Thread: Article on .22-204

n4ue

Article on .22-204

Hi. A while back I was doing some rechambering work on a few extra Savage Axis bbls. I rechambered them to .221 Fireball. Fun little round and .223 AI. Needing something else to tinker with, I asked for suggestions on here.
    I already have several 22-250s and that would require a bolt face change anyway......

I asked about a .22-204, since I have a M12 .204R and lots of brass.
    Lo and behold, in the recent issue of Shooting Times, there is an article on the .22-204. Evidently, PTG has been making these reamers for a while...... duh!

So, my question is this:

What would be more 'fun', a .22-204 or a .22-204AI? I realize this isn't going to be anything special, but I do have some extra bbls....... This is just for fun.... It 'appears' the .22-204 is very similar to the .222 Mag......

ron

Basic Member
    22-204 AI would trip my trigger. I have wanted one of those for a while.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

n4ue
    Rooster, thanks for the reply....
    I did a bit of looking at case dimensions last night. It appears that the .22-204R is nothing more than a .222 Mag. I was looking to do something with my spare .223 bbls. Considering that the .222 Mag is not any faster than my .223 AI, this would be a waste of time and $. Just wanted to do something 'fun' with my .224" bbls and the .378" bolt face.....
    However, the .22-204 AI 'might' be worthwhile.
    A quick check of the reamers at PTG showed no such animal.
    I'll send them a note today to see if they have one.......

thanks again

ron

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    I did a bit of looking at case dimensions last night. It appears that the .22-204R is nothing more than a .222 Mag.

ron

Almost. A 222RM fire formed to 204R.

The 222RM's shoulder is moved forward to 30 degrees and the body taper reduced to .016", web to the top of the shoulder. The 204R is pretty much in the improved configuration as is.

I'm not sure what was changed in the improved version but in the spirit of weirdness...go for it!!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

n4ue
    Bill, thanks for the pix, it helps.....

So, if the .204R is a 20 cal .222 Mag 'Improved', I'm thinking that what I want is simply a .222 Mag AI. This way, I could use the .223 Rem bbls. All I might need, is the .222 Mag brass. I haven't checked, but I'll bet RCBS makes dies.
    I have a universal .22 CF neck die.

What do you think???

ron

dcloco
    If you search this website, you will find info on what you seek.

I built a 222 Magnum AI, using my 223 AI reamer and 204 Ruger brass. This rifle launches 80 gr AMax rather superbly in a 1:8 twist Shilen barrel.

If you search further, I also built "Super Duece". With the same 223 AI reamer, I went a little deeper, and a little deeper, and a little deeper (in the grand effort to increase case capacity of course) and ended up with a very long AI using 204 Ruger brass.

Why would I build such an animal? I wanted to hit the magic 3900+ fps with a 55 gr bullet in a 223/222 sized case. Thought it might spark a little interest on here...started a play by play article, stating that I would post updates on progress....and stopped doing this because of the negativity.

Did I reach the goal....... You have the reamer.....get busy. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Bill, thanks for the pix, it helps.....

So, if the .204R is a 20 cal .222 Mag 'Improved', I'm thinking that what I want is simply a .222 Mag AI. This way, I could use the .223 Rem bbls. All I might need, is the .222 Mag brass. I haven't checked, but I'll bet RCBS makes dies.
    I have a universal .22 CF neck die.

What do you think???

ron
    I gave up think'n when I retired 10 years ago!

The better 222RM certainly would be an option and an easy one to boot. Like any other "true" improved simply chamber and fire the parent.

CH4D has the 40 reamer if your too darn cheap to buy them like I am! http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayit...0&tname=rental

Dies? I can't say about the others, but Dave (CH4D) has/makes them as well as the 30 and 45 versions.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

n4ue
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I appreciate the non negative answers, and dcloco, THANKS for the thought about using the .223 AI reamer! Excellent!
    I was a little hesitant to buy the reamer, only because the ROI of the 22-204 didn't seem to be worth it. I have a bunch of 22 CFs.

I have a line on a 6.5 TCU bbl and may just go in that direction, since I have dies and bullets in that caliber. I was one of the first guys to buy a TC bbl (14") in 6.5 TCU when they first came out. Why? Because everyone was shooting 7 TCU...Just like being 'different'.. ha ha

thanks again.......

ron

Basic Member
    I have a 222 Remington Magnum Ackley Improved contender barrel. Its a nice little round and I would really like to rebarrel my Savage 204 to it. I currently use 223 AI dies to load for it.....haven't checked velocity on any of my loads yet though so I cant really tell you where I am at for FPS.
    Doug

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

n4ue
    Doug. Wow, from a TC? That's a bunch of powder to burn. I hope it's at least a 14"

Somewhat off topic, but I have a bunch of unusual TC bbls. .357 Super Mag, .357 Herrett, 6.5 TCU and one I have fun with...
    A 14" bbl chambered for .445 Supermag. I also have a SS Dan Wesson in that caliber. I have several friends that told me that "recoil don't bother me"...
    Well, shooting the .445 SM TC (with Pachmyer grips) using regular .44 Mag loads, results in a significant increase in recoil, over a Ruger Super Blackhawk or Super Redhawk. Shooting full house .445 SM loads in the TC is VERY un-fun. According to my chrono and calculations, it's equal ME as a .308.
    More than one person would not fire a second shot......
    I can't shoot any of this stuff anymore due to (guess what?) severe wrist damage........But it WAS fun. ha ha

ron

Basic Member
    My 222 RMAI is a 21" carbine barrel.

