Thread: New to coyote hunting

Basic Member

New to coyote hunting

Hey guys I'm just getting into predator hunting and I was just wondering if you guys had any tips for a beginner. I'm hunting in Southeast Iowa where it is pretty flat. I bought a cottontail distress call and that's it so far. Any advice you guys can give would be great.

Basic Member
    Sun to your back, wind in your face, get in a position that breaks up your outline. Blow on the call, and when they come in, shoot 'um.
    They all won't be text book stands and you will make mistakes, but you will get experience.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Have some more tricks up your sleeve than a cottontail distress. Don't be afraid to bark like a dog to get their attention, or get them coming back to you if they stray off. Learn how to do a coyote challenge call, and watch lots of YouTube videos. If you hunt in densely covered areas, a shotgun backup with #4's in it works good if they get too close. Be patient, sometimes 5 minutes is all it takes, other times it can be 1/2 hour before they finally come to the call. Keep an eye on your six, they'll come in from behind you occasionally.
    After the kill, be aware that some are covered with ticks. Varmintal.com has lots of information, and some good ideas for electronic calling and he also has a lot of files you can download to an MP3 player if your state allows electronic calling. His el-cheapo electronic caller is what I use, I love it.

I found this info awhile back, hope it helps with your strategy:

COYOTE CALANDER:
    January: coyotes are looking for mates

February: is apparently Valentines for coyotes and the mating cycle begins

March: they are breaking up and search for areas with food
    late April/early May: pups are being born

June: Mom & Dad coyote are constantly in search of food for the growing pups

July: Coyotes will be coming out in the early hours and seeking shade, water and become more nocturnal. Target water sources.

Aug: They for some reason switch from all-meat diets and turn omnivore...Coyotes love to raid gardens.

Sept: Pups start to leave the dens. You can call in adults using a pup in distress--even during daylight hours.

Oct: Use cottontails and jack rabbits

November: use crows, jays and magpies (birds that would follow after a coyote hoping for a meal); crow decoys

December: they hunt more in packs, so they will fight more for dominance. Use fighting calls w/ our distress calls and they'll run to get to the fight.
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision

That's some good info, I hadn't seen that before.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the great information guys. I need to go and buy a few more calls or maybe just break down and buy a electronic caller. I just don't know about spending all that money yet on something I'm just trying for the first time.

Basic Member
    Excellent info

Basic Member
    Need to hear from 5spd....he hammers them out west.

mazda3gun
    I too, am new to coyote hunting and that was great info! Now, once the weather stops sucking, I'll see if I can't bag a few to leave my deer alone next season. After all, gotta have something to do between whitetails and fishing.