun weight for 16FSSS is correct that would leave me with a 5.325lb rifle. I would really like to get it at 5lbs before the lightweight talleys and leupold, but not sure if that's possible.

Any pro tips/recommendations/etc. from a guy that has already gone though all this?

brasse
    Man people are posting very inaccurate numbers.
    Aftermarket carbon fiber stock: 10oz (McMillian edge fill vs a factory Tupperware stock). EDGE technology (ultra light 21-23 oz) is only 3 ounces less than my Savage walnut stock (24.7 oz). Stock poly from Savage is 27 ounces. Either way very expensive way to cut 4 ounces. The edge weight does include the "1/2" Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad" which is 2 to 3 ounces. This comes in at 5 ounces less than my set up. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...-Carbon/Detail

Helical flutes on the barrel or lighter weight barrel: 5oz Starting with a light sporter profile you probably will not get more than 3 ounces off it. Douglas barrels lists a 22" featherweight profile you can get in 260 at 32 ounces. To be able to shoot 500 yards with a light weight barrel you need a good one!

Action: 3oz (assuming what was done on the LWH can be repeated on the SS action. Savage only lost 1.8 ounces Not worth the money unless someone will experiment on your receiver for less than $75

Helical flutes on the bolt with sketonized and trimmed down bolt handle: 1oz Very close, 0.7 from the PTG and another 0.5 on the handle

You are leaving out the thinner precision recoil lug 0.1875 thick about 0.7 ounces vs. the standard precision recoil lug of 1.3 ounces (0.25")
    Precision smooth barrel nut 1.0 ounces vs 1.3 ounces for the slotted nut.

Total weight savings: 19oz or 1.1875lbs

Assuming savage’s gun weight for 16FSSS is correct that would leave me with a 5.3125lb rifle.

My rifle started as a stainless Creedmoor, I just like the stainless look.

I see your rifle like this:
    Stock with pad (carbon fiber edge) 22 ounces $600
    22 inch barrel featherweight 32 ounces $400
    fluted bolt PTG or SSS 3.55 ounces $99

PTG Recoil lug 0.7 ounces $33
    PTG or SSS smooth bbl nut 1.0 $33
    Savage part for mag in blind stock 0.3 $2
    Action screws 0.5 ounces with rifle
    Action SS Savage 24.15 ounces with rifle (weight without bolt or bolt handle)
    Bolt handle w/alum knob 2.0 $6-$30
    Trigger guard polymer 0.8 oz with rifle

Total very good 87 ounces 5.44 pounds. As long as the receiver shell weight over 16 ounces we can not get the Savage to 5 pounds.
    You would have to go to a very short or carbon fiber wrapped 25 ounce barrel to get to 5 pounds.
    Last edited by brasse; 01-04-2014 at 09:00 AM.

brasse
    You can get a Boyds or Stocks laminated blind magazine stock for about $100-$150. Cut 2 inches off the tip, take wood off everywhere you can like I did. People have gotten their laminated stocks to 21-22 ounces. A good bedding and a good wood sealant and that stock will take a lot of wear and tear while hunting.

You can get a good 17 inch Savage Striker barrel

Check this article out: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek083.html

PacNor has a weight calculator, http://pac-nor.com/cgi-bin/pnb/bweight.cgi
    Your 260 would be just over 2 pounds when 22 inches long, 1.74 pounds when 17 inches

Savage6x284
    My advice is to save the money on the fluting of the barrel and the bolt since it saves so little weight.
    Put the money saved into the EDGE stock and a good full length barrel.
    My LONG action rifle with a top quality 24" tube and the wonderful steel S&K's weighs 7# 3.3 ounces. All with a 6mm bore.

I get the magazine latitude to seat whatever bullet as long as I want it and the ballistic advantage (and the more forward weight distribution) provided by a 24" tube and the strength and looks of the S&K's.

No plastic on my rifle (unless you consider an EDGE stock to be plastic, some do) and the only aluminum is my TG and my magazine follower.

Either way I'm just happy to see more people realizing the virtues of lightweight rifles and spending their time and money to build one.
    I hope it becomes a trend among Savage aficionados.
    It's easy to build a heavy rifles but building light ones takes some effort and, let's face it, some money.

I am impressed with your rifle though Brasse, you did a great job on it.

Savage6x284
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
    I hear there are some lighter aftermarket options, but I have not looked into them yet.
    The only stocks I know of significantly lighter than a Hunter's EDGE are some of the offerings from Lone Wolf (now Proof Research). If you think an EDGE is pricey then the cost of a Lone Wolf will stagger you. Especially since they require you to ship them the BA for fitting in their factory.
    18 ounces is incredibly light however.
    There may be some MPI stocks in the 18-20 ounce range too but my experience is that the quality of the McMillan EDGE is better than that of the MPI.

Sundodger
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, no doubt getting numbers off the internet can be risky, that's why its good to hear from you guys who have actually done it.

But on the stock, I actually measured the factory Tupperware stock off my blind mag 110 at 35oz and that should be the same one that's on the bind mag weather warrior. According to McMillan the style I am looking at in edge fill is 22-24, and since I need a longer LOP I am betting it will be on the top end of that. So unless I am missing something I should save 11oz there.

Yeah the machining would be expensive, but I will prob do most of it myself. Anything I don't feel comfortable I have a friend that's an amazing gunsmith and machinist that will take care of it for a six pack of beer.

brasse
    Sundodger,
    Are you starting with a short action or long action? You are looking at a 110 long action stock at 35 ounces, it does weigh more than the short action stock. Everything weighs more on the long action. Savage lists their LWH at 6 pounds when using a long action.

Still a great project, lots of photos when you get the stuff

Sundodger
    Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    Sundodger,
    Are you starting with a short action or long action? You are looking at a 110 long action stock at 35 ounces, it does weigh more than the short action stock. Everything weighs more on the long action. Savage lists their LWH at 6 pounds when using a long action.

Still a great project, lots of photos when you get the stuff
    I would like to build a short action, but the only blind mag factory plastic stock I have is for a 3006. Do you know the weight delta between the two stocks?

Thanks, and will do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast