I am not finding much info on the internet on the do-ability of this configuration. Does that mean this is a crazy idea?
It seemed like a pretty good one to me!

I'd like to do a switch barrel from .243 to 300 WSM on a Savage 4.275" short action.

I've read a 300 WSM can be run on a small shank no problem.

My concerns are as follows -

- SAAMI specs for the 300 WSM shows that I'd need a bolt head that would accommodate .535 in diameter as opposed to .532 for a magnum (.264, 7mm RM, .300 Win Mag, etc.).

The only bolt heads I can find for the WSM family is a CRF (Midway USA), which requires a blade ejector. That is a problem/no go.
I'd like to keep this rifle as a repeater.

That leaves me in the predicament of needing a WSM bolt head in a push feed configuration, OR, can a magnum bolt head (push feed) be altered to work with a WSM cartridge as the regular magnum cartridge is only 3/1000 smaller?

If so, the bolt head would likely be from a long action and have a longer stem.

- Question: Is the bolt head retaining pin the same distance from the lugs on a long action as it is on a short action bolt head?

If so, could the long action stem be machined to the short action length and be good-to-go?

OR, does anyone sell a WSM push feed bolt head for a short action Savage? That would be too easy right?

I understand I will need a longer magnum firing pin and a WSM magazine follower. Is there anything I'm overlooking?

I'll be checking back and I sure appreciate the help!

Thanks.