Thread: Close range predator options

Close range predator options

Looking at options for close range predator work, I was planning to mount a rail on top of my 'yote gun, and installing a set of Dueck Defense rapid transition sights on the rail, which would give a relatively easy close range sighting option, but would make for a really short sight radius, even shorter than my 1911 Compact. I then explored the option of running the front sight outbound, on a Hog Hunter barrel where the front sight base currently resides. The only problem with this is that the sights would not be aligned and probably not usable for that reason since the sights are made to be mounted on a rail. Finding a rail with the correct contour to match the barrel was impossible, so the search continued. I stumbled across a Weaver offset rail adaptor that puts a sight off the right side at a 45 degree angle, which would be just what I need for my LH rifle. The Burris FastFire would work perfect for this, but is there a smaller option?

I know not quite what your looking for, but pretty hard to beat a shotgun. I use to not hassle with it, buy sling it over shoulder, with us Hunters bipod, easy to grab, point and shoot, lot less hard chargers and back door dogs get away from us.
    12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270

Since the rifle is always at the ready, trying to keep from getting busted. In Kansas, you usually get to see them long before they come in close and can make the change from rifle to shotgun quite easily. That doesn't happen very often here, where they can come out of the brush pretty much anywhere. Rolling the rifle to a 45 degree angle with a secondary sighting system at the ready would be faster, with less likelihood of a 'yote spooking while I'm grabbing for the shotgun. Been there, done that.

Basic Member
    Hotolds, I use a Mossberg 500 for my close predator work. I have a red dot scope, a super tight Turkey Choke, and Dead Coyote 12 gauge ammo. Any varmint appearing with 50 yards of my hide-out is dead.