Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Edge (New info)

wkt60

Savage Edge (New info)

Several of the new Savage Edge models listed on Gunbroker for $275.00 with DBMs including .223.
    Is there some more info on this model somewhere? have they changed anything on the action? Barrel twist?
    Didn't see anything on the Savage sight.
    Looks like a Stevens with a different stock & DBM setup?

thanks

New info:
    I called Savage today & spoke with tech support
    Savage EDGE ( started shipping March 1st, no info on availability) to be positioned between the Stevens & Accutrigger Savages.

1. New design, MACHINED receiver ( I asked twice)
    2. New Bolt
    3. New Trigger
    4. DBM (plastic)
    5. New stock

6. 223 1-9 twist
    7. 243 1-9 1/4
    8. 25-06 1-12
    9. 7mm-08 1-11
    10. 308 1-10

Sorry I didn't get more technical info,there's a lot of you out there much more qualified than I to ask the Techie questions
    but at least I got some entry level info.
    So here we go again with a new design with no aftermarket support.... hopefully following soon.
    Hope this helps, now should I order one?

Basic Member

Re: Savage Edge

I saw these also. Anybody know anything about them?

Song Dog

I could do a 243 in one of those. I would like to know more, so I know when to buy ;D

In Christ,

Song Dog

Basic Member

Like wkt60 said they are selling them for $275. They have dbm, 22" barrel, a different looking stock and come in .223, 22-250 and .243 caliber.

jo191145

On the plus side they have a barrel nut.
    The actions sure are different. Is that a Sav long action? I have all shorts so can't compare.
    They're definately not your standard short 12 series actions.

I described the one I handled the best I could in another thread. Looks ok, definitely cheap.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    I described the one I handled the best I could in another thread. Looks ok, definitely cheap.
    Just read that post. Definetly looks cheap to me also. Wouldn't you think that Savage would add info about this to their website?

this would be a first. most company's have things advertised 2 years before it hits the market, if it ever dose.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Re: Savage Edge (New info)

Maybe they are trying to compete wtih the the Marlin and the cheap line of Remingtons. I thought they already had them beat with the Stephens 200. The "Edge" may leave a bad taste in the mouths of first time Savage buyers, if the quality is lacking.

TheShootist1894

1. New design, MACHINED receiver ( I asked twice)

Are you implying that they don't MACHINE all their receivers? ??? Do ya suppose they use their magic wand on the other Manufacturing?? ::)

They can in NO WAY be as craptastic as the 710 or 770 Line. . . . ..At least we know the barrels will be of the same quality as their other factory tubes, as I am sure they are made the same. . .

Anyone have more info on the bolt??

wkt60, are you certain they told you the .25-06 (#8.) will have a 1:12 twist rate? My 112
    is 1:10, and any .25-06 I can find, either Savage or Stevens, on their web page has a
    twist rate of 1:10. It would be rather nutz of them to make a twist rate that wouldn't
    stabilize anything more than 85-90gr. Wouldn't make sense........but then, they did change
    it for the worse on the 7mm-08.

wkt60

1. On the MACHINED statement someone had said that possibly the receivers were cast,I asked if they were cast & the tech rep said no,machined.
    ( possibly my lack of understanding of manufacturing process???)

2. I wrote down 1-12 on the 25-06 twist rate,I don't shoot 25-06 so maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Thanks

The difference would be "Forged" "Cast" or "machined from billet, bar or tube". So I'm guessing the correct answer would be machined from tube or bar.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

they tried casting in the 70s. it didn't work for them. nothing new about machining them.
    the big thing is they have changed the fire control system to something that they can make cheaper.
    May be a while before some one makes a target trigger for them.
    currently it will be a hunting rifle, not something we will be making our target guns out of, if ever.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

SavEdge.308

Does anyone know if they make a heavy barrel for the savage edge in .308?

They can use the same barrel as a 110.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Schweet! ;D
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

SavEdge.308

so your telling me that if i order a 110 .308 heavy barrel it will fit the edge and its stock????

You might need to open up the barrel channel but yes, it will fit.

