Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 Reloading

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    You wont be able to go to 300 win mag speeds with an 06 due to its design.Basically the case is too weak to handle the pressure at those pressures.Who ever said it is marginal on all big game is not a rifleman.If you want performance then ditch the 06 and go with a 300 wsm or win mag period.

Jon,
    In no way is the 30/06 case weak. I think that you do not understand that the brass case is only a gasket. The reason that the 30/06 is loaded to lower pressure is because of the older rifles not the case.

Also no one said that the 30/06 could match the performance of a 300 what ever. The reason that they have higher performance is that they have a larger capacity not because they have a stronger case.

The arguement of weak cases always reminds me of when people say rhat the 45 Colt case is weak. That same case is what Dick Casull used to develope the 454 Casull using tri plex loads. The case is only a gasket and it depends as to how the gasket is supported.

Regards, Keith

Pitweiler
    Quote Originally Posted by keith1 View Post
    Jon,
    In no way is the 30/06 case weak. I think that you do not understand that the brass case is only a gasket. The reason that the 30/06 is loaded to lower pressure is because of the older rifles not the case.

Also no one said that the 30/06 could match the performance of a 300 what ever. The reason that they have higher performance is that they have a larger capacity not because they have a stronger case.

The arguement of weak cases always reminds me of when people say rhat the 45 Colt case is weak. That same case is what Dick Casull used to develope the 454 Casull using tri plex loads. The case is only a gasket and it depends as to how the gasket is supported.

Regards, Keith
    In your opinion, do you think SAAMI could raise the pressure limit for .30-06 to about 65-68k psi, with a caveat that it not be used in older rifles? Basically a +P type of round?

Haven't some reloaded pushed 70k in the 30-06? Seems to me that 60k is rather low for the cartridge in modern firearms.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitweiler View Post
    In your opinion, do you think SAAMI could raise the pressure limit for .30-06 to about 65-68k psi, with a caveat that it not be used in older rifles? Basically a +P type of round?

Haven't some reloaded pushed 70k in the 30-06? Seems to me that 60k is rather low for the cartridge in modern firearms.
    Pitweiler,
    I haven't checked recently but doesn't Hornady still produce that high velocity ammo for several different rifle calibers. That could be considered +P I suppose.

I really don't know very much about factory ammo as I haven't used any in many years.

Regards, Keith

Pitweiler
    Quote Originally Posted by keith1 View Post
    Pitweiler,
    I haven't checked recently but doesn't Hornady still produce that high velocity ammo for several different rifle calibers. That could be considered +P I suppose.

I really don't know very much about factory ammo as I haven't used any in many years.

Regards, Keith
    You're thinking of Light Magnum which has been replaced by Superformance. They get a stated 3080fps with 150 grain SST, stating that the pressure is not over SAAMI maximum. Hornady says the velocity is achieved by using a special powder and method of dropping it.

Basic Member
    The SAAMI standards are not necessarily totally up to date. They tend to move slowly and cautiously. They appear to prefer to err on the "safe" side, since we live in a world filled with people looking for an excuse to file suit and live happily ever after!

Pitweiler
    Quote Originally Posted by mikein View Post
    The SAAMI standards are not necessarily totally up to date. They tend to move slowly and cautiously. They appear to prefer to err on the "safe" side, since we live in a world filled with people looking for an excuse to file suit and live happily ever after!
    Amen to that brother.

Basic Member
    The SAMMI standards usually are low enough that the weakest action out there will be safe to shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12