Thread: Scope height on Mark II FVXP

Chops

Scope height on Mark II FVXP

All -

Brand new to this forum, just purchased my first personal firearm last night, a Mark II FVXP.

Anyway, I had a question for the experts here. And you'll hate me because I dont have pics at the moment, but it's self explanatory. The rifle came with a scope which, when mounted, allows the front of it to literally touch the barrel. There is no room to put the caps on, no room to even slide an index card under, it is touching the free-floating barrel.

My question is - is that ok? I'd think that would be bad for both the scope and for the barrel. Could I have been given incorrect scope rings somehow?

I've emailed Savage to get their take, but thought I'd ping you all. If in fact they say I have the right rings and I want to raise the scope, that'd mean purchasing new rings right? So I could use the link from the sticky to determine what height rings I need?

Thanks for your help in advance for a beginner shooter - awesome community you guys have here!

Rob

Patch700
    Any contact between the objective lens and the rifle is going to be an issue.... Once something is touching you really have no idea of knowing how hard it is actually binding.... Be sure to check to see if in fact the rear rings are sitting properly in the base.. Have seen a few rifles where the rings were actually installed with the claws not all the way down but yet still managed to stay tight lol.

If they are indeed installed correctly then you are more than likely going to have to opt for higher rings or worse case scenario see if moving the scope ahead gives more clearance , albeit you would not have the correct eye relief.

Chops
    Thanks Patch!

I checked out the rear rings and they're mounted flush, not tilting the front end into the barrel.

I called Savage on Friday and they said they're sending me new rings - hoping they're slightly taller than the ones I've got. Hoping they come quickly - I wanted to hit the range this coming Friday.

Patch700
    Hopefully that solves your problem... Perhaps if you mentioned the scope , type of rings and base that you currently have there may be people on here that can tell you exactly what has and hasn't worked for them...

Lots of great information on here from people who've learned from hands on trial and error... The reason I'm saying this is you've already got a set of rings that are improper , where did they come from , who put them on etc.. If you purchased it this way brand new from a dealer then what's to say the next set will be correct?

Chops
    Patch/All -

New rings came in from Savage (they are Weaver style) and were taller - scope is now at a proper height, not resting on barrel and I can actually put the scope caps on.

Took it to the range yesterday for the first time and put 100 rounds through it. This is my first personal firearm, so I'm still learning quite a bit.

I was able to get the scope sighted in at 25 yards and was getting decent groups around the bullseye. But the problem is that when I zoom the scope in the view goes blurry. How do I adjust that? Looking through the sparse included directions it mentions a scope lock ring just in front of the eyepiece. I see a knurled ring there but it doesn't budge. Should I use a wrench on it? Would turning that adjust the focus?

I believe it's a Bushnell 3-9x40 though it isn't marked.

Thanks again for the help and time!

Jimmy21
    If its a scope that came on the rifle from savage it is probably complete junk. A decent scope usually costs more than the rifle its on. Sometimes a lot more. Its fairly common to put a $1500 scope on a $500 rifle. Scopes that come on rifles as a package are usually worth about $30. Only quality enough for a child's pellet gun.

You may have a decent scope and I'm way off, but that's probably the issue

Chops
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy21 View Post
    If its a scope that came on the rifle from savage it is probably complete junk. A decent scope usually costs more than the rifle its on. Sometimes a lot more. Its fairly common to put a $1500 scope on a $500 rifle. Scopes that come on rifles as a package are usually worth about $30. Only quality enough for a child's pellet gun.

You may have a decent scope and I'm way off, but that's probably the issue
    Jimmy - you're exactly right, it's the scope that came with it. I'm not experienced to know if it's a decent scope or not - but it had a bright image and I was getting good groups with it (granted just at 25 yds). I've read reviews of this package that said people were surprisingly pleased with the scope.

I'd rather see if I can't get this scope to focus before dropping big money on a scope for a $150 .22lr - though I can definitely see the reasoning behind an expensive scope on a rifle. In fact, it's not unlike DSLRS where you can easily drop $5k on a lens for a $2k camera.

But for now I'm easing my way into this hobby - saving my $$$ for more ammo.

So bottom line, the scope should be able to focus right? I should be able to have both the crosshairs and the image in focus at the same time at all focal lengths? And to do that, I'd have to loosen that lock ring and then turn the front part of scope until its focused and then lock it down again, right? Or am I way off base?

Thanks again Jimmy/all!

Basic Member
    chops,
    I will try to give you a bit more to think on here. I won't try to get all of the technical terms correct, but you will understand what I am getting at I hope.
    You will have to accept that you are working within the limitations of the equipment that you have, that scope is a low end scope and as such has limitations.
    A scope such as that package scope has a preset "objective" focus, probably somewhere between 25 and 50 yards. From that range out farther when you change the magnification, it stays pretty much in focus. But when you get closer and increase the magnification it creates distortion (for lack of a better term). Without the ability to adjust that objective focus your view will not clear up. That package scope does not have an AO (Adjustable Objective), hence you won't be able to adjust that. Anything out on the objective end of that scope is not meant for you to turn! Lol!
    The ring that you are looking at on the eyepiece (Ocular Lens), is adjustable... in layman's terms, you can adjust it in and out and use it to adjust the clarity and sharpness of the cross hairs as you view them through the reticle.
    I personally would just drop the magnification back down to the low end to shoot that combo at 25 yards.
    Truthfully, Walmart Tasco or Bushnell scopes are better scopes than what you currently have. I certainly understand a budget minded fellow that is trying to balance new optics vs more ammunition, multi $100 scopes are not in everyones budget.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Good luck!

Chops
    Ibex

Awesome info, really appreciate it! Next time I go back to the range I think I'll take your advice and keep the scope zoomed out and keep it there.

And I'll stop trying to turn things that probably aren't meant to be turned!

I'll eventually replace the scope but now that u have my first firearm, I've got the itch to get a shotgun, pistol, etc etc.

Thanks again!!