Thread: new to reloading im in need of some 22-250 rem dies what am i looking for

dxjxrose

new to reloading im in need of some 22-250 rem dies what am i looking for

i was supposed to get a set for xmas but that fell through... money is very tight right now (new baby, wifes job cut her hrs to 2 days a week and my unemployment is being cut as of dec 29 and there are no jobs out here...) so if im gonna buy a set my self i wanna make sure i get what i need... now i see there are 2 and 3 die sets... what am i looking at and what do i need?... im thinking of doing some neck re-sizing on some .243 brass to make it work in the 22-250. please let me know guys
    Last edited by dxjxrose; 12-23-2013 at 02:17 AM.

thomae
    Look on the manufacturer's websites to see what exactly comes with their respective 2 and three die sets.

To everyone else. Just a reminder that the OP is looking for information. If he wants to post a WTB ad, he will do it in the classifieds.

Basic Member
    Since it seems you want adequate and affordable I'd recommend doing the RCBS standard full length sizer and seating dies. Run about $30 and for my 22-250 will load ammo that shoots in the .3's continually when I do my part. I will be upgrading to a Forster set when I get around to it but only for micrometer adjustment and so I can have the sizer reamed to my desired neck diameter.

dxjxrose
    Yes im looking for info here guys...I have a wtb thread for the other part sorry If I confused anyone lol
    Last edited by dxjxrose; 12-23-2013 at 10:47 AM.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by dxjxrose View Post
    i was supposed to get a set for xmas but that fell through... money is very tight right now (new baby, wifes job cut her hrs to 2 days a week and my unemployment is being cut as of dec 29 and there are no jobs out here...) so if im gonna buy a set my self i wanna make sure i get what i need... now i see there are 2 and 3 die sets... what am i looking at and what do i need?... im thinking of doing some neck re-sizing on some .243 brass to make it work in the 22-250. please let me know guys
    To start buy the best you can afford, I find that RCBS has the best dies for the money. IMO some of the lee stuff is good, but I would never buy their dies. Most dies set are 2 piece a sizing die, and a seater. Lees three die set comes with a crimp die, and it is worthless. There is no need to crimp the bullets in a bolt action rifle, and if anything it will affect accuracy, and prematurely wear out brass. Most die company's sell a Full length die in there set unless otherwise stated, they may sell a neck size only die. IMO stick to the Full length size die, and forget using a neck sizing die. Last off, you can not neck size 243 brass and make 22/250, the two brasses hare as different as night and day, the taper, shoulder angle length as well as other things are different. Yes with a lot of work you could reform 243 brass to 22/250 but it is not worth the effort, just buy the correct brass. If you have a bunch of 243 brass just sell it.

Basic Member
    Have to agree with the above for the most part. If you are going to resize to get your brass then i would say go with the lee fl die for the size down due to the better design for the decapping rod. I have bent a number of rcbs rods on military ammo and trying to neck up brass. It just happens. But necking down brass you should have little to no trouble with almost any brand of dies just be sure to use enough lube but not to much.
    As for the brass you would be better to look around and see if you can find some 250savage brass and neck it down as it is the parent of the 22-250. New brass will be hard to find for it but you may be able to find some once fired. If not i would do what Pat said and sell or trade the 243 brass for what you need.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

dxjxrose
    So the common consensus is ita not worth it to resize the .243...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dxjxrose View Post
    So the common consensus is ita not worth it to resize the .243...
    Just too much work for too little return. It can be done but not worth the trouble and time involved. You would have to size it down then ream the necks to remove the donut plus have to turn the necks to even the thickness of them and then watch for donuts to form and you are back to reaming to remove them.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

buy prvi 22-250 ammo and use the brass,
    u can get 20 for $13
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    New Lee RGB dies can be had for under $20 plus shipping assuming you already have a shell holder for .243. Check Midway or Midsouth.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    buy prvi 22-250 ammo and use the brass,
    u can get 20 for $13
    Now that's a real good idea. You get to shoot, practice AND you get some brass.

Give that man a fine hand rolled Havana.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

emtrescue6
    I gotta agree with everyone else here...while possible, it's just not practical for someone new to reloading for someone to take 243 to 22-250...several steps involved that will require additional equipment and time. You should be able to find some 22-250 brass out there or even better, as previously mentioned, buy ammo and violently remove powder and projectile in a controlled environment :)

Quote Originally Posted by emtrescue6 View Post
    I gotta agree with everyone else here...while possible, it's just not practical for someone new to reloading for someone to take 243 to 22-250...several steps involved that will require additional equipment and time. You should be able to find some 22-250 brass out there or even better, as previously mentioned, buy ammo and violently remove powder and projectile in a controlled environment :)
    +1
    set up some in stock notifications on sites like Midsouth, Midway, Brownells, Dillon, Cabela's, etc.... Eventually you'll get an email that it's in stock. Otherwise, troll the classifieds in all the shooting related forums. I see it quite often, but it never lasts very long.

n4ue
    I have about every mfg set of dies. I recently purchased Hornady "New Dimension" die sets and have been very happy with them.....

ron