Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope questions

bflee

Scope questions

I was wondering what some of you would recommend scope wise for a guy on a budget who wants a scope for a Savage 12 LRP which will be used to target shoot out to around 600 yards and box stand deer hunting. I will be doing a lot more target shooting than hunting and would like a mil-mil type I think I understand it but have never used it. Do I need first focal plane or second? Magnification power? I have always used a 3-9x40 on a old 30-06 and it worked pretty well out to 300, but I would like turrets to be able to extend accuracy at long range.

Basic Member
    look into the swfa ss line. moderately priced and will compare with scopes twice the price. I have a 10x mil/mil on my .308, and it tracks and returns to zero very well. i did a lot of scope research and this is a great scope for folks with budgets, yet still performs.
    [B]"Fumeiyo Yori Shi"[/B]

Basic Member
    Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X or 4.5-14X
    Burris fullfield II line.

Basic Member
    On my 12FV in 22-250 I am using a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44. While it isn't the cheapest scope on the market you get a fantastic warranty and very clear optics for a fair price. So far I like it as much as my Leupolds.

Darrell

kdvarmint
    Budget? First focal plane is probably out. Not necessary anyway. 600 yard target, you'll want something that adjusts up to at least up to 21 to 24 power if you expect to see holes in paper. Higher power is better for this, but quality of lenses is more important. For target on a budget this is superb...http://www.killoughshootingsports.co...36-scopes.html but NOT ideal for your hunting application. There are many options for you and I'm sure you'll get many decent opinions here . Best advise, LENS QUALITY, buy the best you can afford. You will get what you pay for. With all the options available to you, I just wish you good luck. Let us know what you settle on, and how it works for you.

kd.

A weaver V-6-24x40 classic would fit the bill nicely.A used one would be even cheaper.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Hunting and target on a budget might be a problem. In Michigan, I mostly hunt heavy swamps, and prefer low power variables 1.75-5 or so...
    If you're hunting bean fields and power lines, I 'spose you can go 5-14, but now you're going to be hard-pressed to get high quality glass in that range of configuration for less than $700 IMHO.

As you might know, price goes up substantially when you combine good tracking (mechanics), variable power and glass.

If it were me, and I were you, I'd use your 3-9 for hunting, and switch to a swfa ss 16 or 20 fixed power (as suggested earlier) for target play. For $300, they are awesome!

bflee
    The hunting would be long range still hunting. I have a 308 with a 1-4x32 for my close in, fast jobs.

Basic Member
    Then again, how do you define "budget"? Even the pentagon is on a budget! are they?

Anyhow, look, too, at the SWFA SS 3-15X42 It has FFP and excellent reviews ( like all the rest of the SWFA SS line) $700

davemuzz
    If your target shooting from 300 to 600 yards, you really don't need a variable scope. Like the others have said, a fixed 20X or better will do ya just fine. I have 2 Leupold VX-3's 8-25X with the Varmint hunter reticule's. One is on my Savage .223 factory Precision Carbine that helps make it (along with my hand loads) one heck of a tack-driver. The other is mounted on my Savage M-12 action with a Shilen barrel chambered in 6.5 Swede. Those groundhogs at 600 yards are not only fun to shoot at….but I usually score better than they do.

Also, if I set the 8-25X Leupold scope on the lowest 8X, I can easily and clearly see a whitetail deer at 25 yards. That's the beauty of a higher end scope.

But, if your just going to hunt, a lower end 3-9X will do you just fine, and a high power fixed for the range will do ya just fine.

FWIW

Dave

stangfish
    Go with glass over magnification. Zeiss does fine in the 400 - 600 dollar range. Also a good used 6500 Bushnell in the 2.5-16x, Nikon Monarch, Vortex PST. There are several others in the "older/used" scope category. Stay away from the Chinese optics if at all possible. Rare are the ones that are as good as 1 out of 10 will say. A hunt is no way to discover the lack of quality or the Customer Service benifits

Basic Member
    Find ya a used Bushnell elite tactical. Hard to beat for the money

Basic Member
    I like the Weaver tactical. They're FFP and Mil/Mil. I have a few of the 3-15x and they're great for the price.

They also have it in 4-20x50.

kdvarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by bflee View Post
    The hunting would be long range still hunting. I have a 308 with a 1-4x32 for my close in, fast jobs.
    As long as its long range hunting only, I'd probably go this route. Also, on the benches where I match shoot I see Nightforce, Leupold, and quite a few of these. http://www.killoughshootingsports.co...36-scopes.html Again, good luck.

kd.

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    If your target shooting from 300 to 600 yards, you really don't need a variable scope. Like the others have said, a fixed 20X or better will do ya just fine. I have 2 Leupold VX-3's 8-25X with the Varmint hunter reticule's. One is on my Savage .223 factory Precision Carbine that helps make it (along with my hand loads) one heck of a tack-driver. The other is mounted on my Savage M-12 action with a Shilen barrel chambered in 6.5 Swede. Those groundhogs at 600 yards are not only fun to shoot at….but I usually score better than they do.

