Thread: Bolt assy screw

Basic Member

Bolt assy screw

Some bolts can be assembled, BAS started, with the pin in the cocked position. I have a bolt that must have the BAS started with the pin in the uncocked position, then the pin hooked on a corner and pulled into the cocked position, then the BAS screwed in tight.
    This with the firing pin protrusion correct AND the pin JUST free to revolve in the uncocked position.
    My question is: Is there any way to get this bolt so the BAS starts with the pin in the cocked position?

I just put the whole bolt in a vice and use a cordless drill, that way all your force is concentrated on pushing the bolt into the body of the bolt, and not turning the fastener.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

82boy
    Why not have it un-cocked, start the bolt in a couple of threads, and then cock It when it is easy, and then screw the bolt all the way down?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    Why not have it un-cocked, start the bolt in a couple of threads, and then cock It when it is easy, and then screw the bolt all the way down?
    This.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    This.
    That!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I start the screw, then put the pin on my press and put it in the cocked position. With the screw just started, 1-2 threads, it takes a LOT of force to put the pin in cocked position.
    Some write of pushing the pin to cocked with thumb or wood dowel or ??; ain't happening with my bolt.
    Thus the question.
    joe b.

Put it in the rifle, push it forward after you feel resistance, and slide the pin over into the cocked position. I use a piece of wedge shaped plastic from a fallers wedge on the ones that are tough to cock.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by joeb33050 View Post
    I start the screw, then put the pin on my press and put it in the cocked position. With the screw just started, 1-2 threads, it takes a LOT of force to put the pin in cocked position.
    Some write of pushing the pin to cocked with thumb or wood dowel or ??; ain't happening with my bolt.
    Thus the question.
    joe b.
    Do you have a bolt lift kit in this?

doverpack12
    If you have a bolt that uses the 1/4" allen you have to tighten the BAS then rotate to the cocked position. Reason being the back end of the firing pin sticks out through the 1/4" allen hole and is almost flush with the back when tightened.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by doverpack12 View Post
    If you have a bolt that uses the 1/4" allen you have to tighten the BAS then rotate to the cocked position. Reason being the back end of the firing pin sticks out through the 1/4" allen hole and is almost flush with the back when tightened.
    In that situation, here is one technique that has worked for me:
    1. Put the BAS in and tighten it one or two turns, just enough to keep it on.
    2. Put the bolt into the action and, after making sure it is not loaded and is pointed in a safe direction, pull the trigger to dry fire/release the firing pin from the cocked position.
    3. Now, with the bolt still in the rifle, tighten the BAS the rest of the way. Don't tighten against the action, but hold on to the bolt handle to provide the opposing force when tightening.