Thread: Savage XLR .260 and .308 MDT LSS

Basic Member

Savage XLR .260 and .308 MDT LSS

This is my newly minted .260 Remington long range rig. Savage varmint action, lug and nut from NSS, Shilen 24" 1:8 twist Varmint barrel, XLR Evolution Chassis, Vortex 6-24 PST, AD Recon mount, Glade Armory bolt handle, PTG bolt head, Triad Tactical stock pack, Atlas bipod.

LSS is shown wearing my 22-250 26" barrel which is not what will stay on it. It's too **** long. I have an 18" .308 barrel waiting to paint.

XLR and Action wears Magpul OD Green Cerakote. Barrel, nut and lug in Graphite Black.

MDT LSS, buffer tube Action in Metallic Sand Cerakote - Barrel, nut and lug

Wildboarem
    Those are beauties!!

Basic Member
    I keep thinking harder and harder about one of those chassis.

I wanna see the MDT LSS with 18" tube.."

Basic Member
    Which butt stock is on the MDT LSS ? how much was it?

Basic Member
    I'll post the 18" tube tonight after I get it out of the oven. That is a Magpul CTR with the 1/2" riser. How much was the LSS? $399 plus $25 for the fixed stock adapter if you go that route.

Basic Member
    It was the Magpul CTR that I was wondering what it was and how much. I send MDT a email yesterday seeing if they are going to run some lefties. They said if they get enough orders next year they are planning on it. So I may end up rounding up some mags and the buttstock in the mean time. I really want two of these. I will just have to work some feedlips for the 22-250

What's the barrel length on the LSS chassis?

When will the pic of the shorter tube be up?

Southern Mex
    They look awesome. I am waiting for action and CBI barrel from NSS to show up myself. I have a Mcree chassis and Bushnell HDMR Waiting for the rest to complete my project. I went with 6.5 Creed. Again, good looking boomsticks.

jc5420
    How do you like the MDT LSS vs the XLR, I have had a few XLRs but have wondered if my next purchase would be the newer XLR Carbon or the MDT LSS.

+1 on interested in your impressions of the MDT LSS vs the XLR and other chassis systems.

I've got a Stevens 200 that I got a while back with the intent of using for a general purpose shop 'mule' or test rifle, and/or whacking the occasional 'yote For one reason or another, I've never gotten around to deciding what to restock it with, and the MDT LSS looks pretty light weight, even with having to add a butt stock, etc.

Pretty much all my experience with AR stocks has been stock A2, stock 6-position carbine, and one custom adjustable Match Rifle stock. How is the cheek weld when using an AR stock on a bolt gun, when the cheek piece has to be way back to allow clearance for the charging handle?

Are the MDT LSS pics @ the beginning of the thread with the 26" barrel, or the 18"?

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    Are the MDT LSS pics @ the beginning of the thread with the 26" barrel, or the 18"?
    Gotta be the 26.

Another question for the OP... how much does the finished chassis - with buffer tube, Magpul CTR butt stock, cheek piece riser, pistol grip, but without bipod, magazine, scope or barreled action - actually weigh? The weight listed on the MDT site (1.6 lbs) looks like it is for the 'bare' chassis as purchased.

Ogremccloud
    Great looking rifles.
    i have an xlr carbon and love it but that MDT LSS is looking real nice for a long action build

What's the weight of the complete gun with the LSS chassis

Basic Member
    i have a savage 260 in an xlr element, would love to know how you think the mdt lss compares to the xlr.