Thread: First reload results in 20+ years

Basic Member

First reload results in 20+ years

Reloaded my first set of rounds in over 20 years.

Loaded up some Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips over 43.5gr of IMR4895 in 7.62 brass for varmint use and to get the Mrs' more interested in shooting with the lighter recoil.
    Stock Axis in .308
    Led Sled without weights at 100 yards
    1 flier, 5 round group. (what looks like a flier at the upper edge of the caliper is a ricochet from someone else)

I did find out just how much flex there was in the stock...at 100 yards, pressing down on the wrist with one finger and light pressure moved the cross hairs up about "4-5" inches at the target through the scope

acemisser
    looks good...I been thinking about one of those Axis rifles..

n4ue
    pinsnscrews, hi. The stock fix is easy. Remove the butt pad and the action. Put some modeling clay in the rear trigger guard area.
    Put a length of 'all-thread' in the stock, so its a couple of inches short of the butt pad.
    Using some cardboard to keep the all-thread centered, just add fiberglass resin.
    I have an Axis in each caliber, (3 in .223). You can also add the resin to the fore end channel. I did this plus some lead, to dampen the recoil of the larger calibers.
    Works great!

ron

Basic Member
    I lurked for awhile before I registered n4ue. The hands on work shown in the Axis section is outstanding for all the tips and tricks.

Sometimes, You just need that lightbulb moment, where you actually get to "see" what others have been talking about to have a really good grasp on why they made the mods they did.

Since I was using 7.62 brass, with the smaller case capacity, I wanted to approach max published load data slowly. There is still room to add more powder. No signs of pressure issues appeared. Primers looked just like they did when I made the rounds! and the bolt opened just fine with no stiffness.

Plans for future reloads call for slugging the bore for cast and maybe even paper patched cast. Aside from the light 125gr loads, plans are for 165gr jacketed, 180gr and 200gr cast loads, spire and round nose.