Thread: Savage B-Mag issues

Savage B-Mag issues

I have owned my B-Mag for about 8 months now and haven't had the best opportunities to shoot it until the past weekend, and let me just say, I am DISAPPOINTED... I have shot about 100 rounds through the gun and cleaned it probably 4 times during ownership. For the first 100 rounds, I wasn't too concerned with accuracy due to barrel break in, the short distance I was at, and the new scope. Well, I finally got out to the range for some extensive shooting at both 50 and 100 yards and my results are as follows:

1. Split Casings. 4 of the first 50 casings split, thus causing extracting issues with those 4 casings (and probably accuracy issues too)

2. Terrible accuracy, but not sure if it is ammo related or gun related at this point
    a. 2" spray at 50 yards (no real grouping, just kind of sporadic but all within a 2" square)
    b. 6"+ spray at 100 yards. 3 of them were touching at POA however, the other 20 or so were everywhere except my aim point...

3. Failure/difficulty to cycle new round. I found more often than not, I was having trouble feeding a new round. It seemed either A. the round was stuck in the magazine and pushing the bolt forward only pushed the tip of the bullet into the front wall of the magazine or B. the nose of the round would feed, but then I had extreme difficulty pushing the round the rest of the way into the barrel, almost as if the angle was too much for the round to feed in properly.

All I shot was 20 grain rounds because since purchasing the gun, 25 grain has not been seen in my area. So I shoot what I can buy. I have contacted Savage and Winchester about these issues, I will try to update this post as things progress. Anyone else have opinions/solutions?

First off WELCOME to the forum srbecker!

There are several post with owners of the B-mag having the same issues, me being one myself.
    I ended up sending mine back to Savage and after about a 3 month wait they sent me a new rifle.
    This one does not shot the 1.5 MOA as Savage claims it will....maybe at 25yrds but NOT 100yrds.
    To come to my guns defense, it has seemed to be getting better groups with 20gr then the 25.
    25gr is still at 4 to 5 MOA and the 20 has gotten 2.5 MOA at best.

Savage is offering a varmint barrel and I have read this gun is loads better then the sporter barrel.
    Also Boyds makes a stock for this that improves it accuracy I have read

Savage told me on the split brass that Winchester knows of the problem and is working on it.
    I understand that Hornady is coming out sometime next year with this round so we will see has the better round.

Good luck with yours...you will need it!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Basic Member
    Some of the earlier lots of ammo (Late 2013 into early 2014 )had issues with powder charge variation and bad cases. These issues will effect accuracy. Many of us started weighing each round and grouping similar weights to help with the powder charge variation. The newer lot numbers have improved from what I have experienced. I have also had better luck with the 25gr stuff in the skinny barrel BMag. You may also try putting a small piece of rubber between the barrel and stock giving slight upward pressure on the barrel. Place the rubber under the words Bmag on the barrel, it has worked for a few shooters.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice! I am hoping they allow me to pay the upgrade fee of $50 for the Heavy Barrel, hopefully eliminating my accuracy problems and then just allow me to deal with Winchester on the split casings side. As far as the Boyds stock goes, this gun is already in a boyds stock. I will look into the rubber fix as well as a few others, but figured I would contact savage first in hopes of getting a better rifle before I need to mess around with this one, wasting ammo and time in the process...

Basic Member
    Go for the upgrade if the allow it, my heavy barrel is 10x more accurate then the original.

djames6487

second the upgrade

I just got a ss heavy barrel bmag and I love it!! One split casing. No cycling issues. Got it sighted in with my nikon 4.5-14 buckmasters today. I shot several .5" three shot groups with it and couldnt be happier