Thread: First Shots With New 6.5 Grendel Savage Bolt Action Build ;- )

wlleven

First Shots With New 6.5 Grendel Savage Bolt Action Build ;- )

Well the Grendel shot great. The head space issue is over as far as I'm concerned. Talked to reloaders on the range today and most of them head space on their brass, they say that way they know it is spaced right for their cases in that particular rifle. I'm thinking the gauges may be on the large side as the Grendel was intended to be used in an AR, just an assumption. Cases extracted perfectly and no signs of pressure or ?, primers showed no signs of pressure either.

After bore sighting at this target at 50yds the very first shot was low and to the left in the black that you can see. I then followed the bullet hole back to the center of the bulls eye as best I could and set out to see if she would group ... what you see is a 3 shot group that measures .185 according to my calipers, I'm stoked.

Ammo was factory Hornady A-Max 123 gr fodder. No scrubbing of the bore or anything was done, I did run a patch before shooting through it just to get out any particles, or ? that might have been in the bore after manufacture.

The stock was Boyd s Tacticool that I just tightened down in steps but did not use a torque screwdriver, the screws are down hand tight using a small Brownell's handle of their gunsmithing screw driver set.

Scope is a Primary Arms 4x14 FFP

Barrel is a 28 " Douglas 7W contour, 1/8 twist McGowen.

Velocity average was ~2585

Going to another range tomorrow to go after a gong or two.

wll

That's nice. I really want to get one of these set up in a short light weight coyote rig.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    That's nice. I really want to get one of these set up in a short light weight coyote rig.
    Stomp, I got to tell you it is quite the efficient cartridge.

I'm looking for a short action to convert to a walk around gun.

I will set it up with a 20-21 inch barrel, threaded, medium varmint weight. I will put it in the Hog Hunter stock I have as an extra that I bought off a fellow forum member.

Not sure of the scope I would use, but it would be designed for a carry gun to take game in the hog, deer antelope class, without a lot of recoil.

The 6.5 Grendel is a very nice round for sure !

wll

Basic Member
    The more I read about the Grendel, the more intrigued I am by it.

If you haven't seen it already, there is a reloading manual for the 6.5 Grendel with lots of information, including why the SAAMI chamber is the way it is:

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook.

We should also see an announcement of a second volume dedicated to hunting with the Grendel. This is a far more extensive manual with discussions of why the 6.5 caliber is almost unique (history plays a role!), sights useful for the Grendel, why shorter barrels are useful (lot's folks use 16" and 18" barreled Grendels), gel tests to verify performance of selected hunting bullets, recommended bullets for various types of game, an excellent summary of reloading tips for the AR, and, of course, a whole pile of reloading data.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    If you haven't seen it already, there is a reloading manual for the 6.5 Grendel with lots of information, including why the SAAMI chamber is the way it is:

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook.

We should also see an announcement of a second volume dedicated to hunting with the Grendel. This is a far more extensive manual with discussions of why the 6.5 caliber is almost unique (history plays a role!), sights useful for the Grendel, why shorter barrels are useful (lot's folks use 16" and 18" barreled Grendels), gel tests to verify performance of selected hunting bullets, recommended bullets for various types of game, an excellent summary of reloading tips for the AR, and, of course, a whole pile of reloading data.
    Yes I have that reloading manual and I thank you, Paul and Greg for putting the hard work in getting this manual together.

I read that section on SAAMI chamber specs with great interest I might add. Even though my gun is set up as a bench gun, I will be building another like I mentioned.

Looking forward to Volume 2.

Thank you.

wll

Basic Member
    I've been considering building a walking grendel for some time now as well. Who's bolt face did you use? Also, does it feed well from the magazine? Which magazine box did you use, 223 or 308?

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackdriver View Post
    I've been considering building a walking grendel for some time now as well. Who's bolt face did you use? Also, does it feed well from the magazine? Which magazine box did you use, 223 or 308?
    It is a closed magazine. I got all the parts from Savage, including the bolt face. The parts for the bolt face I purchased from Gun Shack I believe.

I use it as a single shot bench gun and have not tried loading the magazine. The follower is .223 but the magazine itself is made for the 7.62x39 and is used for the Grendel.

wll