Thread: 12 lrp back from Savage

pahoghunter

12 lrp back from Savage

The big brown truck delivered my rifle last evening, the note in the box reads, "CLEAN AND CHECK COMPLETE ACTION, HEADSPACE GOOD, ADJUST FIRING PIN". So next week maybe I'll get a chance to take it back to the range.

bflee
    Why did you send it back? I just got mine yesterday and fit and finish look good, but boy it was dirty inside and out. I have to buy me a new cleaning kit to clean the barrel because I only have two links on my old one and that won't touch the 26" barrel. I was just wondering what your issues wer so I could check mine out. I won't even get any ammo until next week.

pahoghunter
    Quote Originally Posted by bflee View Post
    Why did you send it back? I just got mine yesterday and fit and finish look good, but boy it was dirty inside and out. I have to buy me a new cleaning kit to clean the barrel because I only have two links on my old one and that won't touch the 26" barrel. I was just wondering what your issues wer so I could check mine out. I won't even get any ammo until next week.
    Mine would not fire, the firing pin hit the primer but it wouldn't go off, so when I get a chance I have to do some reloading and get back to the range.

pahoghunter
    I took the 12 lrp to the range this AM 21 shells without a misfire, so keeping my fingers crossed that Savage found the problem?

bflee
    What kind of groups?

bflee,if you are using an aluminum rod which screws to gether ,throw it away as it is abrasive and will wear the barrel and crown prematurely.Get a good coated rod like a dewey and never look back.Please let us know how the rifle grouped as we are very curious.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

bflee
    That is the kind of rod I have but I have a sleeve which guides it and never touches barrel. I just got my bullets today but it's ugly outside around here. It will probably be the weekend before I shoot it. I aam looking forward to it. The barrel sure was ugly from the factory, but I don't care as long as it shoots.

pahoghunter
    The groups were ok, 2 groups were over one inch, the rest were under an inch the smallest .720, which isn't that good. Out of the box this gun shot very good after getting it on paper I never had a group over an inch. On return I did try a different powder IMR8208XBR. Before I was using IMR4350 & VARGET, bullets ranging from 58 to 105 grs. all of them gave very good accuracy. I can't see this problem giving accuracy problems? While it was at Savage I started looing into having it rechambered to 6mm br?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bflee View Post
    That is the kind of rod I have but I have a sleeve which guides it and never touches barrel. I just got my bullets today but it's ugly outside around here. It will probably be the weekend before I shoot it. I aam looking forward to it. The barrel sure was ugly from the factory, but I don't care as long as it shoots.
    Do you mean a bore guide? If so, that might protect the very back of the bore, but as far as I know rods always touch the inside of the barrel further down the barrel. 2-piece rods will eventually hack-away at it. Or do you have something that covers the whole rod?
    Last edited by foxx; 12-10-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling of " touch"

bflee
    I have little sleeves of plastic that I got from work and they slide on tight to the rod. I space them so the aluminum never touches. It is a hair smaller than the bore so it works pretty good. I still may invest in a good one though. All the other rifles I have are not meant to be target and I really want this one to print well so I will do all I can to make it shoot a long time and very accurate.

Basic Member
    Can you get some more of those?

XBR is probably too fast for a 243 shooting 95-107 class bullets...

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    bflee,if you are using an aluminum rod which screws to gether ,throw it away as it is abrasive and will wear the barrel and crown prematurely.Get a good coated rod like a dewey and never look back.Please let us know how the rifle grouped as we are very curious.
    What about the Pro-Shot products and rods? It seems a lot are using the rods with a guide. Just Wondering,

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Use a Dewey and always clean from the action end with a rod guide.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

pahoghunter
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    XBR is probably too fast for a 243 shooting 95-107 class bullets...
    Today I was using 60 gr Sie.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Can you get some more of those?
    I went to Harbor Fright and got a roll of heat shrink tube. Slip it on over the rod and heat it up. It can get messed up and then you just replace it.

bflee
    That will work. There are a lot of solutions to that problem without breaking the bank. I have used the little sleeves for a couple years now and haven't worn them out.