Also, if I set the 8-25X Leupold scope on the lowest 8X, I can easily and clearly see a whitetail deer at 25 yards. That's the beauty of a higher end scope.

But, if your just going to hunt, a lower end 3-9X will do you just fine, and a high power fixed for the range will do ya just fine.

FWIW

Dave
    8x and deer at 25 yards, you can see deer fine but to actually see it, it will take you a few seconds to many seconds depending on how the gun fits you. I watched my buddy miss an Elk 30 yards out while walking dark timber.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    I missed a scrawny buck in tall grass about 20ft in front of me, BROADSIDE once. He was there right in front of me before I knew it, I pulled up and... NOTHING! Dropped it down, saw him again, pulled up, NOTHING... I could not find him. I started to panic, so in desperation, I just pointed my shotgun (slug) at him and missed. He ran like a bat outta hell. Fortunately, I was not in the woods, but an open, tall grass field. I eventually got him, but I had to let him go about 30, then 40 and 50 yards before I could get a good shot, and then it was at his back-end. Ever since then, I have made a point to always keep my scope at 1.5 or 3 power (whatever is lowest) so as to be able to shoot at close range with the larger field of view, etc. I figure if it appears at long range, I will have enough time to turn it up if need be.

bflee
    I got a laugh the other day when one of my coworkers told me a story about a young guy hunting a box stand with him.
    First of all he pulled his rifle up and aimed at a buck

bflee
    Sorry, kids!

He aimed the rifle and sho at a small buck about sixty yards out and when he fired his scope fell into the bottom of the stand. That's not the funny part!
    The buck stands right there looking and the boy picks his scope up and lays it back on top of his rifle and looks through it to get a second shot off!
    I don't believe I would be hunting with him again!

davemuzz
    Lesson with a variable power scope is ALWAYS set it on the lowest power when your woods hunting. (Varmint hunting is a different matter) If you find your quarry (usually big game) is "out there", usually you will have time to adjust your scope power up as if the big game animal is that far away, normally the animal hasn't detected you yet.

Stockrex, I dunno what brand of scope your buddy was using, but I've practiced many times with my VX-3 on a quick pull up at 20 to 40 yards to acquire a big game target with both eyes open, and I haven't found it difficult with the VX-3, when set on 8X. (My lowest setting on my 8-25X-50MM.

Dave

Basic Member
    I"m not sure mil-dot is the reticle you need, but since that is what you want.... Nikon has 2 scopes that may work for you. Both are the New 2013 Series PROSTAFF 5's. I have used the 4.5-14 with BDC reticle to shoot steel plates at 500 going 10 for 10. I only add that because I do not consider myself a good shooter, the BDC made it easy. The other PROSTAFF 5 with Mil-dot is a 4.5-18. Plenty of magnification for what you want to do. Both scopes are under $460. I have shot to 600 yards using a 8 and 12 power scope though I admit my older eyes would rather have at least 12X for that kind of shooting. If you take a look at Nikon's BDC reticle scopes you can also check out Spot On and see how you can dial in your rifle,scope and ammo for maximum accuracy.
    Am I a bit biased with my recommendation? Believe me, If I didn't have hands on knowledge with these scopes in a similar situation to what you are wanting, I wouldn't reply. Yes I do some freelance work for Nikon, but again, if I didn't think I could help I wouldn't say anything.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Vortex HS

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Lesson with a variable power scope is ALWAYS set it on the lowest power when your woods hunting. (Varmint hunting is a different matter) If you find your quarry (usually big game) is "out there", usually you will have time to adjust your scope power up as if the big game animal is that far away, normally the animal hasn't detected you yet.

Stockrex, I dunno what brand of scope your buddy was using, but I've practiced many times with my VX-3 on a quick pull up at 20 to 40 yards to acquire a big game target with both eyes open, and I haven't found it difficult with the VX-3, when set on 8X. (My lowest setting on my 8-25X-50MM.

Dave
    Dave you correct, it is not difficult to acquire a target with a good quality scope with generous exit pupil and well aligned cheek weld. My buddy had 20 plus year old scope on his 06, not sure of the brand.
    VX-3, I have only one and I love the exit pupil, I am going to put it on my 6.5x55 cz
    newbie from gr, mi.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    VX-3, I have only one and I love the exit pupil, I am going to put it on my 6.5x55 cz
    I would say that's a good choice.

Dave

Maxxwell86
    +1 on the SWFA 10x42 fixed Super Sniper. Got one on my 30-06 and it is plenty of magnification for 600. Mine was only $200 slightly used.

Jimmy21
    depends on what you want and how big your budget is

Some good options would be
    $300 swfa super sniper in either 6x or 10x
    $700 swfa super sniper in 3x-15x variable first focal plane

if second focal plane is ok with you then there are cheaper options for variable and if you have a larger budget there are better options

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast