Thread: I love my 20yr old Rock Chucker even more now

Basic Member

I love my 20yr old Rock Chucker even more now

Here as of late I have been spending a lot of time at my reloading bench with my old favorite companion Mr. 20 year old Rock Chucker. Reloading is a stress reliever for me and my reloading bench is a place to go after one of those tough days at work. Like most when I started out reloading I started out on this single stage press which has seen tens of thousands of rounds throughout the years. And like most reloaders as technology have advanced I have moved forward with it owning a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press and a Hornady Progressive LnL press. Over the years I have found my Rock Chucker sitting lonely mounted to the end of the bench unless I am in need of rifle rounds. I still prefer to load all of my rifle ammunition on the single stage. Having tried rifle on a progressive the flow of the process does not feel safe to me, cleaning, full length sizing, stopping, trimming brass, stopping, priming brass, stopping ok you get the point I think. Now before you condemn me to eternal ****ation, there are many reloaders out there whom have mastered reloading rifle on a progressive press and feel totally comfortable with it. I guess it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks as I have the same process for the last 20 years of reloading rifle, processing batches at a minimal of 200 rounds at a time and it is this process I am most comfortable with. I also know that the Rock Chucker gives me more consistent tolerances having measured cartridge overall length utilizing the same exact dies just two different presses but I digress.

Though I enjoy reloading time is very precious as any session could be interrupted by a call from work or any other life moment. Though I have a 20 year old process thats tried and true I have made a few changes over the years to become more efficient, in a sense thats part of the excitement and joy of moving to a turret or progressive press. Spending so much time reloading pistol ammo as of late and really enjoying it I found myself at the bench looking down at the Rock Chucker asking myself what can I do to make rifle reloading more efficient and enjoyable. That's when it hit me, one of the things I love about my Hornady LnL is the ability to quickly change calibers, it is also the reason I purchased the Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press for low production ammunition runs. Enter the idea of possibly modding the Rock Chucker for easy caliber changes and I knew Hornady made a kit for this very task, the Hornady Lock and Load Conversion Kit. Like any mods I take on I make sure to have the right tools first to complete the job and for this one I was going to need to acquire a 1 1/2in socket as I did not have anything that large in my toolbox.

For the complete process go here http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=3172

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Speaking of old presses....
    I just pulled this monster out from under the bench. I'm going to "donate" to a young fella that wants to try his hand at reloading. I've had it for a few years & forgot all about it until I started my spring cleaning. The weather is just right for a little spring cleaning.

Since it's solid cast steel, I figure it can double as a boat anchor in the summer.
    Happy Reloading.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    wow thats awesome way to give back.

Basic Member
    You're right.
    And I enjoy helping these young guys out with limited means and/ or family.

Besides, he can probably pass that press down to his kid. I suspect it was made in the 70's sometime. I hope he does well with it.

Team Savage
    Seen "too many" BAD loads from a progressive press. I'll stick with my single stage Rock Chucker!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Bike Effects
    I now have a Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive for pistol but still use my 40??? year old Rock Chucker for rifle but have modded it to use the Hornady quick change bushings. A couple of years ago RCBS sent me the new style handle with the ball on the end. They did this without charge.

Basic Member
    Gotta love those old presses. Built like a '62 Cadillac.
    I've snapped the connectors / pivots on my Lee single stage 3 times. They replace them at no charge in fact, the nice lady at Lee sent me an extra set for "next time"...

They usually snap when FL sizing 30.06 cases. The part that really sucks is when I go on my hiney when they snap.

Hey Frank....

If you find that fella, let me know his address and I'll send him a scale (as long as he needs it).

Jim
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member
    Thanks Jim.
    PM sent to you.

dxjxrose
    thanks alot frank i am very fortunate to have met you on here. the way you have been helping me out is amazing i truly didnt know this kind of kindness still existed in the world we live in. thank you so much helping me get started reloading.

Basic Member
    No problem dj. As I told you, I'm glad to help. I had someone take me under their wing & "learn me the ropes" when I was a reloader in training. He's no longer here so now I want to pass it on. Pay it forward, if you will.

And wait until you go to mount this monster. You better have a bench made from structural lumber. Maybe a few 16"x 8" Glu-lam beams.