Thread: Which see thru mounts

Maxxwell86

Which see thru mounts

Ive got a Super Sniper fixed 10x42 on my Savage 110 on a 20 moa EGW picatinny rail. It still has the factory rifled barrel on it and I was thinking of changing to see thru rings for those occasional close up 75 yd shots on deer. Does anyone have any experience with different models of rings?

My primary concern is how large of a see thru hole do I need to work with those fixed sights.

Here is a pic of the rifle before i scoped it

stangfish
    The SS is not a hunting optic. Consider putting that thing aside and getting a variable power scope like a 3-9.

What stang said. See-thru mounts will raise your scope so high that getting a good cheek weld will be very hard. A 3-9X will work much better for that 75yd shot than the iron sights would.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    What stang said. See-thru mounts will raise your scope so high that getting a good cheek weld will be very hard. A 3-9X will work much better for that 75yd shot than the iron sights would.
    Also what stang and barrel-nut said. I have never seen any see thru mounts that did not set the scope up too high to get a proper cheek set. A lot of people don't realize how important that is for accuracy .

Maxxwell86
    This is my 600 yd rifle (and yes, the factory barrel is around 1 moa all the way to 600) so I'm not gonna re-scope it just for deer. Maybe if I get around to my 7mm-08 long range build I will re-task this one.

Thanks for the info. Hate to waste money on an experiment.

Wildboarem
    Look at getting a front ring with a picatinny off set rail and mount a small holosight ie Burris fast fire or such. It works for 3gun or get a ring with the picatinny on the top like http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtr1x4x.html

I'm not a fan at all of see through mounts. they wil put your scope up very high and make it hard to get a decent cheek weld for your other shooting. I would try a set of leupold quick detach rings. Then if the need arises you can remove the scope quickly.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxwell86 View Post
    Hate to waste money on an experiment.
    You'd be wasting money buying see thru rings, so what's the difference? Buying a 3-9x scope now just means you're all set when you get that 7ought8 finished. Not an experiment, just planning ahead.....

Maxxwell86
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    You'd be wasting money buying see thru rings, so what's the difference? Buying a 3-9x scope now just means you're all set when you get that 7ought8 finished. Not an experiment, just planning ahead.....
    You've all convinced me not to go with see thru rings but QD might be an idea. I've no experience with change in POI with QD rings. Would love info on that.

As far as putting a 3x9 on this rifle, I already stated this is set for 600 yds, handloads and dope tables figured for this scope. Not gonna dump all that for 1 deer a year...lol

If you use a quality picitinny base and quality QD rings and place the scope in the same slots each time , shift in POI should be minimal and easily corrected.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.