Thread: Benchrest actions duplicating savage actions?

docsleepy

Benchrest actions duplicating savage actions?

Are there any benchrest (custom) actions that accept Savage-threaded barrels, or have the same screw spacing as Savage short or long actions?

I know there are custom actions that mimic Remington 700's, so I wonder if there are any that replace Savage actions? If so, I'd be more interested in them.

thanks for any leads,
    gordon

Basic Member

Re: Benchrest actions duplicating savage actions?

Shilen is planning a cross breed action that utilized a Savage bolt head and Savage barrel threads. It still uses a Remington style trigger and footprint.
    They are being made by Stiller's Precision Firearms.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

ellobo

I am more interested in seeing or hearing about what is being done with Marlin actions. Has any of the barrel makers come out with replacement barrels or are replacement bolt heads available, How about stocks etc.

El Lobo

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    I am more interested in seeing or hearing about what is being done with Marlin actions. Has any of the barrel makers come out with replacement barrels or are replacement bolt heads available, How about stocks etc.

El Lobo
    there is a marlin site you could go to.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

82boy

There is a custom action maker that is using a floating bolt head similar to a Savage. I can not remember their name it is something like big horn.

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    There is a custom action maker that is using a floating bolt head similar to a Savage. I can not remember their name it is something like big horn.
    Yes, Bighorn Arms. Its a 700 pattern using the Savage design bolthead. http://bighornarms.com/

Bill

McKinneyMike

Has anyone seen these in person or know of anyone that is using them currently? They look like a great action on paper, but for this kind of money, I want to see some experienced peoples thoughts on the action and any possible issues vs some of the besy known actions on the market, before I spend this kind of money. They do look good in the photos though.

Basic Member

Anyone know what the Marlin website is?

Basic Member

this is a weird thread, like everyones talking- actions, marlin, savage- Did anyone connect?

Basic Member

Agree with Fred, the Shilen action is going to be pretty close. Saw a single shot and repeater back in Dec (plus a new 22RF that should get some guys going too), they were using the Shilen trigger. The front of the action/barrel nut made me think I was looking at a Savage.

They should announce these at the swap meet later this month and have to say they would be a nice way to get into benchrest on a budget if they price em right.

Doc why not just go with a Savage target action, not a copy of it.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by efm77
    Anyone know what the Marlin website is?
    http://www.marlinowners.com/
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

docsleepy

Hi guys, THANKS for all the info! Expecially about the Shilen.

As to the savage target action: Doesn't quite add up yet. You pay $400-500 for it, and yet it still isn't trued. So you have to send it off and have it trued. There went $150- or more. This is right up in the range of a Lawton action, or maybe some other somewhat off-brand actions. The trigger is good, but not great. so there you have to send it off again and right now SSS seems to own that market and their product is arguably competitive. Maybe the bolt needs to be replaced to fit a little tighter....the firing pin needs bushing.....see where I'm going? The economics just don't add up.

Now having said all that, I kinda wish I had bit the bullet and bought a savage target, 'cause a I built a "sorta" benchrest gun around a 12 action, and I'm excited about every part of it....except the trigger. I'm saving up $$ to get that little problem fixed, but I have suspect that for MY purposes (which are not competitive benchrest), had I gone with the target action in the first place, I might be satisfied right now. I dunno.

But that Shilen action....now that is quite interesting!

82boy

IMO the only benefit to the target action over a standard action is the ability to have a dual port, and nothing else. I was in the same shoes as you and I bought a Bat, I have around 2k in it, and I can not say that it is any better than my Savage, built off of a model 11 action.( except for the dual port.)

docsleepy

82boy -- thanks for the comparison! I'm still a beginner, and there are many of y'all on this site who have taken savage actions and made rifle way more accurate than ME, at least at the present time! Every little part makes some difference, just not sure which make the MOST difference. Trigger may be next upon on my list.

Basic Member

agree with you 82boy, while I like the configuration of a target action, can't see the difference in $$.

docsleepy, if I get over to the swap meet will let you know what they have to say about the new action - like you, think it sounds interesting.

docsleepy

Yep, I looked at Stiller's site.....didn't recognize the name but have heard of Vipers before!
    If they make something that will take a savage barrel--particularly the smaller shank -- then I would be very interested.
    If they can make one that would fit the stock I already have, well, that would be even more intersting.

But just in general, something already trued, able to take a benchrest trigger, able to swap out with savage barrels....I think there would be a very profitable niche market there. I bet Shilen discovered that with their prefits.

Would probably be my next rifle.

82boy

The SSS evolution trigger is nice, I think it is better than the Shilen trigger I have in my Bat. I have also compared it to Jewel trigger in a friends Bat and it is very hard to tell the difference.

docsleepy

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    The SSS evolution trigger is nice, I think it is better than the Shilen trigger I have in my Bat. I have also compared it to Jewel trigger in a friends Bat and it is very hard to tell the difference.
    Thanks! very helpful info. I may end up with one on my current action. They have a very nice product.
    Gordon