Thread: Need help choosing scope rings for new Axis & Prostaff

AxisGuyFromTN

Question Need help choosing scope rings for new Axis & Prostaff

Howdy fellers, I just bought a new Axis .308 from Wallyworld ($296 after tax & background check) to build an inexpensive deer gun. I bought the model with the 2 piece weaver mounts but with no rings and scope since I wanted a higher end scope. I settled on a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC from Dicks ($147 shipped). I've got the rifle and the scope, now I need some decent rings. I was considering some Leapers Deluxe 1" weavers from the sportsmansguide.come since they are only $11 and have plenty of good reviews. If anyone out there has a similar setup and can chime in I would really appreciate it. I'm on a very tight budget and just need something that will last, works well and gives proper eye relief and height. Nothing fancy. My target price for the complete package is around $450, so I'm still pretty close. I am building this rifle to be an inexpensive, reliable, utilitarian tool that will give years of good service with little or nothing left wanting for a long range hunting rifle at the price point I've set.

The specs for my Prostaff are:

• Magnification

3-9x
    • Objective Diameter

40mm
    • Exit Pupil

4.4-13.3mm
    • Field of View

11.3-33.8 ft @ 100 yds
    • Tube Diameter - Other

1 in
    • Eye Relief

3.6in
    • Objective Outside Diameter

50mm
    • Eyepiece Outside Diameter

44mm
    • Overall Length

12.4 in
    • Adjustment Graduation - Other

1/4 in
    • Max Internal Adjustment

80 MOA
    • Parallax Setting - Other

100 yds
    • Waterproof/Fogproof

Yes
    • Light Transmission - Other

Up To 98

Thanks!

thomae
    My suggestion: one-piece EGW or Weaver rail (I forget if Weaver makes a one piece rail for the Axis - maybe they don't. Some smart forum member will chime in and let us know one way or the other) and Burris Signature Zee Rings. It's a bit above your budget, but if you install them correctly, you will never complain.

1. Read this: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...uld-I-use-quot

2. Then read this: http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

I am pretty shaw you will need (very) high rings if you intend to mount that scope on a Axis, it has a 44mm OD on the eyepiece. I have read in prevouis post on here of member trying to fit this scope to a Axis... was not successful.

Happy to be wrong though.

Might want to ask this member how he went...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...scope-EGW-Rail

ejk24
    Definitely go with a rail as mentioned by thomae . The positioning of the stock mount location leave a very limited adjustment for proper eye relief fitment . Shorter tube scopes wont fit the stock spacing either . I have used the EGW rails on both of my Axis rifles with medium weaver gran slam rings with Bushnell 3200 Elites with 40mm objectives with good bolt clearance and still maintained about 1/4 inch clearance between the objective and barrel .

AxisGuyFromTN
    Quote Originally Posted by ejk24 View Post
    Definitely go with a rail as mentioned by thomae . The positioning of the stock mount location leave a very limited adjustment for proper eye relief fitment . Shorter tube scopes wont fit the stock spacing either . I have used the EGW rails on both of my Axis rifles with medium weaver gran slam rings with Bushnell 3200 Elites with 40mm objectives with good bolt clearance and still maintained about 1/4 inch clearance between the objective and barrel .
    Awesome man. I was able to find a Weaver brand Axis specific rail for $10.59 and medium height Weaver cross-lock rings for $18.79 on https://www.opticsplanet.com

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-m...se-system.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-c...ock-rings.html

Wonder if this setup would give enough clearance...

thomae
    To make sure you
    a) get a good solid grip on your scope,
    and
    b) don't damage your scope

You should really true and lap your rings. With the Signature Zee rings, this is not necessary and you won't damage or mark your scope.

I like the low Burris XTR rings that I have holding the scope on my Savage Model 10 TR.
    Using Tapatalk

AxisGuyFromTN
    I settled on buying the EGW rails for $30 from optics planet, since everyone says they are awesome. To answer thomae's question, weaver does make an Axis specific rail. It's available from opticsplanet for $10 on discount at this moment. I was considering getting it, but i shelled out for the EGW since it's proven many times over. I tried posting the links in an earlier post, but it won't let me, saying an admin must ok the post first.