Thread: Savage Model 25 bolt problem

claysshotgunner

Savage Model 25 bolt problem

I have searched thru here , but had no luck finding anything on here.

I just received a Model 25 204 Ruger. Great looking gun. I have not yet been able to fire it. I did make a snap cap, so I could release the firing pin. Here is my problem. After the firing pin has been released ( fired ), it is impossible for me to cycle the bolt without taking the gun from my shoulder. My father and I both tried it with no luck.

On another site, they indicated this is a problem that has to be lived with, as it is the action being cocked. It is very irritating tho to have to put the gun in my lap to get leverage to work the bolt. I find it hard to believe this can not be improved upon.

I found yet another site which had 2 or 3 guys saying they had this problem.

Any thoughts or ideas ?

oldguy

Re: Savage Model 25 bolt problem

When new my M25 was difficult on the bench working the bolt(actually stood placed left hand on top of rifle and lifted bolt) but over a period of several visits to the range and using gun butter grease at various points on the bolt problem has disappeared.. :) Others may have a quick fix but in my opinion its a time/break in, nothing more.

Note: it shoots consistent .500 or less with my reloads.

Basic Member

My M25 .204 bolt problem was a little different. Mine would open and close no problem, even after pulling the trigger. I just couldn't chamber a round. The bolt would not close with a round loaded. Empty was smooth as silk though. Strange that they are having such problems. Sounds like they are good shooters, but I got my money back and went with a mod 12.

claysshotgunner

Oldguy, that is exactly how I have to do now. Well, guess I will shoot it a while this weekend and see if it gets better.

oldguy

Quote Originally Posted by claysshotgunner
    Oldguy, that is exactly how I have to do now. Well, guess I will shoot it a while this weekend and see if it gets better.
    I would give it some time if it doesn't get better call Savage but I believe it will improve they are very tight
    when new reminds me of my Remington 788 I purchased in the 70's it also was a tack driver, what surprised
    me was the accuracy of the 25, it equals my heavy barrel model 12,(both 223).