Thread: Needing a little input, another rifle

ShawneeB

Needing a little input, another rifle

Few questions and grateful for all input, opinions.

I'm an FFL, guns come, guns go. No deer rifle right now and a year till season again so I have time to buy, build, and sold off several guns and can get any Savage I want but not into recoil (getting old, over that and shoulder surgerys), not into target comp, 1000yards, $700 stocks etc although they are all gorgeous. Just not what I "need" or will get use from. Rather put the extra $$ into glass on a solid rifle.

It's a deer gun I need, 1-2 deer a season, a few targets (usually reactive like steel, water filled objects) I have a 223 for vermin, coyote, but not saying I wouldn't take the deer gun out for a walk and or call during the year. Like to go 6.5 Creed, .260. 243 Yeah, love the 11LW, The 10 Predator, the old classic but I just don't really need them.

I thought of building what I want and a 110/200 would work since I can't find a reasonable Savage 110 action and yes I watch classifieds. I passed up a Stevens 110E series K. He wanted roughly $300 and the stock was cut about for a 6 year old. I told him I'd make a reasonable offer, he's not interested. Was I wrong not getting it for $300? It would need a stock of course.

There are a few Stevens 200 out there around the same price, some new some almost. I'd probably want to restock that too so still looking at $400 into it.

If I did an Axis I'd restock it too and know about the trigger mods, but I like the 110 actions, the long and short. I realize the 11 and 16xps have accutrigger, does the 200 and 110E have the old 3 screw Savage triggers? 3 screw better than a Axis trigger? Another thing I like on the Stevens 110 and 200 is blind mags vs the plastic DBMs.

Yup, I can have a 11/111THXP package at my door just under $450. Sell the package scope and rings, one fellow just did for $125, then add good glass and good rings/mount Got accutrigger and still would want to replace the stock, can I? Boyds has that XP disclaimer about bottom metal and that stuff is $$. Competent at gunsmithing and building (was a 07mfg) can I make the Boyds work on a 11/111? And no, not adverse to an Axis either but 110/11/111 may suit me better.

I been tossing these questions and calibers around alot, please make up my mind for me

Basic Member
    What is your budget? How much into rifle and how much into glass? Do you have your glass picked out already? For standard hunting a low to medium cost 3-9 power will get it done.

ShawneeB
    Sold a few of my own guns and have a gun stash around $1500 and needing another 12ga 24" turkey/predator with my Night eyes gun light on for night coyote out of that too. 3" fine, don't need a 3 1/2. Mossy 535, 930 is OK, Nova, had the fancy stuff before, don't need it. I do get guns and scopes wholesale so that $$ goes further.

Rather spend only what I need on this one. $800-$1K if need be, figure I can probably do around $7-800ish with glass. I don't pay markup, sales tax or transfer fees. 3x9x40 is fine, 2x7 probably OK too. Vortex Viper , Leupy VX2... Open to suggestions on glass.

If I build off a Stevens or 110 take off or used barrel is fine, don't need a FN Mauser/Fajen/Shilen/Timney/VX3 1/2 MOA rifle, already been there.

Sounds like the hog hunter in 308 would fit in nicely with what you're looking for. Wholesale you should be able to grab one for around $400. Put the rest of your budget into a nice SWFA scope and you're set.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Sounds like the hog hunter in 308 would fit in nicely with what you're looking for. Wholesale you should be able to grab one for around $400. Put the rest of your budget into a nice SWFA scope and you're set.
    I would say that is you're best call! Barrels are easier to come across on the forums than actions too if you wish to re-barrel!

The trophy hunter package gets you a better stock than the axis and an accutrigger for under $500--for another $100 or so you can put a bedded hogue overmold stock on which I like alot.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

jb6.5
    I've got a 16 in 6.5 creedmoor. Not heavy, not to long, dont jar your teeth when you shoot it, very accurate, and it kills stuff like lightning. To me, it's the perfect hunting rig. I've got a lot of other guns but this one has the best of everything.

ShawneeB
    Thanks for the input guys, I do really like the Hog rifle and if I didn't have a threaded 223 already would have gotten one before. 308 is a great round, wanted to go lighter this time. 11XP was a top contender and I have used and liked the accutrigger. Yes I do like those SWFA too.

I would still appreciate some glass input. Best one piece mount and rings? Don't think I need a 20moa, not doing 1000

Saw something and couldn't resist it. Stevens 200 new, 243 win, $330 shipped. Read reviews and comments, it will do what I want and just fine for this old school old timer. Only questionable thing on my part is I have wanted a 6.5 Creed since they came out. No prob if I want to try one anyway. 243's always been a favorite. Work up a deer load over the next 11 months and play with some vermin loads. Guys are getting close to 4000fps with 55gr nosler ballistics, sounds like it will do a pop can of water a world of hurt. Of course I always have the Howa1500 suppressed 223 to play with for vermin too. Yeah, need to come up with fur friendly for both, hides aren't much but covers powder and primers anyway.

RiverSink
    Stevens 200 for $330.00
    Sav 1 trigger $95.00
    Boyd's stock $110.00
    Zeiss Cobquest 3-9x40 sample list $350.00
    DNZ mount $60.00
    Total=$945.00
    Not exactly cheap, but not bad for a very solid setup.

ShawneeB
    River, that sounds pretty good!
    I'll try the trigger first, smooth it a bit, adjust it.
    Love the Boyds and would pillar bed of course. First probably cut the braces out the stocker, fill/bed and see what happens.
    That could save me couple hundred but well within budget, if I need a better trigger and not happy with the results, I'll get those too!
    I have a 1946 Ziess 35mm camera (like new), awesome piece. I hadn't looked at the Conquest yet but will. Thank you

ChicagoJoe
    If you don't like recoil you may want to consider 7mm-08. It has similar ballistics to a .308 with less recoil.

The Creedmoor is a very good choice if one wants to use the rifle for heavier game than deer.

Further, one doesn't need to use full-house loads all the time to which means that the recoil can be more like the .243.

It won't however, spit out 54 grain bullets at 4,000 fps...

Basic Member
    If you end up with a Stevens 200, check the trigger before you buy if you can. The later 200's come with a trigger much like the axis trigger. The last one I bought to do a build on had the worst trigger I have ever tried to use. It came from Savage incorrectly assembled, the spring was screwed completely out of the trigger and the hole filled with thread locker. I ended up replacing it with a rifle basix from Jim at NSS and it worked out great. I have several Savages with accutrigger and several of the old 3 screw models. I can make the old trigger work pretty well, but I still like the accutrigger better. Check the local pawn shops for a used rifle and rebarrel if needed. Not a big challenge at all. Good luck
    NRA Endowment Member

David_4
    The 6.5 Creedmoor will do everything you want and more without the recoil.

Basic Member
    can't go wrong with the Stevens but you will probably want to change out the trigger(RifleBasix recommended) for about $90. if you were interested in the 6.5 creedmoor you will not be disappointed with it. the 6.5cm is everything people will tell you about it, kill almost everything within reason, accurate and less recoil. it's my favorite of all the calibers i have and more fun to shoot, i also have bad shoulders and i am 61.
    unfortunately the Stevens does not come in the 6.5 creedmoor!

Bruce

David_4
    If you like Zeiss, look at their Terra 3X. I have a 4-12x42 and love it. The Digital Oasis has it for 366.00 and the 3-9x42 for 327.00.