Also had a 444 Marlin 14" tender barrel....talk about fun it was so much fun someone else owns it now....I clocked 270gr at 1980fps in it
    Doug

KEN CO
    I had to laugh when I picked up a copy of that issue...What's the old saying about those who forget and history repeating itself...
    I had Mike Bellm re-chamber a 222 barrel for me many years ago. His web site has an in depth write up about the 222RMI(Remington Mag Improved) He worked for and trained under PO Ackerly and has all of his old machinery. The 222 RMI was great and I wish I had held onto that barrel.
    The 204 was based off the 222 Rem Mag so I'm not sure why all the gun writers are ignoring that part of history. I saw another article on necking the 204 up and they thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread...Lest they forget the 6, 6.5 and 7mmTCU. I still shoot and load for my 7mmTCU and love it. I will have another 222RMI someday.

I say go with the 222RMI and use the 223AI dies for it. You will love what it can do. 22/250 performance with a LOT less powder.

I'll second the 444 Marlin T/C barrel I have one in a 14" ported model and it is one of my best shooters. Pigs go Bang, Flip, Flip, Flop!
    Ken

Basic Member
    Sorry for getting off track....I have a 24" 6tcu tender barrel that I just love taking to the p-dog fields. Its really hard to find a load that barrel doesn't like.

I also have a Savage built in 25-223 that has been amazing.

Im not big on the 204 although I have one. Every time it comes out of the safe I think about rebarreling it to 222RMAI or 6TCU. I just like those little cases so much. 28gr of powder goes a long ways.

If I am understanding this correctly a 223 AI reamer would work for a 222RMAI if it were run a little deeper. Which had me thinking it would clean up a 223 chamber as is?
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 12-11-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Doug

n4ue
    DK, using the 223 AI reamer on my Axis .223 was easy and the cased fireformed perfectly. I just used a normal .223 load and the accuracy was excellent even while fireforming.
    Still can't decide between the 6.5 TCU or the .222 RM AI, which as KEN CO pointed out so well, is a 204R necked up to .224. I can make it with the .223 AI reamer, going deep.....

ron

dcloco
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    If i am understanding this correctly a 223 ai reamer would work for a 222rmai if it were run a little deeper. Which had me thinking it would clean up a 223 chamber as is?

yes!

KEN CO
    Mike Bellm re-chambers the T/C barrels to clean up bad chambers. Thus the 222RMI would fix an off center throat or chamber in a 22 cal barrel. He reamed my 44 Mag barrel to 444 Marlin and it is about the most accurate gun I own.

But back to the thread....Do the 222RMI!

Ken CO

n4ue
    KEN CO

Do you have any specific load data for the 22-204, or do you use the load data for the 222 Mag?
    I have 150 204 cases already expanded to 224 and can't wait to load some. Hope to pull the bbl off the Axis tomorrow and start rechambering......

ron

Basic Member
    I started with max 222RM loads in fire formed 222RMAI. I have a bench rest rifle in a 222 rm mag wildcat called a 22 tomcat l used max 223 loads for a start on that rifle.

I'm going to have to hunt down a 1:8 twist barrel and have a 222RMAI barrel made now.
    Doug

dcloco
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I'm going to have to hunt down a 1:8 twist barrel and have a 222RMAI barrel made now.

Stock up on 80 gr AMax's. My Shilen flogs these at 3Kish....with great accuracy to a grand.

n4ue
    Thanks for the tips on loads. I got my 223 Axis bbl rechambered to the 22-204 using the 223 AI reamer. Man, it took a while, but I did it by hand and went slow with lots of cutting oil and cleaning the reamer.
    I took it to the range this morning. I loaded the 22-204 brass with 24.5 gr of IMR 3031 which is not quite a max load in the 222 Mag. I used el-cheapo 55 gr FMJ Remington FMJs bullets just to fireform.. The cases expand .013" at the shoulder and have that beautiful Ackley shape.
    No signs of high pressure, tight primer, etc.
    To my great surprise, after getting the scope back on target, it shot a 3 shot group almost into one hole. Of course, it was only at 50 yards, but for the first attempt, I was thrilled.... I have already necksized the cases, using the same powder charge and substituted Nosler BTs (55 gr).....

ron