Thread: Any one else with feeding problems?

BigDog

Any one else with feeding problems?

I have a new center feed Savage 11BTH in a 204. It feeds 39 grain Sierra Blitzkings just fine but it will not feed Varmint Grenades or 40 grain Bergers at all. It hits the edge of the barrel just low and to the right of the opening of the chamber. Do others have this problem and what can be done to correct it? It is frustrating when trying to try something new, work up some loads and have to hand feed each round. Takes all the fun out of it. ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Member

Re: Any one else with feeding problems?

I tried loading the VGs in my 12 BTCSS, and had to single load them because of the same problem you have. They shot great, but the 39 blitzkings shot better, so I just gave up on the VGs. I am guessing loading them out longer would help, but pretty new to this so I am not sure.

Dirk

"Anyone else with a feeding problem?"

Yeah. Sometimes my female cat is picky about what she eats, but my male cat will eat anything you put in front of him! ;D

Basic Member

Dirk, the .204 with 39gr Blitzkings will fix your problem nicely!!

Quote Originally Posted by say what
    ;D ya gonna put dirk out of our misery?
    :D
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Dirk

I hope not!

joed

My 10fp in .223 has a difficult time feeding ammo too. Savage makes a nice rifle but I've seen to many of them that just won't feed a cartridge.

Don - LongRangeSupply

One of my 204s feeds like a dream the other is horrible. I need to figure out why..............

davemuzz

This may (and I say "May") help you. Last summer I re-barreled a Stevens 200 with a 17 Fireball chambered barrel. Now, in addition to the barrel, I wanted a detachable magazine so I could load and unload the gun easy.....because this rifle would be used for hunting fox at night....and who wants to fumble with a blind mag in the dark?

Well, I cut the bottom out of the tupperware Stevens stock, and I bought a CZ detachable .221 Fireball mag. (the .221 Fireball is the same as the .17 Fireball except for the bullet size).

So....how does this help you? (Yeah....I know your askin). Well, I had the same issues initially that your having. The bullet would "hit" the barrel to the right and just a bit low.

The magic answer is in the feed lips. Actually, on my 17 Fireball, I had to extend the feed lips from the detachable mag so the cartridge would be in the barrel before it "popped" out of the mag. So, you have to take a pair of needle nose pliers AND VERY CAREFULLY tweek your feed lips (yeah....don't leave any burrs on 'em) so the cartridge will slide right into the barrel.

In addition......for those faint of heart....one other thing that I did was I took my trusty Dremmel (wait....don't pass out yet!!!) ... you gotta remove the action from the stock, and you gotta remove the mag from the action if you have a blind mag.....but take your Dremmel, and put one of those white soft fuzzy polishing gizmo's and put some Flitz on it and polish the lower part of the....well, on a 1911 it's the feed ramp, so let's just call it the same. I'm talking about the lower part of the action or that "round" part that the cartridges pass thru before they enter the barrel.

I also polish the feed lips (inside where the brass rides) of the magazine. It makes loading the cartridges a bit eaiser. Especially the top ones when the most pressure from the spring is on those.

Anyway....here is a pic of the "rough" 17 Fireball before I cleaned up the extended feed lips and polished stuff up. I hope this helps. Dave

[img width=600 height=401]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/MaginStock.jpg[/img]