Thread: Savage 99 serial number sequencing/ issue order and caliber release date questions!

Basic Member

Savage 99 serial number sequencing/ issue order and caliber release date questions!

I have a question about serial number orders and dates. I HAVE looked at a LOT of threads and completely understand the lever-boss date code concept.

I have 2 Savage 99 rifles. A 99EG in .300Savage that has a lever boss date code [F, I think and was told] that corresponds to 1954, and a serial number that is 699,xxx [not coy: forget last three digits].

The second one is a 99F in .308 with a lever boss code that seems to be 1957, but could be a 1958 [can't see the bottom to tell if it is an I or a J] with a serial number that is 943,xxx [again: can't remember last three digits].

Here is the issue.

I have found a couple of threads on the internet [here, 24 hour campfire, Savage Shooters, etc] that made me curious/nervous.

The first is a couple of threads by someone who has a Savage 99EG with a serial number of 701,000; but he said it was a 1953 rifle.

My date code indicates a 1954, but has a serial number LOWER than his. Did Savage release them/make them out of serial number sequence? How likely is it for a 699,xxx rifle to be made a year after a 701,000 rifle? Were the serial numbers connected to the caliber? I don't recall if he listed his caliber at all.

The second issue is trying to get a better handle on my 99F. Mine is serial 943,xxx and I can't tell if it was an "I" or a "J" in the lever code boss. It was a number "17" for the inspector in front of it. Can anyone provide any more info based on the serial number? One person was VERY helpful when he identified that there were a LOT more 99 rifles made in .308 in 1957 than there were in 1958, so 57 is a better chance: but I'd prefer to have a better grasp. Like people able to read their boss code and saying "My 99F is a 58 and has serial number of 941,xxx".

If rifles were always released in proper serial number sequencing, my 99F would have to be a 58.

Lastly is the issue of WHEN the.308 was first released in the Savage 99F?

I read quite a few posts that say 1957.

However, I was reading advertisements for sale and one from 1955 listed the Savage 99F available in 4 calibers, one of which was the .308Winchester. That would seem to indicate the first model 99 rifles in .308 were in '55. Was that the advertised start, but they took two more years to work up the rifles and make the actions stronger? Or was it a trickle in 55/56? or were the other posts wrong about .308 starting in 1957?

I really like the Savage 99 [obviously: I have two now], but was confused about these points. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Ya, mid 600,000's and up to the high 600,000's will drive a guy nutty. I've got pages of serial numbers and date codes to match to them but in the 600's it will drive a guy batty. Not sure what Savage did in this period, wheather they stamped the serial numbers when they left the factory but stamped the date codes as the receivers were taken off the line or vice versa or what but in the era you just mentioned I pretty much gave up trying to figure them out. I think the stamper was a closet alcoholic.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Ya, mid 600,000's and up to the high 600,000's will drive a guy nutty. I've got pages of serial numbers and date codes to match to them but in the 600's it will drive a guy batty. Not sure what Savage did in this period, wheather they stamped the serial numbers when they left the factory but stamped the date codes as the receivers were taken off the line or vice versa or what but in the era you just mentioned I pretty much gave up trying to figure them out. I think the stamper was a closet alcoholic.
    Thanks!

I now know I am not getting senile earlier than I should: it is Savage's Fault-Not Mine!!!!

Am I right that I should just refer to it by the date code on the lever boss and leave it at that? Or should I " * " the date due to these issue?

I'm inclined to just leave all references to the lever boss code and leave it alone at that: am I misleading anyone?

Thanks again!

No, date codes do work, just not that accurately in that time period. The early 1950 date codes and serial numbers were all screwed up.

Date codes are not only on just 99's but everything Savage made in the Chicopee factory right up to the early 70's after they moved to Westfield. I've got 110's, 170's, shotguns, etc that the date codes do work on.

You must have been hanging around the fire to be calling it a "lever boss code", it's a date code. The other version is for the guys that know nothing else about Savages except for 99's.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    No, date codes do work, just not that accurately in that time period. The early 1950 date codes and serial numbers were all screwed up.

Date codes are not only on just 99's but everything Savage made in the Chicopee factory right up to the early 70's after they moved to Westfield. I've got 110's, 170's, shotguns, etc that the date codes do work on.

You must have been hanging around the fire to be calling it a "lever boss code", it's a date code. The other version is for the guys that know nothing else about Savages except for 99's.
    These are my only Savages, so I am not familiar with all of the others. Maybe I picked up the lever boss code from trying to find the date on my Marlin 39a: it was from 1954 also.

Thanks for the clarification. It is a date code, that is located on the lever boss for the model 99. I am clear now.

I guess in my will I'll identify the 99EG as a 54, as that is what the date code indicates, but make a mark that it could be as early as 53. I don't expect to ever sell the rifle.

Thanks again.

I am trying to learn all I can, as I usually do when I get 'the bug'.

Ctwilly49
    Picked up my first 99 around Christmas, and the Gentleman I purchased it from wanted to wait till after the Holidays to do transaction. I asked him for Serial# and began the Journey to date it. The Boss Letter was a "G" and it was a Model F ( Feather Lite ) DOB 1955, 22" Barrel, Factory tapped w/ Weaver K4 3x9 Scope in 300 Savage. The Ad for this Rifle simply said Savage 99 for sale. As was still there 2 Wks later when I called he still had it and I had to drive 200 Miles round Trip to see it! It was all worth it, the Gun looks new and he threw in Sling, Peep Sights, Bag and 4 Boxes of ammo $550! Takin it to the Grave!

dljenson
    Howdy, new here from MN, just bought a Savage 99C in 308 Serial # A295*** (I've always wanted to get one). I've been all over the Savage 99 sites, and all I can find out so far is my rifle was made after 1971 when they started putting letters ahead of six numbers. Would any of you guys be able to tell me which year my rifle was actually made? Thanks for any help you can give.

dljenson
    sorry did a repeat

It was made in 1970.

dljenson
    Thanks Mad Dog