Thread: 7mm-06

Basic Member

7mm-06

So I've seen the ballistic data on the 7-08 cartridge, but have recently been wondering about trying a 7-06 in the future instead of 300WM. It would use less powder have less recoil and use some good high BC projectiles in both match and hunting loads.

I can't recall ever hearing of anyone else running it though. Based on 7-08 data it should reach out passed 1500yds pretty easily for target shooting and be plenty good for hunting.

This thread is basically a little research as this will probably be something done a ways down the road if I ever make up my mind on a future build and cartridge.

Let me know if anyone as experience with this one.

Thanks,

LW

7mm-06 is typically referred to as the 280 Remington.

280AI is even more goodness.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    7mm-06 is typically referred to as the 280 Remington.

280AI is even more goodness.
    I was just going to post the same thing. And just FYI to the OP there is a 280 Remington AI as well.

KRP
    Essentially the 7mm Express, also known as the 280 Remington...it's a standard cartridge.

Basic Member
    the 280 rem is essentially a 7mmx06.
    it is a great cartridge and in the ackley chambering can achieve (almost) 7 mm rem mag performance with less powder.
    it certainly wouldnt be a 1500 yd cartridge however. but then very few are. i also wouldnt be comparing it to a 300 win mag
    for any purpose.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    the 280 rem is essentially a 7mmx06.
    it is a great cartridge and in the ackley chambering can achieve (almost) 7 mm rem mag performance with less powder.
    it certainly wouldnt be a 1500 yd cartridge however. but then very few are. i also wouldnt be comparing it to a 300 win mag
    for any purpose.
    I was under the impression that the 270 was closer to 7mm than the 280, but I guess we all learn something new every day. It may not be a Tac driver or killer at 1500yds,but would be good enough to play with compared to my 308 which will be a 7-08 in its next life.

stangfish
    Yea, They really did botch op the sizes didn't they. In the US I think we go by caliber being the minor dimension of the bore. But we often name the cartridge similar to the major diameter. Hence a 30 cal. being 308. I think the metric they call it by the minor dimension as well but don't use the major diameter in the name of the chambering. A 7mm bullet has a major diameter of something like 7.2x.

Watch some fella after me say "280 Remington!"
    Last edited by stangfish; 12-15-2013 at 11:33 PM.

.280 Remington?

Disregard that last one. This is what happens when you don't hit "refresh". Didn't see all the other posts

stangfish
    Just messing with ya. Been a while BN

Feel like a schmuck. Lol

Basic Member
    we could have a long discussion here about the sincerity of the late jack o conner.
    maybe some enjoyable evenings sipping cocktais around safari camfires for pushing
    the 270 as opposed to the 280?

tyler.woodard04
    7mm -.284
    6.8mm- .277
    6mm- 243

Basic Member
    The main reason the 280 was not an immediate success was a (another) Remington marketing failure. They brought it out in a Semi Auto rifle and "down loaded" it for that purpose. When hand loaded to its potential it surpasses the 270 Win, and I believe Jack Oconner was quoted as admitting this?

Jack O'Conner wasn't "wrong" about the 270.

But in 2013 (almost 2014), with modern powders and bullets, O'Connor's not necessarily still "right" either.

Basic Member
    i would agree that remington has made some very dumb decisions. the 6mm rem is another case in point.
    both cartridges would have been better and more popular than the winchester offerings if presented properly.
    that said the potential was still there and scribes like oconner did little to make their readers aware of that.