Thread: ? on build

wisconsinteacher

? on build

My build is going good, but I have a few questions. I used a go and no-go gauge to set the headspace for my 6mmBR. I did not take the extractor out of the bolt when I did this. I set it so the go gauge went with ease and the no-go closed 1/4 of the way. Am I okay? I also noticed that my bright stainless barrel has some slight scratches on it. What can I use to remove them? I also added pillars and bedded the action in Devcon. I have read that 30 in/lbs is standard on the action screws, is this correct?

Thanks, if all is good, I am ready to mount the scope and start loading up some ammo. If it needs to be fixed, I am at a point where I can do it now before I get too far.

Werewolf
    As far as your first question about headspace goes,that sounds perfect.

Team Savage
    I don't removed the ejector or extractor when headspacing barrels. I follow the same process you describe using the proper go and no-go gauges. I do slowly pull back the bolt and check to make sure the gauge rim is seated in the bolt head and under the extractor. I use Flitz polish to remove light surface scratches from SS, You don't want to use anything too aggressive.
    Last edited by jpdown; 12-18-2013 at 02:36 AM.