Thread: savage stevens 200 barrel

dudz

savage stevens 200 barrel

Hi
    I have just bought a Savage Stevens 200 in 7/08 caliber. I want to use it for Range shooting between 500-800 meters. My plan is to upgrade it to a "sniper looking" long range rifle.
    I prefer the stainless bull Barrels. What is the longest barrel i can use for this caliber and what rate of twist would be best ?

Thanks

Basic Member

Re: savage stevens 200 barrel

Depends on whether you want a factory barrel or aftermarket barrel. With aftermarket barrel the sky is pretty much the limit because you can get 30+ inch barrel blanks to build on. With factory barrels you are probably looking at less than that overall length if you plan on keeping the 7mm-08.

Savage does make factory barrels that are 30" but they are not 7mm-08. They ca be had in 223, 308, 6.5x284 and 6 Norma BR (Based on the Savage website). You might have a problem finding them but Northland Shooter Supply, in the classified section, has a great selection of barrels, both factory and aftermarket. He doesn't list any of the 30" barrels but he may be able to get them.

Dolomite

You should be able to do fine with a 28" heavy varmint tube and 1/9.5 twist. You'll be able to shoot the heavier 140/142 grain match pills at the ranges you stated.

Tom
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

McKinneyMike

26" to 28" should be great with this cartridge.

dudz

Thanks for all your replies. I have managed to find a Lothar Walther 28" Stainless Heavy barrel. (21mm dia external at mouth)

Now that i can order it, which stocks (with adjustable length and cheekpiece) in "sniper" syle will fit the stevens action and this heavy barrel ? and which ones do you recommend for use ?

Thanks

ICUDIEN

Quote Originally Posted by dudz
    Thanks for all your replies. I have managed to find a Lothar Walther 28" Stainless Heavy barrel. (21mm dia external at mouth)

Now that i can order it, which stocks (with adjustable length and cheekpiece) in "sniper" syle will fit the stevens action and this heavy barrel ? and which ones do you recommend for use ?

Thanks
    Hey man you'll want to watch the term "sniper" or "tactical" because the old sour guys on this site think its "not cool" and if you don't believe me read some of the posts in the "off-topic" boards.

sinman

haha im not old but I think tactical is very over used. I have a "tactical rifle" but I don't call it that I call it the Zombie Hunter

ICUDIEN

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    haha im not old but I think tactical is very over used. I have a "tactical rifle" but I don't call it that I call it the Zombie Hunter
    I know but, hey if he likes it then more power to him. I just read a post in the off-topic board and some guy wrong like a book about how dumb it is, it just makes me mad that guys have to write crap like that.

Uncle Jack

".............because the old sour guys on this site think its "not cool"

old sour guys???

How "cool" is that?

uj

McKinneyMike

I don't pass judgement on any type of rifle that someone wants to shoot. It is what makes shooting personalized and fun. Hell I personally like the feel of a tactical stock to most hunting stocks, but I prefer to shoot from prone or a bench if I have my choice. We all have our preferences and that should never be questioned, IMO. Just get out there and shoot hell out of what ever it is that you like to shoot is my motto, as long as it is done with out destruction of someone else's property :)

ICUDIEN

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    ".............because the old sour guys on this site think its "not cool"

old sour guys???

How "cool" is that?

uj
    Sorry man but that post just made you look sour to me. It kinda rubbed me wrong. If I was selling things and I put the word "tactical" in it's name and it suddenly appealed to another group of people and I was selling more well I would put that name on it to, like most would.

dudz

Well, the way I see it is, If your building a rifle for precision long range shooting, you might as-well have the "sniper" or "Tactical" stock on it, as they surely were designed for this purpose, having the "comfort" of the shooter in mind. Only difference being, im shooting at silhouettes and not people ! Anyway I dont hunt or I would have a Stock that suits my shoulder !

Now, back to my question..... What is a good tacticle (adjustable stock to fit the stevens 200 action and aftermarket LW 28" Barrell)

Basic Member

I'm tickled to death with my McRee MP-MODSS stock. I'm planning to buy another one just like it when Sinman finishes my Brux .260 barrel.

http://www.mcreesprecision.net/
    Stevens 200, .260/ Sin Arms Brux #7, 24"/ Stockade Woodchuck/ Rifle Basix SAV1/ Nikon Buckmaster 4x-14x-40mm

lwink

+1 on mccree, scott is super nice too! I'm only a couple weeks out from getting a stockade p-dog special/tactical stock from kevin at Stockade stocks and he has been nothing but great to work with, it will have AICS magazines so I suppose that will be a "tactical" look and there are many options for adjustable lop and cheek pieces on his stocks, although look at your total price compared to scott's and you may be surprised at what you find if you go all out on options at stockade. If you want to save a couple hundred dollars, go with the choate ultra varminter as I have one of these as well and really have liked it a lot, it is heavy but fit the action and bull barrel great, looks good to me, and is very accurate.