Thread: RARE Model 1922 savage

dsherm

RARE Model 1922 savage

I am fairly certain that I have a rare model 1922 savage rimfire in my collection. I would be very appreciative if anyone knows anything about this particular model to help me confirm or deny this. It has the bolt of a model 19 and the stock of a model 23AA. It is serial numbered 3866 on the back end of the reciever where the bolt is inserted when putting it into the reciever. My gun also is checkered on the grip and forearm with an odd pattern, but done very nicely, don't know if this is factory or done by some one else. The clip is a model 19 style, and the butt plate has the Savage Indian Chief holding a rifle stamped into it. Some one has added military style sling swivels to this gun. Any help from any and all would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    dsherm
    dsherm59@hotmail.com

Basic Member
    I assume by you saying the gun has 'the bolt of a model 19' you mean an early 1919 NRA and that it has a double firing pin - the bolt of the Model 1919 NRA changed in 1924 to the same as the new 23-A Sporter. The target model was not listed as just Model 19 until years later and at that time they also went to a curved 'clip' magazine; I am again assuming yours is a straight 5 shot.

I do not consider the 1922 Sporters as being that rare. Serial numbers have been found as high as the 18,000's and I saw 8 of them sell on line over a 2 year period - but only two of those were listed correctly as 1922 Sporters. I think they are considered rare because they are so often miss-identified. I saw a really nice one at the last Tulsa show labeled as a 23-A. I had three 1922 Sporters at one time and currently have two and the barrel/receiver for another. According to Savage parts catalogs any Sporter with a serial number under 25,000 would be a 1922 - yours is very early.

I would think checkering could be ordered but it would have been a basic layout so from your limited description I would assume non-factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post

I do not consider the 1922 Sporters as being that rare.
    Same here, got 3 of them sitting in my safes as well.
    Savage- "never say never".

dsherm
    From the description I gave at the start of this thread does it sound like my gun is a model 22 ? Are there ways to confirm ? Can you give me a range in which the value of this gun would fall ?
    Thanks,
    dsherm

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
    I assume by you saying the gun has 'the bolt of a model 19' you mean an early 1919 NRA and that it has a double firing pin - the bolt of the Model 1919 NRA changed in 1924 to the same as the new 23-A Sporter. The target model was not listed as just Model 19 until years later and at that time they also went to a curved 'clip' magazine; I am again assuming yours is a straight 5 shot.

I do not consider the 1922 Sporters as being that rare. Serial numbers have been found as high as the 18,000's and I saw 8 of them sell on line over a 2 year period - but only two of those were listed correctly as 1922 Sporters. I think they are considered rare because they are so often miss-identified. I saw a really nice one at the last Tulsa show labeled as a 23-A. I had three 1922 Sporters at one time and currently have two and the barrel/receiver for another. According to Savage parts catalogs any Sporter with a serial number under 25,000 would be a 1922 - yours is very early.

I would think checkering could be ordered but it would have been a basic layout so from your limited description I would assume non-factory.
    Your serial number would indicate a 1922 Sporter - Savage jumped serial numbers to a round number & continued on when making major design changes - all 23-A Sporters would be over 25,000; there was another break point when they went to the 23-AA.