Thread: Building Another One!

Basic Member

Building Another One!

Since I started shooting the 6.5mm calibers,I have kinda forgot about all my .30 calibers. My 110 FLP 300 WM hasn't been shot in a long time,and I figured it would be a good donor action for a 6.5-06.
    I bought a new bolt head,magazine box and follower for it,and ordered a Boyds LH thumbhole stock. I ordered the stock unfinished since it is a center feed,and the action is staggered feed,plus I'll have to open up the barrel channel a bit for the new barrel.
    I ordered a McGowen Stainless-26"-1-8 twist-Shilen 5.5 contour-and having it bead blasted.
    This should make a very nice hunting rifle,and not weigh a ton like most of my other rifles.
    I received my Redding Type S bushing dies the other day,so I'll have plenty of brass formed and ready for it,when I get it all together. I'll leave the Sightron 6-24x50 LRMD scope on it also.

wlleven
    I'm still building my 6.5 Grendel and looking for another short action to build a short walk around gun. Will probably build another 6.5 Grendel but with a 21' medium contour and threaded.

Already have the Hog Hunter stock I will use, I have a plethora of scopes I can put on it ...it should be cool.

Now to find another short action ;: )

Good luck in your build, for me it is an adventure ;- )

wll

kimbajmann
    I built my 260 off a sav 12 and put a 26" shillen varmint contour on it and stuck it in a b&c medalist that I ground the forend down on. Topped it with a nightforce 5.5-22 with NP-1 ret. It rocks but weighs in at about 13-14lb depending upon if I carry it with bipod or not. I love the 6.5 as well as everything they hit dies and dies fast. I shot my mule deer at 200 yd this year with a nosler 140 gn accubond with a mv of 2855fps and it almost underexpanded due to huge sectional density. Deer was dead as heart shot, but did not know it for 30 yds. Point is 6.5 more than good enough for any north American game with correct bullet choice. deer and smaller barnes tsx or partition best and nosler boat tail is good - typically you want a rapidly expanding bullet due to exceptional pen on 6.5. For elk/ moose a bump up to 140 accubond or again the 140 partition or tsx or the gmx.

I Shote mule deer last year with the 129 grn sst with a frontal kneck shot and it entered the upper chest and exited spine with very little meat damage to the backstrap. I attribute the lack of expansion on the sst l;ast year and the accubond this year to the super penetration of the 6.5. I truly believe that a texas heart shot on deer with any 140 grn 6.5 will exit the chest.