Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Son's new F/TR rig for next year

Basic Member

Son's new F/TR rig for next year

My son started shooting 1,000 yard F/TR last year at 14. Did pretty well for his age and using a rifle and scope we just had in the safe. It was not the best choice for F/TR but it's what we had. Using a Savage 10 BA and a 25X scope, his 2nd time out he shot a 522 and had a few relays in the 180's. I told him if he stuck with it, we might get something a little better for the job.

So we are starting this year off a little better prepared. Got him a Savage 12 Benchrest rifle and Nightforce NXS 12-42X. Only took this rifle out twice now but it appears it's going to be good. Just need to find out what COAL it likes and get a cheek rest.

He looks happy!

Last edited by Tempest; 03-04-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Rifle

Basic Member
    Great son and nice rig too. Good luck for the upcoming season; keep us posted on his progress.

Basic Member
    thats awesome!!! good job! you're not in the market to adopt are you? 0:-) definitely keep us posted on how he evolves
    couple of savages

Basic Member
    way to go, good luck

stangfish
    Lucky boy.

Adopt me?

ShawneeB
    Very nice setup. Best of luck to your son.

SSBotanyBay
    I'm an adult and wish that I had that kinda glass on my rifle!

Basic Member
    Thanks.

Since I load his ammo, I get to shoot it to test loads of course! :)

steepdiver
    Really good to see new blood in the shooting sports. Nurture him well and best of luck to him.

TheTomcat
    Very nice. He's a lucky boy!

Love to see them starting out young and doing it right! Good job sir!

Basic Member
    Thanks again. Had planned on 1,000 yard match last weekend but had an equipment glitch posted in another section. Ordered new base and will try next match.

On a positive note, we did find what load it likes and he did a fantastic job at 500 yards. Looking forward to 1st match w/ this rifle.

Basic Member
    best of luck to both of you. i have an old friend, "most actualy are old" who was a very active shooter at williamsport for many years.
    he used a lefty savage action on his gun back when "savage" would get you stared at. none the less he won the year end aggregate
    award there twice and has been the only one ever to do so. best average group size of the year in at least 6 of the 10 matches to qualify.
    later his teenage son while still in high school also won the award. the icing on the cake was that it came down to the last match before
    being settled. greg was tied with a guy by name of earl chronister who held the 10 shot world record. earl had a bad day and greg had a
    good one and won the award. i believe he might be the youngest ever to have done so there till this day.
    another young man in his teen years also won that award there with a savage lefty action gun.
    maybe a little inspiration for you son.

Basic Member
    Little update. We missed the 1st 1,000 but attended the next 600. Real tricky winds that day, but he did good for his age.

He won high score Jr F/TR and I think was around 10th overall. He shot a 546-9X, beat me and my buddy.

Got the new base installed and took it for some 1,000 yard testing last weekend. Did not get a chance to do much testing (only 10 rounds) but he had some solid hits that would have been in the 10 ring. Looking forward to next match.

Target cams are fun! :)

Slapp
    I just got the same rifle in 308, also have a 12-42x56 Nightforce mounted on a EGW 20moa rail with Badger 30mm med high rings. However; mine came with two cheek rests, a high and a low along with 2 extension pieces for the butt stock. If you did not recieve these items I would check with the seller or contact Savage to find out why?

Basic Member
    sweet rig!!!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapp View Post
    I just got the same rifle in 308, also have a 12-42x56 Nightforce mounted on a EGW 20moa rail with Badger 30mm med high rings. However; mine came with two cheek rests, a high and a low along with 2 extension pieces for the butt stock. If you did not recieve these items I would check with the seller or contact Savage to find out why?
    I hope you have better luck than I did w/ the scope being centered for internal travel. Mine was not, I probably should have sent it back but I've had bad luck sending things in for repair. Anyway, a 20 MOA base was not enough for 1,000 yards. I needed a 30. The NXS 42 has the least amount of travel. Many other have had this same issue. It's fine now but just an FYI.

Slapp
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    I hope you have better luck than I did w/ the scope being centered for internal travel. Mine was not, I probably should have sent it back but I've had bad luck sending things in for repair. Anyway, a 20 MOA base was not enough for 1,000 yards. I needed a 30. The NXS 42 has the least amount of travel. Many other have had this same issue. It's fine now but just an FYI.
    I am new to this type shooting (normally participate in two gun shoots, AR and pistol) so help me out a little. What do you mean by "centered for internal travel"? I have not shot it yet as the rings have not arrived yet (hopping they will be on the porch when I get home today). If rings are their then will shoot it Sunday, if not their then will shoot it next weekend.
    This rifle to start with will be used out to max 800 yards for now, as that is the longest range available to me at this time. will the 20 moa rail be good or should I get a 30 moa rail right off the bat and not worry?

Basic Member
    They are people that are far more experts on this but here is my take:

The scope should have closer to as much elevation up/down when zeroed at close distance. That would be an ideal situation. At 100 yard zero mine more had a lot more down than up. This was an issue for getting 1,000 yard zero even w/ a 20 MOA base. Not saying this is the case on all of them, just mine.

Im curious......what,s the price tag on the target cam?
    "that" needs to be my next investment
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Im curious......what,s the price tag on the target cam?
    "that" needs to be my next investment
    No idea, the club owns it and you make an appointment to use it when you shoot the 1,000 yard range.

Tempest........What caliber is that model 12....and...how,d you install the harris bypod on that f class stock?
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Tempest........What caliber is that model 12....and...how,d you install the harris bypod on that f class stock?

It's a .308 12 Benchrest. It had a standard sling/swivel stud. Bought it used, not sure if it came that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    It's a .308 12 Benchrest. It had a standard sling/swivel stud. Bought it used, not sure if it came that way.
    thats awesum!...Ive been debating getting a model 12 but im just not crazy having to retool for another caliber. I have a model 10 FCP 5R Mil Spec 11;25 twist with an HS precision in 308 and Im sending 150gr SMK,s out to 1K and keeping up with 6.5 and 7-08 boys easily.
    If I could get ahold of the 6.5/6.5 creed/260rem/7-08 brass cheaper, Id of already gone with one of those calibers. Im sure Ill dive into another at some point....but to me....the lighter 308,s have proven themsleves thru that 5R barrel.
    What bullet/propellant are you using?
    {John Wayne}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast