Thread: Kiwi and 3M epoxy

Team Savage

Kiwi and 3M epoxy

Just finished my 4th or 5th action job. I have used grease or Pam and JB Weld in the past but this time I used Kiwi neutral shoe polish as the release agent and 3M epoxy. IT WORKS!!! Best job I've done to date. Smacked the stock with the heel of my hand and I heard it snap. Action lifted right out. "I love it when things come together"

Bill

82boy

Re: Kiwi and 3M epoxy

Kiwi shoe polish works great! I have been using it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf
    "I love it when things come together"
    or in this case, you love it when things come apart....LOL
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

which 3m epoxy did you use? pls post a link for us newbies.

I have some black kiwi shoe polish from years back, won't it be a mess to cleanup?
    newbie from gr, mi.

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex
    which 3m epoxy did you use? pls post a link for us newbies.
    Echo Stockrex's question: Which 3M epoxy? They make many.
    Thanks, and congratulations on your success.
    All the best,
    Thomae

Team Savage

3M Scotch-Weld, epoxy adhesive in gray. I did a dry run to see if it worked as well as JB Weld and Devcon. Seemed to be a little soft after 8 hours but stiffened up in 24. Posted some questions here and on the "Shooters Forum", guy there said it worked great and did not shrink. I am happy with it and the price was right. ;D

The Kiwi worked great, goes on thinner and smoother than grease and I don't sleep well when using Pam. Couldn't believe how easy it came apart and there was no sticking or little thin pieces breaking out.

This was on a Boyds Ross Thumbhole so I had to do pillars too. I remove the trigger/sear assemble and leave the back pillar whole and cut it after I have the rifle bedded. I bed in two stages. First, glue in the pillars, the back pillar rests on the trigger guard and the action, so I can really torque it down. Front pillar is carefully inletted for depth and attached to the action with the screw. I use plastic tape to hold it in the stock. I wrap masking tape around the barrel so it bottoms out in the barrel channel. I have three points of contact, theory is that I don't put any strain on the action doing it this way. Second stage (in 8 hours), since the pillars are bedded I can use the stock screws to pull the whole thing together. I only worry about bedding material between the action and stock where the pillars are and the back of the recoil lug. I don't scrape much off. I leave as much material on the back pillar as possible and still have the trigger/sear work.

I am sorry.... for something so simple, I used a lot of words to describe it.

Bill

Basic Member

What about this stuff for bedding http://www.milliput.com/prod.htm it's an epoxy putty, dry rock hard.

newbie from gr, mi.

thomae

Not trying to be obtuse, but which 3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy in grey is it?
    From the 3M website: Here are the different grey epoxies: I just want to be sure I have the right one.

3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP110
    3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP110 is a flexible, two-part epoxy. 1:1 mix ratio, 10 minute work life and handling strength in 20 minutes. 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP110 has medium viscosity that allows for easy dispensing. Flexible bonds to a variety of materials such as, metals, ceramics, wood and many plastics. http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotch-weld...dgmk36qpz.html

3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP125
    (3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP125 is a flexible, gray, two-part epoxy. 1:1 mix ratio, 25 minute work life and handling strength in 2.5 hours.
    3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP125 has medium viscosity that allows for easy dispensing. Flexible bonds to a variety of materials such as, metals, glass, ceramics, wood and many plastics.)http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotch-weld...hr7chx6fc.html

3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP190
    3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP190 is a gray, two-part epoxy. 1:1 mix ratio, 90 minute work life and handling strength in 12 hours.
    3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP190 has medium viscosity that allows for easy dispensing. Bonds to a variety of materials such as, metals, ceramics, wood and many plastics. http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotch-weld...cxk9f4p0k.html

Thanks very much for your patience.

Team Savage

I didn't even know there was more than one. What I acquired was 3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive Tube Kit. 3501 B/A gray. This stuff could be very old.....but it worked for me.

The putty would be too stiff for my application. The discription says; [i]Milliput is an excellent adhesive and will bond any of the following to itself or to any of the others - wood, brick, cement, metals, concrete, plastics, glass etc, but note that [u]Milliput is not intended as a thin layer adhesive and should not be used where a paste, mucilage or thin glue is indicated.

Bill

Team Savage

I'll bet it is the same as DP 190, due to the work life and cure time.

Bill

thomae

bsekf,
    Thanks.
    You have provided specific and useful information.
    :)
    I appreciate it.
    All the best,
    Thomae

Team Savage

Thank you.

Bill