Thread: Is the B-Mag the future?

Cycler

Is the B-Mag the future?

I recall reading a gun rag write up on the B-mag and the author implied that the B-mag action was the new design that will be used on all Savage rimfires in the future. Anyone have any confirming information?

Eric Mayer
    That's what I was told at the SHOT Show last January.

Eric

Cycler
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
    That's what I was told at the SHOT Show last January.

Eric
    Great, thanks for the reply. I hope they make a left-handed version.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    Great, thanks for the reply. I hope they make a left-handed version.
    I'm kinda waiting on that too. I keep wanting an 17 but keep waiting on the b mag.

n4ue
    Just wanted to say (not trying to be negative) is that you can close the bolt (almost) with the bolt not all the way forward. Kinda messes up the stock. Also, preferred the Glades Armory replacement bolt handle for added leverage, but had to 'bend' it forward, otherwise the handle is in the way of the trigger.....
    What can I say.....

ron

If it is I won't be buying any new Savage rimfires for awhile. lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I agree. If this is the future I am done with Savage. I looked at a brand new BMag at the local gun store Saturday and gagged.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

stangfish
    The future is now!

Basic Member
    The new design needs some refinement for sure.

Basic Member
    just thinking out loud....could you rechamber a HMR to a WSM?? then you could still get a 93...17

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    just thinking out loud....could you rechamber a HMR to a WSM?? then you could still get a 93...17
    I am sure the barrel could be rechambered, but not sure on what you would have to do to the boltface if it could be adapted or not. Also I would assume (just assuming now mind you) that the 17 WSM runs at higher pressures than anything the 93 was built for so the question would then be can the 93 handle those pressure levels?
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

ejk24
    If that's the future of their rimfire line Savage had better upgrade to some better materials and machining than what they have done with the current B Mag design to equal the quality of the current Mark II and 93 series . I have learned to live with the out dated magazines on my current Mark II's but the rest of the gun is solid .

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Nope! Absolutely, positively, without a doubt and unequivocally no!

A Mark I/II/93R simply isn't designed for the higher pressure of this new round, and the firing pin assembly can't be modified in any way to ignite the WSM case due to it's much thicker rim. Even if you could somehow manage to finagle a heavy enough firing pin spring into the bolt assembly, the end result would be a bolt that's so darn stiff you'd need a prybar to open/cock the bolt. And then there's the length issue - just looking at it I doubt the Mark I/II/93R has the length in the action to allow for the 17 WSM.

This is why Savage had to design an all new gun specifically for this all new cartridge - because it simply wasn't compatible with anything that currently existed. This is also why you haven't seen anyone else come out with a rifle in 17 WSM yet - they too need to design an all new gun and they weren't on the inside track working on their design with Ohlin-Winchester several years in advance like Savage was so now they have to play catch-up.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post

A Mark I/II/93R simply isn't designed for the higher pressure of this new round, and the firing pin assembly can't be modified in any way to ignite the WSM case due to it's much thicker rim. Even if you could somehow manage to finagle a heavy enough firing pin spring into the bolt assembly, the end result would be a bolt that's so darn stiff you'd need a prybar to open/cock the bolt. And then there's the length issue - just looking at it I doubt the Mark I/II/93R has the length in the action to allow for the 17 WSM.

This is why Savage had to design an all new gun specifically for this all new cartridge - because it simply wasn't compatible with anything that currently existed. This is also why you haven't seen anyone else come out with a rifle in 17 WSM yet - they too need to design an all new gun and they weren't on the inside track working on their design with Ohlin-Winchester several years in advance like Savage was so now they have to play catch-up.
    well soo much for that idea!! Hey savage lefty bmag!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post

Kinda what I figured. To get the speed up they upped the pressure. Totally spaced off the firing pin bit, working with centerfires almost exclusively I never think about the offset firing pin.

If the B-Mag is anything like the model 25 WV's were coming right out of the gate, Savage better step up the quality a touch.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

greybeard43
    It seems to me that the work has already been done. If you want that kind of performance, get a .17 centerfire. To cobble together a rifle to handle a cartridge that hasn't proven itself is IMHOP kind of stupid. I love my 93r. If I want another .17 (which I don't) then I would probably go with the .17 hornet. It can be reloaded and just about any short action can be fitted to a barrel chambered for it. My .223 is my step up from my .17 hmr.