Thread: 270 Winchester

Pitweiler

270 Winchester

I have a 110, 30-06 that I am planning on upgrading. During all my planning I have contemplated re-barreling to 270 Winchester. Searching the internet and reading people's opinions, it seems many people don't think the 270 is good for anything more than whitetail deer. And similar species. I decided to do my own research and found many first hand reports and articles about the 270 being used for larger game than deer, elk, moose, black bear, etc...

When compared to .308 bullets the .277 bullets have higher BC's and higher sectional density. The only difference being the bullet weights. I don't know of any manufacturers that make a .277 bullet heavier than 150 grains. In Sweden, people use 6.5x55 regularly for moose hunting, so why would the 270 be inadequate? I don't understand why us Americans are so convinced we need a super ultra magnum to hunt anything other than deer.

Why do people constantly make statements like , "I don't recommend it, but so and so went on a moose hunt with a 270 and killed a huge bull..." Those same people will declare the 30-06 adequate for the task. When I look at basic velocity/ft lbs tables the 270 normally carries the same or more velocity and energy than the '06, with a similarly weighted bullet with a higher BC and a much greater SD. Someone explain to me why people make these declarations. I don't have a dog in this fight as I own a 30-06, not a 270.

LOL me and my cousin just had this discussion. He wanted to know why i chose the .270 over the 30-06. He was amazed when I broke out some ballistic tables and showed him the truth. My opinion is the 30-06 has the same fame of that of the 30-30. It is a family name, by that I mean grandad had one dad had one and so on. I love my lever action 30-30 but there is no way in hell I am going to use it if I know I may have shots over 100 yards. Will it kill deer further sure, but the drop on a hornady 150 gr. InterLock RN zeroed at 100 yards is -29.5" at 300 yards there is no data recorded on the table for 400 yards. Here in florida where there are very few shots available over 100 yards the 30-30 is fine, but in Kentucky hunting farmlands it is not up to the job.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

The 270 is the one I always recommend to people that ask me what I think is the best all around caliber. It really does everything well and will tackle anything in North America with proper bullet choice and shot placement. Factory ammo is easily found on the shelf just about anywhere and when handloaded the cartridge is even better. I know that berger is working on a heavy 160 grain for the 270 but its not availble yet and I think cutting edge bullets offers a 160 so there is a couple options for the heavier bullets. Personally I dont think it gets any better than a 130 classic hunter from berger at close to 3100 fps. With a bc of .497 only 34 points lower than the 150 this combo is really hard to beat.

Basic Member
    The 270 is an awesome round and now with the monolithic bullets such as Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX you can use the lighter 130gr bullets on elk and moose without worry of enough penitration and you still retain the velocity you love in the 270 staying with the 130gr.

Basic Member
    I have both calibers, and the terminal performance difference is just not discernible to me. The one thing I really like about my .270 is that it shoots the hand loaded 110 grain Hornady VMAX very, very well. In my area of the country, Central Texas, when I go hunting, I never know what might show up. Foxes, coyotes, bobcats. feral hogs or white tail deer. Hornady takes care of them all. When I move up to 130 grain bullets, the mule deer of West Texas and Colorado are well within the performance envelope. I've taken elk, one moose, and one black bear with the 150 grain bullets. With today's powder and bullet technology the way it is, the .270 Winchester is hard to beat!

The .270 is a fine caliber, and I am very familiar with it in the Browning BLR.

Those 160 gr partitions are good for just about any North American game when the bullet is well-placed.

The 150gr TSX should be even better for the larger animals.

Basic Member
    My neighbor took his 13 year old son and another boy hunting this fall. Both boys killed elk, a 4 pointer and 6 pointer plus 2 nice deer. Each animal was killed with 1 shot from a 270 rifle, a Remington and a Weatherby. I think that the ammo was 130 grain Federal Fusion in both rifles.

You had better ask those boys if a 270 is enough.

Regards, Keith

Basic Member
    The 270 is certainly enough. The 30/06 is certainly enough. Comparing a 30/06 to a 30/30 simply does not fly.

"Just Sayin" ;-)

I think you took my story out of context and I rambled a bit. I was simply saying that the 30-06 has gained it's fame the same way the 30-30 has yet the 30-30 very inferior to either when it comes to anything outside of 200 yards and for me that would be stretching it a bit at 200 yards. But the 30-30 is a very popular hunting rifle. At least in my hunting circles.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    I think you took my story out of context and I rambled a bit. I was simply saying that the 30-06 has gained it's fame the same way the 30-30 has yet the 30-30 very inferior to either when it comes to anything outside of 200 yards and for me that would be stretching it a bit at 200 yards. But the 30-30 is a very popular hunting rifle. At least in my hunting circles.
    +1 Well-Said!

emtrescue6
    I'll take my 270 with 140g Accubonds or 150g Partitions/Ballistic Tips anyday! I have taken Elk, Moose, Caribou, Pronghorn, Whitetail, Muley and Blacktail deer with it...I have a fair number of rifles in my safe in cals from 17 - 348 and hands down the 270 is the most versicle and my favorite...and it has a great deal less recoil than a -06. I have never, nor will I ever own or have use for an -06 as long as I have a 270.