Hello everyone. I just picked up a "new to me" but old-to-the-world Savage .22 bolt-action rifle. It's nothing like what I usually collect (grimy old milsurps). I probably paid too much for it but I fell in love with it, and wanted to do my part for the economy.....

I would like to learn more about it, as I've had some difficulty figuring out info about it from the web.

It is marked:

MANUFACTURED BY SAVAGE ARMS CORP. UTICA, N.Y. U.S.A.
PATENTED NOV. 28, 1905, SEP. 7, 1915, SEP. 4, 1917, NOV. 20, 1917

on the top of the barrel. Also on the top of the barrel, over the chamber, is:

........Long
22--
........Rifle

(only with no periods)

The serial number is printed around the anti-muzzle, so to speak (the area surrounding where the bolt slides in), and is 21326.

The bolt cocks on closing like an Enfield, and it has a box magazine.

The rifle has a heavy barrel, and appears to be in excellent mechanical condition, with the exception that (a) the rear peep sight has an obviously wrong spring installed in it, impairing its function, and (b) the front sight, which apparently consisted of two wire loops protecting an inserted sight post, has had the loops crushed down and the sight post insert itself is missing.

The sling is old and appears to be in a 1907 configuration but it has some decorative work and doesn't look GI.

I'd love to know what I've got and, especially, where I can find some replacement sights (if not exactly like those installed on the gun, then along those lines, both for historical coolness and because I really like peep sights). Hoping to make this my kid's first gun.

Many thanks!
Doug
p.s. sorry for all the carpet fuzz in some of the pictures - didn't notice at the time I took them.....