The edge uses the same threads and chamber dimensions as all the other actions. You just won't be able to spin on any magnum barrels.

degummj

The Savage Edge is a rifled designed to get as much of the cost out while still providing a good value rifle. What is listed is what will be. Four models, Edge, Edge XP, Edge Camo, and Edge XP Camo. The Scope is a Bushnell Sharpshooter, definately low end, but the mounts are Kwik Site and are good.
    I was a firearms inspector at the NRA Convention and spent a lot of time in the exhibit hall. I asked three Savage reps each three questions:
    1. What is the Edge? Where does it fit in the lineup?
    The Edge is a completely redesigned rifle with a emphasis on getting as much as the cost out as possible while still producing a Savage rifle in the USA. They got all their engineers and suppliers together and figured out how to reduce manufacturing costs as much as possible. All of the parts are the same from the smallest caliber to the largest except the bolt face and the barrel. It uses the floating bolt design as well as a very simple, non adjustable (see my post on Savage Edge Triggers on how to make it adjustable) trigger and the same magazine except for a block to take up room for the smaller cartridges. I still don't know what the metal finish is, but it is very durable and can take summer heat and humidity with no problems. It is the new value rifle in the lineup.
    2. So, it must be getting the culls of the barrels.
    Definitely not. Savage only builds barrels to one quality level, the best they can. The next barrel on the line may be going on our most expensive rifle. (This was proven out this summer as my edge in .223 has a .25" group at 100 yards using Sierra MatchKing 69gn HPBT, 25.1gn of Varget in a Hornady case with a CCI Small Pistol Magnum primer)
    3.What about the Stevens line?
    The Edge will definitely eat into the Stevens line which may be for speciality guns in the future.

For my money the Edge is definitely a shooter and well worth the price once you tame the trigger.

Did I read that load data right "CCI small pistol magnum primer"? I've never heard of using a pistol primer in a full house rifle load, can you elaborate on that?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

degummj

The small pistol primer is the same diameter and size as the small rifle primer. One difference is the thickness or softness of the brass in the primer cup. The small pistol is supposed to be a bit softer than the rifle primer because the pistol firing pin supposedly doesn't hit the primer as hard, as the rifle does. The rifle primer is designed to withstand higher pressures than the pistol primer is.
    Magnum primers are a bit hotter than standard primers because magnum loads generally contain more powder and need a bigger flame to get them going. Now the 5.56 military cartridge uses a hotter primer to insure ignition.

So much for the theory. In reality, there really isn't much difference between a small pistol and rifle primer. I know reloaders who routinely use small rifle primers in pistol loads and small pistol primers in rifle loads. It really doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I had the small pistol magnum primers hanging around and wanted to reload some .223 ammo. So I thought I would give them a try. I did some research on the net and talked to some of the more experienced reloaders at the range. All told me basically what I related above. Now in practical experience I have reloaded about 400 rounds of CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum primers in .223 Remington and have had only one problem to date. On one round, and not the hottest, but more a medium load, the primer case had a very small rupture at the tip of the firing pin and allowed a small curl of smoke to come out of the back of the cartridge. The hole was extremely small, just a tiny pin prick when held up to the light. Probably just a manufacturing defect in the cup was the opinion of one of the most experienced reloaders I know. It happens once in a while. No problem.

When I've used up these primers I will start using Wolf small rifle primers/5.56 in my .223 and pistol loads. I got them for $30 per 1000, tax included.

jo191145

degummj

I would totally disagree with your expierienced friends.
    You do NOT use pistol primers in a modern rifle cartridge!!!
    You may be getting away with it with a moderate load of Varget.
    That popped primer is not a defect. Its telling you your doing something wrong.

hotbrass

I thought I read that the depth dimension on primers was different between rifle and pistol primers. The diameters are the same but the rifle primers cup is deeper. ??? I could be wrong.

hailstone

There are rules and then there are rules but sometimes not hard and fast rules. Years ago my brother and I loaded 222 Remington loads with pistol primers for years because that was all we had in the fifties and sixties. Never had any problems. I've always used small pistol primers in my 22 Hornet loads because they perform more uniformily than rifle primers. Speer recommends using the small pistol primers when reloading 22 Hornet shells in the 14th edition of there reloading manual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast